Author Topic: How did you choose your alias?  (Read 63477 times)

Offline delmar

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
How did you choose your alias?
« on: December 30, 2009, 04:44:44 PM »
I did a search, and I didn't find a thread that discussed the question "How did you choose your alias"?

So I thought I would start.

I have been thinking about mine for a while, and I think I have found one I like!  My "given name" is Delmar and it is a unique enough name that I wanted it to be part of my cowboy handle. As those of you who speak Español are aware, the word Delmar means "of the sea" So I decided I wanted to use a variation of the tuna company name "Chicken of the Sea".  Since, however, I am a male,  I thought it best to go with the name "Gallo Delmar" (pronounced Guy-O) Which, when translated means "Rooster of the Sea"! What do you think?

OK who is next?
Edit: for those of you who's explanation is of modern origin it would be fun to come up with a colorful
 "pre 1900 alternative explanation" Please feel free to suggest invented explanations for others as well!  ;D

Offline boot strap jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: How did you choose your alias?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 06:40:57 PM »
Kids seen my mule eared boots, added my nic name.
BSJ

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 07:54:41 PM »
Mine is on my birth certificate.  Really.  I'm not kidding.  Would I lie about something like that?   ::)

Wanna buy a bridge?   :o
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:28:17 AM »

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 09:48:22 PM »
"Nighteyes" is essentially a condensation/combination/variation of various nicknames I've had over my life, because I really do -- er, did -- have exceptional night vision.

"Daniel" comes from a character description I once developed.  "Daniel" sort of took control, so to speak (fiction writers know exactly what I mean), and the character description became the first chapter of a novel that I have yet to finish.  Like the Daniel in my novel, Daniel Nighteyes was raised by his maternal grandparents.  His grandmother, a devout Christian, named him after her favorite Bible story, Daniel and the Lion's Den.

What is rather interesting, though, is that "Nighteyes" turns out to be DANIEL'S alias as well!

Offline delmar

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 04:01:23 AM »
"Nighteyes" is essentially a condensation/combination/variation of various nicknames I've had over my life, because I really do -- er, did -- have exceptional night vision.

"Daniel" comes from a character description I once developed.  "Daniel" sort of took control, so to speak (fiction writers know exactly what I mean), and the character description became the first chapter of a novel that I have yet to finish.  Like the Daniel in my novel, Daniel Nighteyes was raised by his maternal grandparents.  His grandmother, a devout Christian, named him after her favorite Bible story, Daniel and the Lion's Den.

What is rather interesting, though, is that "Nighteyes" turns out to be DANIEL'S alias as well!
Interesting indeed! Also according to Wikipedia, the name Daniel means "God is my judge"

Online Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 273
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 07:29:36 AM »
Lonesome Dove is my favorite movie. I wanted Woodrow McCrae but it was taken. I'm a bit of a joker like Gus and my first name is John so I took Johnny McCrae.

Here is a bit of history about Johnny McCrae....

Johnny was born on June 24, 1825 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin to Vincent and Anne McCrae. Johnny’s father owned a cigar factory where Johnny worked as a young boy.

His uncle, George McCrae had migrated to Tennessee in 1824 and eventually to Texas in 1827 where he enlisted in the Texas Rangers and rose to the rank of Sergeant. Johnny was able to visit him in 1839 and also in 1842. Johnny idolized his uncle and set his lifelong goal to become a Texas Ranger. His father had other ideas and sent Johnny to business school in Chicago with hopes of Johnny helping him run the family business. After a year and a half of business school, Johnny Went back to Milwaukee and told his father he was going to Texas to join the Texas Rangers with his uncle George.

Johnny joined the Texas Rangers in 1851. Johnny’s father begged his brother George to keep Johnny out of harm’s way and he was relegated to office chores mainly record keeping and bookkeeping. Johnny begged his Uncle to reassign him to the field but to no avail. In 1852 Johnny’s life changed when his uncle was killed while out on patrol. Johnny was assigned to field duty and he eventually rose to the rank of Sergeant.

