Author Topic: 1876 Winchester Carbine Restoration project...Help!!!  (Read 2130 times)

Offline Jdef75

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1876 Winchester Carbine Restoration project...Help!!!
« on: May 21, 2016, 11:38:22 PM »
A while ago, I had the fortune to pick up a beautiful original 1876 Carbine in 45-60. Unfortunately she has a few parts damaged or missing, that I'm going crazy trying to find replacements for.

These are:

Right toggle link assembly - this is proving almost impossible to find. I thought I could use the Uberti until I came across a wonderful comparison of '76s, Uberti v Orig (many many thanks Grizzly Adams)

Magazine tube - a few for the rifle length, none for the 19inches or so carbine length

Butt stock - I have a crack in mine...it could be repaired. But I have seen quite a few, cheap stocks for sale....but are carbine and rifle stocks interchangeable?

I would be so so grateful for any advice on the above. She's in fine shape, and not missing much...it's just so vexing that what's missing is so hard to find

Thank You

Julian

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: 1876 Winchester Carbine Restoration project...Help!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 06:52:31 PM »
Hi JDL,
As you have found, Uberti and Winchester parts are not compatible.  In the past I have had good luck with "Buckingham's Antique
Winchesters.  He ain't cheap but usually has a good selection of parts.  Day:  731 559 4169  Cell: 731 431 7350

I would doubt you would find the stocks interchangeable.  There will/would be some fitting.  You may wish to contact "Macon Gunstocks"
but I would suggest cleaning the crack with Alcohol to get the oil out, Mixing some sawdust with Epoxy and forcing the epoxy into the crack.  Normally, an Epoxy fix is permanent.

A Magazine Tube can be cut.  Then fitted.  You may find a Uberti Magazine Tube to be workable.

Coffinmaker

Offline Jdef75

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 09:57:30 AM »
Hi JDL,
As you have found, Uberti and Winchester parts are not compatible.  In the past I have had good luck with "Buckingham's Antique
Winchesters.  He ain't cheap but usually has a good selection of parts.  Day:  731 559 4169  Cell: 731 431 7350

I would doubt you would find the stocks interchangeable.  There will/would be some fitting.  You may wish to contact "Macon Gunstocks"
but I would suggest cleaning the crack with Alcohol to get the oil out, Mixing some sawdust with Epoxy and forcing the epoxy into the crack.  Normally, an Epoxy fix is permanent.

A Magazine Tube can be cut.  Then fitted.  You may find a Uberti Magazine Tube to be workable.

Coffinmaker

Thanks so much coffinmaker. Thats given me quite a bit to go on.
Yes, the Epoxy will be my default solution. Its not a huge crack...caused when it was sitting in someones back shed for years and the wood dried out.
I got on to Albert Buckingham and it does sound like he could be the answer to my winchester prayers :)

Again, many thanks

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:58:13 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com