Author Topic: Annealing .45 Colt  (Read 1362 times)

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Annealing .45 Colt
« on: July 19, 2022, 07:39:44 PM »
 Trying my hand at annealing. The cases are .45 Colt. I used a propane torch and drill to turn the case mouths in the flame for about 4 - 6 seconds. At 4 - 6 seconds I did not really see any of them start to glow. If anything, they just turned a slight brownish color. I am not sure if it actually annealed them but I was more afraid of over-annealing.

I did run a few cases to glowing red and it took probably 10 - 15 seconds or more to really get the case mouths to glow red. These ones were just a test and were discarded.

My question is, at 4 - 6 seconds I am not really sure they were fully annealed, is there any safety hazard with using under annealed cases?

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
Re: Annealing .45 Colt
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2022, 11:13:18 PM »
Why are you annealing the cases?

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 08:00:22 AM »
Just to make them last longer. I would be shooting them out of an SAA.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:21:15 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2022, 08:52:41 AM »

:)  LonesomePigeon  ;)

There is no hazard associated with "under" annealed cases.  With my personal method, I get colour change is about 6 seconds.  I count the seconds off, "Thousand One, Thousand Two, Thousand Three, etc., and get consistent colour change.

In the past, I have not recommended annealing for pistol cases.  The will expand well enough to become hard to extract from the average pistol cylinder.  I also don't consider annealing as a viable (efficient) method to extend case life.  Annealing is most useful to eliminate Chamber Blow-By in rifles.  Just my take.

Play Safe Out There

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2022, 10:54:36 AM »
I use the drill method to anneal my cases. I dim the lights and hold the heat on them until they barely start to glow, certainly not until they are glowing a bright red. This has worked for me to reduce blow-by and extend case life in rifles and revolvers. I haven't run into any real issues with it. Under annealing won't harm anything, but it won't really help anything either.

Just my experience and peace.

Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2022, 11:12:37 AM »
A wheat, or as you describe it 'brown' color is the goal. If they are glowing red, they are on the edge of destruction.  As soon as they're a wheat/yellow, drop 'em in the water and carry on with the next one.  I'm not convinced it is necessary to spin them.  I just set them with the base of the case in water, run a torch over them, and tip them over.

The value to me of annealing is in reloading -- sizing, belling, bullet seating, and crimping all happen more smoothly and consistently with annealed cases -- those are the stages in a case's life where work hardening is mostly accrued.  In these times of unavailable components, preserving cases is more important than in more normal times.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2022, 08:08:00 PM »
Thank you, great info.

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2022, 12:28:00 AM »
Hi
An additional advantage to annealing is that the case expands to minimize blow by in .45 Colt and .45 Schofield cases. 
Lalter
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline Bunk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2022, 01:37:38 PM »
I solved the blow by problem in my rifle by fire forming .44-40 thin mouth cases to .45 Colt. Works in a rifle will NOT work in a revolver because of some case head size difference.
Worked for me. Starline .44-40 cases have a straight case wall it is not a hard job and you get to shoot not labor over a hot burner.
Bunk

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2022, 08:28:44 PM »
I solved the blow by problem in my rifle by fire forming .44-40 thin mouth cases to .45 Colt. Works in a rifle will NOT work in a revolver because of some case head size difference.
Worked for me. Starline .44-40 cases have a straight case wall it is not a hard job and you get to shoot not labor over a hot burner.
Bunk
Hi Bunk
I'd try that, but I already have a LOT of .45 Colt and more .45 Schofield. 
Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2022, 09:26:29 PM »
Never annealed any .45 colt but I don’t shoot black.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com