Author Topic: 1863 Pocket Remington Conversion to .32acp  (Read 3881 times)

Offline Boogzy

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1863 Pocket Remington Conversion to .32acp
« on: September 10, 2014, 08:03:17 AM »
Hi all!

I'm posting this as I've been quite interested in the possibility of firing .32acp cartridges from the pocket Remington. While searching the internet for information regarding this topic I could find only two threads that had any mention regarding the possibility.
 They're both a bit dated but about all the information I could find.

The older being:http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-571050.html
With the newer being: http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=37722.0

The main meat of the threads is in regards to a .32S&W Short conversion by Kirst and some issues that it might have along with a small discussion regarding the possibility of a conversion to .32acp. The reason listed as to why this wasn't possible was due to 'headspacing/chambering issues' with no further information given on the subject, unfortunately. The two main contributors to the threads are both CAScity members (Raven, not having been active in almost a year and Hoof Hearted who is, as far I understand, having issues far more important to deal with that I don't even want to bother him with the distraction of shooting him a PM. On a side note, I've never met or talked to him but I am wishing the best in dealing with his current situation. I can tell by the threads I've read through that you all hold him in very high regard.)

The CAScity thread even goes over how an issue with the Kirst Konverter was solved by handloading the Shorts to .32acp specs. So apparently the pressures of this semi modern cartridge aren't the issue that I thought they would be.

As far as headspacing and chambering issues are concerned I understand that there are conversion cylinders for the Nagant revolver chambered in .32acp that seemingly work fine so I guess somebody is doing it.

I guess the reason that I am having trouble wrapping my head around this is because, at least to my inexperienced eyes, the .32acp has the basic requirements for use in a revolver (even though the rim is small) and even the factory pressures seem to be usable in this instance.

Just to clarify, I do understand that the Pocket Remingtons bore is too large to accurately fire a modern style .32 bullet. But correcting that is something that seems fairly straight forward. Either re-line the barrel if possible or replace it with one of the correct dimensons.

I'm hoping that someone might be able to shine some light on this for me either way as apparently I must be missing something.

Thanks in advance,
-B

Offline Crossdrawnj

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
Re: 1863 Pocket Remington Conversion to .32acp
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 09:55:45 AM »
Taylor's offers a conversion cylinder to .32 short for the little Remington.

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/cartridge-conversions/1863-pocket-remington.html

I'd like to get one myself, but, I don't have the funds right now.

Offline Boogzy

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 07:06:30 PM »
Yeah, I saw those and they are pretty darm cool. I guess if nothing else then you could order one and have it reamed out just a tad to fit the acp case deminsions (which are just a tad bigger all aroud except for the case rim diameter).

I don't know, I guess I'm just still hung up on the thought of being able to swing around to the local shops and pick up some boxes of rounds since they are still fairly popular as concealed carry rounds. Whereas I don't recall seeing any boxes of .32 S&W sitting on the shelfs. But then again, I never was looking for them.

Thanks for the link though. It's much apperciated.

-B

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:16:22 AM »

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 07:51:25 PM »
I have loaded for .32 S&W using .38acp cases. it works IF YOU STICK TO S&W SHORT LOADS.

One caution; The rims on the acp case are THINNER, resulting in possible headspace issues. I stopped using them when I found a couple of boxes of R-P .32S&W Short ammo.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com