Author Topic: problem after installing lighter main spring on a uberti 1875  (Read 6489 times)

Offline Dusty Earl

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I installed lighter main springs from VTI in both my uberti 1875's. Took it to the range today. One miss fire every 5 shots in both guns. The adjusting screw didn't seem to help much. The rounds I was using were using winchester primers. I few CCI primed ones that I had seemed to work. You take what you can get with primers where I live. I have my first ever match this saturday. I will have to put the orginal springs back till I can sort this out.

Offline St8LineLeatherSmith

• The Poly Grip Kids alter ego AKA Pappy Polygrip since I ain't a kid no more
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • grand master of striking one tool against another
    • The St8 Line Leathersmith
  • Liked:
Re: problem after installing lighter main spring on a uberti 1875
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 08:54:02 PM »
did the cartridge primers have a good indention?
if so then the main spring is not the issue you might want to get a lighter trigger spring as well
the smoother and slicker your trigger parts are the smoother the gun will operate
file, clean and polish any rough parts in the trigger group and replace the springs.
No matter where ya go there ya are
Society Of Remington Revolver Shooters (SCORRS)
Brother Artisan Master At Large Of TEH BROTHERHOOD OF TEH SUBLYME  & HOLEY ORDER OF TEH SOOT, (SHOTS)
The St8 Line Leathersmith
ChattownLeatherheads

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 10:35:58 AM »
Put the original springs back in and write it off to experience.  How much do you think you'll gain with lighter springs anyway?
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Advertising

Offline St8LineLeatherSmith

• The Poly Grip Kids alter ego AKA Pappy Polygrip since I ain't a kid no more
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • grand master of striking one tool against another
    • The St8 Line Leathersmith
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 01:54:17 PM »
I have the light main spring and piano wire trigger spring gives me a 2 1/2 lb trigger pull I dont remember what the hammer pull was but it is significantly lighter
I couldnt operate the action with my right hand without the spring replacement
not only do my 58's have light springs so do my 75's
No matter where ya go there ya are
Society Of Remington Revolver Shooters (SCORRS)
Brother Artisan Master At Large Of TEH BROTHERHOOD OF TEH SUBLYME  & HOLEY ORDER OF TEH SOOT, (SHOTS)
The St8 Line Leathersmith
ChattownLeatherheads

Offline The Swede

• Top Active Citizen
    • Lars Olsson Photography
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 02:51:45 PM »
I installed the same main spring from VTI a couple of years ago. Not to make me faster (nothing would help there), but because the stock spring was mighty stiff, and made it a chore to cock the piece. I'm a big guy with strong hands, but man'o man that spring was stiff. I never had issue with misfires.
I would adjust that screw if you haven't already done so. See if that helps?  :-\

Swede

Offline The Swede

• Top Active Citizen
    • Lars Olsson Photography
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 02:53:00 PM »
I installed the same main spring from VTI a couple of years ago. Not to make me faster (nothing would help there), but because the stock spring was mighty stiff, and made it a chore to cock the piece. I'm a big guy with strong hands, but man'o man that spring was stiff. I never had issue with misfires.
I would adjust that screw if you haven't already done so. See if that helps?  :-\

Swede

Please ignore the part about adjusting the screw. Re-read your original post. :-[

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com