When the hostilities broke out between the North and South, Johnny went back to Milwaukee and enlisted in the 6th Wisconsin (Iron Brigade). Johnny was wounded at Gettysburg and mustered out of the Army in 1865. He was now forty years old and did not want to go back to Texas or Wisconsin. After stints as a Stagecoach Guard, Sheriff’s Deputy and Saloonkeeper, in 1876 He ended up in Deadwood, South Dakota working in a gold mine as the paymaster rising to the position of Mine Superintendent. In 1890 Johnny resigned his position at the mine and retired. He headed for Wyoming and Montana.  Johnny spent the next three years hunting and fishing. It was now 1894 and his 70th birthday was approaching....... 

You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline delmar

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 08:30:28 AM »
Hard for a cowboy to go wrong with a good Lonesome Dove reference!

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 10:35:35 AM »
My alias is based mainly on some story lines that I've come up with over the past couple of years.
A work in progress.

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 10:44:07 AM »
In 1980 I got into two Police Shooting in one night. First I dusted a rape suspect with a shotgun. Then about 5 or 6 minutes later a guy tried to run me over with a car so I fired a round of buckshot into the engine compartment trying to stop him. The song 'Shotgun Willie' was real popular and my Sergant began to call me 'Shotgun', the nickname stuck.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 11:06:34 AM »
Howdy Delmar,

Mine came about because Lee Van Cleef is one of my favorite film hero's and my buddy 'Mule' said I tend to squint my eyes a lot when I'm shooting.

After I registered it with this forum, he only turns round and sez, "you better not use that,,,it sounds a bit girly",,,,,HAH!! ::)

This from a guy who needs galluses to hold up his gunbelt ;)

Next???

Angel Eyes ;D
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 11:17:05 AM »
This from a guy who needs galluses to hold up his gunbelt ;)

Ah, another member of NBAT (no backside at-tall)!  I've known several of the members, and have even shot with a few.  'Tis difficult indeed to shoot a long gun while using one hand to hold up yer belt an' britches... :o ;D

Offline Kidd Krystin

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 12:21:17 PM »
 ;D I live on Krystin Place.  And being sixty-six years old I kinda like being called "Kidd".  ::)

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 06:34:23 PM »
Ya know, if I'd thought of it 'way back when, my alias would probably have been Comanche Doyle.  That's Cuba Gooding Jr.'s "alias" in the comedy western movie Lightning Jack!

Offline Philly Slim

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 07:16:53 PM »
I'm originally from the City of Brotherly Love and I'm currently tipping the scales at about 250 on the hoof.  ;D
Is it just me or, do Buffalo Wings taste like chicken?

Offline Short Knife Johnson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 09:27:30 PM »
The first shoot (was more of a trial run for CAS in the area) I went to years ago, one of the guys laughed about the short bone-handled knife I had on my gunbelt.  This spring when at my first real shoot, I thought of this and put down "Short Knife."  This is in contrast with the ubiquitous large Bowie type blades you see so often.  I added "Johnson" after seeing "Blazing Saddles" one day.  I just have to officially change it with my club. 

Incidentally, I usually have some sort of really compact blade on my person at most times anyway. 

It's kind of neat to hear everyone's story behind their name.

Offline delmar

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2010, 12:54:15 AM »

It's kind of neat to hear everyone's story behind their name.
Yes it is.I'm pretty sure this is the best responded to, thread I have started here! Thanks Pards!

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2010, 05:05:55 PM »
Howdy

I had the Driftwood moniker for a while. We won't go into that. Then one day I attended a Blazing Saddles match. Everybody had 'Johnson' tagged onto the end of their alias for the day. Ya have to watch the movie to understand that. I liked it so much that I made it permanent.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2010, 05:26:22 PM »
Real last name is Chambers.
My first alias was Fully Loaded Chambers. But got tired of playing the town drunk, so when I started shooting black powder, I changed it to Russ T. Chambers.
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2010, 06:51:42 PM »
Mine was given to me as a camp name back in my mountainman/rendezvous days. 

My personna is my GGGrandfather, Born 1842 in Smith County Texas, Served with his 3 brothers in K Co 3rd Texas Cavalry from June 1861 through the end of the war of Northern Aggression.  Set up a blacksmiths shop in Longview Texas after the war, was a farmer, blacksmith, Post Master and Justice of the Peace.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2010, 10:44:13 PM »
I live near the Silver Creek and I'm slimmer than some.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com