Author Topic: New To Me Navy Arms Remington Navy .36  (Read 3720 times)

Offline Marshall John Joseph

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
New To Me Navy Arms Remington Navy .36
« on: November 10, 2018, 02:28:39 PM »
 I came across a mint 1962 Gregorelli/Uberti Navy Arms Remington Navy .36 cal in the original display box with all accoutrements. Top of the barrel says Navy Arms, Ridgefield, NJ.  I had to repair the latch with a brass button.  In addition, there is an UNFIRED .38 spl Taylors conversion cylinder with it, fitted by Taylors for the revolver.  Absolutely no rust, clean bore, don't know if it was ever fired.  Any idea what the whole kit and kaboodle is worth?

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: New To Me Navy Arms Remington Navy .36
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 01:00:36 PM »

In all honesty, I don't have a clue.  I don't like Remington and because of my bad attitude, I have never pursued prices on them.  However:

Based on how badly you wanted it, to you, it is/was worth at least what you paid for it.  Whether it would be worth a similar amount to someone else??  Who knows.

Brandy Knew '58s run 3 to 5 Hundred bucks depending.  The conversion cylinders run 2 to 250.  Somewhere around a hundred and a half and two hundred for the box and the rest of the goodies.  So .... at retail ..... NEW ...... somewhere around 8 would be a fair guess.

Wow.  I started out with no clue and with a little Google Foo was able to come up with a WAG.  Cool.  I still don't like Remington.

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 02:10:25 AM »
My congrats MJJ: what a rare find, certainly a collector's piece.
A G&U .36 Remmy.
G&U started making the Rem NM Navy sometime in 1960 only.
If it were over here in Germany the price would be ca. T$ 1,0 for the Remmy and case alone.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:49:07 PM »

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 05:06:26 PM »
i find the prices of used percussion revolvers to be (with a few exceptions) to he very inconsistent--a lot depends on your region. My New Model .36 from 1960 is wonderfully balanced and I think you will find it a joy to shoot. Mine was marked Western Arms and I am pretty sure it is a G-U--regardless it is most definitily. not for sale.

Offline Marshall John Joseph

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 07:16:51 AM »
Don’t intend to sell. When I was a kid back in 1962 I use to walk past Navy Arms in Ridgefield and would marvel at the firearms there.  To clarify, I repaired the latch on the box.  The revolver is perfect. The owner lost interest in the pistol and traded me for it.  He defined the trade for a Maverick slug gun. I advised him to keep the Remington but he insisted.  I didn’t need another bp revolver but I heard that these early revolvers manufactured by Gregorelli-Uberti were well fit and finished.  Plus the Ridgefield connection was icing on the cake for me.  Maybe it was one of those in the display case that I dreamed about when I was a kid?  Maybe not. ;D. Makes for a good story.  I am happy with the trade and so is he.

MJJ

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 09:50:09 PM »
 That is a nice piece. I have 4 Gregorelli & Uberti 1851 Navy repros. I always keep an eye out for anything GU. The '51's seem to be the most common. Besides the ones I have I've seen about 5 or 6 come up in the last 3 years or so. In that same time I've seen probably 2 or 3 Griswold & Gunnison .36 caliber and 2 Remington .44 calibers. I can't remember any Remington .36 calibers besides yours. I paid from $150 to $325 for my '51's and none of them were new except the one I got for $150. It was new but had no box or anything with it.

All of my '51's do not fit any modern caps. You can get replacement nipples from Track of The Wolf that will take Remingon #10 caps. The replacement nipples are the ones that say "for original Colt's", in other words the nipple thread size for the GU '51 is that same thread size as for original Colt 1851's. Although the threads fit GU's the nipples are still too long and I had to file the recoil shield to allow for clearance for the cylinder to rotate with caps on. I'm not sure if the GU Remington's take the same size nipples though.

Offline dwa

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 02:54:58 PM »
That is a nice piece. I have 4 Gregorelli & Uberti 1851 Navy repros. I always keep an eye out for anything GU. The '51's seem to be the most common. Besides the ones I have I've seen about 5 or 6 come up in the last 3 years or so. In that same time I've seen probably 2 or 3 Griswold & Gunnison .36 caliber and 2 Remington .44 calibers. I can't remember any Remington .36 calibers besides yours. I paid from $150 to $325 for my '51's and none of them were new except the one I got for $150. It was new but had no box or anything with it.

All of my '51's do not fit any modern caps. You can get replacement nipples from Track of The Wolf that will take Remingon #10 caps. The replacement nipples are the ones that say "for original Colt's", in other words the nipple thread size for the GU '51 is that same thread size as for original Colt 1851's. Although the threads fit GU's the nipples are still too long and I had to file the recoil shield to allow for clearance for the cylinder to rotate with caps on. I'm not sure if the GU Remington's take the same size nipples though.

I searched the Track of The Wolf website but could not find these.  What part number specifically do you use?

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/64/1

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com