Author Topic: costume question  (Read 22939 times)

Offline cowboy_paul

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
costume question
« on: December 10, 2012, 12:21:03 PM »
Im wanting to put together a outlaw/sometimes cowboy character costume as a first timer, what are the rules on is of a burlap mask as per of the costume, an over the shoulder rifle scabbard to carry my rifle around and saddle bags for extra ammo and just hand carrying the shotgun, also how practical is all of that, I know weight is an issue, any other concerns?

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: costume question
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 12:37:09 PM »
If you're talking SASS, it's your outfit wear what you want. There are a couple of categories with requirements but if you avoid those you'll be fine. Now, you're going to wind up using more stuff than just your guns and ammo. There will be a couple of tools you'll want to carry, screwdrivers and such, maybe some water and a snack, sometimes extra ammo including shotgun shells, a knife, empty cases, etc. I used to just carry my stuff but now have a red wagon. I don't know anyone that shoots more than a match or three who doesn't get something to carry all the stuff in. Try carrying but I'll bet you'll windup with a cart or buggy or something.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 01:12:22 PM »
Shotgun's got it, your costume, do what floots yer boat. Most clubs have a gun rack (stand) to hold your long guns. I give the same advice to all new shooters, before you spend one dime on guns and gear start going to as many local matches as you can find, you'll figure out what works for you. Don't try to put it all together first, only to find half of it won't work. Good Luck :)

Jefro :D Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:12:20 PM »

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 02:47:28 PM »
Burlap mask isn't the best idea for comfort, consider cotton or silk. Carrying a rifle in a over the shoulder scabbard could pesent problems as the rifles action must remain open and when handled must be muzzle up for range safty rules. Saddle bags are fine but you'll want some place to lay it down when ropen or robbing. Have you been to a match even just to look around? Take what you have and odds are some one will take you under wing and get you headed on the right trail.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline cowboy_paul

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 04:20:46 PM »
I meant cotton when I wrote that, was just thinking burlap I guess, and no I haven't been to a match yet, just have what I use out at the ranch as far as gear goes, cotton duckcloth bags for masks are on order, I saw a cart for hauling my hear around at the LGS but can't imagine dropping $300 on a cart when I could just carry it all, but forgot about the rules of action open and muzzle up, maybe I should just bring my horse and put my gear on him, lol

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 04:35:13 PM »
I meant cotton when I wrote that, was just thinking burlap I guess, and no I haven't been to a match yet, just have what I use out at the ranch as far as gear goes, cotton duckcloth bags for masks are on order, I saw a cart for hauling my hear around at the LGS but can't imagine dropping $300 on a cart when I could just carry it all, but forgot about the rules of action open and muzzle up, maybe I should just bring my horse and put my gear on him, lol

After you have carried all the crap you need for a shoot around a few times you will think that $300.00 is the best money you ever spent.  Carrying all your gear is impractical.  Once in a while you see a new shooter trying to carry in two hands what he really needs five or six hands for and at the next match he/she has some kind of cart.  It's about like trying to carry all your golf clubs, balls, tees, etc. without a golf bag.

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 06:16:26 PM »
I know a cowboy shooter that uses this as a gun cart.

SASS29170L

Offline Grapevine Jimmy

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 09:28:30 AM »
 ;D That gun cart looks kinda "Fluffy" to me.

The very first CAS match I ever attended, Jefero told me, "Let me warn you, it can be addictive." He was very right!

I have had the pleasure of shooting in matches with both Red Cent and Jeffero and both have given me extremely good advice.

Y'all heard that from the "Grapevine" Jimmy   ::)
BOLD #809
Hiram's Ranger #30
Carolina Cattlemen's Shooting & social Society
Waiting at the South Gate:"...it is good to meet you thus alone."

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 11:51:56 AM »
Here's a simply gun cart made from a pull golf cart. You can usually find these at yard sales for $10. Good Luck :)
Gun Cart

I have had the pleasure of shooting in matches with both Red Cent and Jeffero and both have given me extremely good advice.

Grapevine, where ya been?? ??? I thought you were gonna come shoot some Wild Bunch with us. Merry Christmas :)

Jefro :D Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 04:19:41 PM »
First home made gun cart

SASS29170L

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 04:24:08 PM »
Personally, i think you will get tired of that mask pretty quick. Trying to shoot, transition guns below your line of sight, throwing a rifle or shotgun up and looking down the barrel is not going to be fun. Now if it is 32 degrees with a slight wind, it might work out. 98, no wind and bright sun may change your mind. 'Course, you won't get sunburned. ;D
SASS29170L

Offline Grapevine Jimmy

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 10:01:06 AM »
Jefro, We sold our place at the coast and have been shooting Wild Bunch at Creedmore which is only 8 miles from home. Maybe now we'll make a special trip to Wilmington and get to do both CAS and WB. I always check the Buccanner scores and Miss Cindt Ella's pictures when they get posted.

"Let me warn ya, this can be addictive."  ;D

Grapevine Jimmy
BOLD #809
Hiram's Ranger #30
Carolina Cattlemen's Shooting & social Society
Waiting at the South Gate:"...it is good to meet you thus alone."

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 11:58:55 AM »
Hi,

Just a thought ..... any suggestions of where I could find plaid 1850s plaid pants?
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 02:45:20 PM »
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 10:37:06 PM »
Major 2,

I bookmarked the set and will contact them when I have the cash in the bank ... thanks for the head's up !
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Garand

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 09:48:55 AM »

Before you spent $0.01, got to the SASS website, download the manuals. Makes more sense than wasting your money on kit that may or may not be allowed depending which category you shoot in.
SASS # 93688
aka Dapper Dynamite Dick

Offline Allie Mo

• Very Active Citizen
    • California Gunslingers
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 06:18:47 PM »
Hi Paul,

I've seen folks start out carrying guns. It didn't last long. Remember you will need ammo too and on hot days, water is a good idea. I also have an umbrella, seat, brass grabber, and brass basket on a broom handle.

Also, you can almost tell the new shooter's carts by the size. If you've got a pickup, or it is easy to dissassemble, that could be okay. Most folks go to smaller carts or those that break down. Then there are the Rugged Gear carts. They are very light, canvas, hold lots, and fold.

In the mean time, there will probably be many folks with room for another person on their cart. I do.

Happy Shooting,

Allie Mo

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 12:22:16 AM »
I've just had a costume observation.

I shoot NCOWS but I've been considering branching out a little.

In considering what class I might shoot in SASS I was excited to see the Classic Cowboy class......then I saw the unusual costume requirements.

For fun I looked through the pages of the Time Life book Cowboys and couldn't find a single picture of a real old west cowboy who's dress would allow him to shoot in the SASS Classic Cowboy class. LOL

This caught me off guard since I've heard other folks gruff on the so called strict dress requirements of NCOWS.

I'm finding if you want to shoot your firearms historically accurate that SASS is far more restrictive, and requires you to wear combinations of articles that you would have very seldom seen a Cowboy wear all at the same time.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline John Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2013, 10:15:16 AM »
Classic Cowboy, and B-Western are the only 2 catagories (SASS doesn't have any classes) that have costume requirements.  I shoot both SASS and NCOWS wearing the same clothing.  In fact, those are the only ones that require boots and hats. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com