Author Topic: 1873 winchester loading problem  (Read 3042 times)

Offline monte walsh

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1873 winchester loading problem
« on: January 31, 2007, 08:26:34 PM »
To All;
      I sometimes have problems loading my 1873 Winchester clone. When putting cartridges through the loading gate, I sometimes have trouble getting them to pass into the tube. This happens when I put the 2 or 3rd round in. Does anyone have any ideas what could be the problem?, and may be theway to solve this problem?
                                                                                                        Thanks in advance

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: 1873 winchester loading problem
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 12:15:04 AM »
Monty,

There may be a burr or rust in the mag tube, take it off and clean it like you would the barrel of the rifle.  Should help in loading.

Old Top
I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 01:41:36 AM »
Your right lever screw might not be tightened properly and the lever spring got in the way of the loading gate?
Bootsie
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:55:21 AM »

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 12:11:08 PM »
What caliber are you talking about?  Some loading problems are caliber related.

Offline Ole Man Dan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 03:11:15 PM »
Monte;
Late entry...
I have a Yellow Boy that was hard to load.  An old 'Cow hand' suggest I load it fully and let it set a couple of days.  It loaded easier, but still had a small rough place.  A friend took care of the rough place, and now it's a pleasure to load & shoot.

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 10:39:30 AM »
Howdy

One other thing to consider: When a round is fed into the loading gate it has to 'turn the corner' from the angle you load it at, to feed straight down the tube. Bullet shape and cartridge Over All Length can have an effect on this. Very generally speaking, a longer round will have less trouble making the turn than a shorter round, and a round nosed bullet will be about the best shape to make the turn.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com