Special Interests - Groups & Societies > The Winchester Model 1873

Period correct sight options?

(1/2) > >>

Little Dalton:
I'm looking at ordering my first Uberti 1873 soon- a 24" sporting rifle in .44WCF. Going to get it through Long Hunter, and I'll be getting them to slick it up for me. Aside from maybe springs though, I'm gonna try to keep it as period-correct as possible- no aluminum or SS parts, no short stroke, etc.

That said, I am wondering what my options are for mostly-period-correct sights. Front, rear, and tang. Not interested in anything that doesn't have historical precedent to the 1870s. Doesn't have to be 100% exact, just a close facsimile. Also, dumb question, but if you have a tang sight, can you still keep and use the normal rear sight? Does that work ok? Distances will be between 50-150 yards.

Are these Lyman sights the closest new made thing to a period tang sight?

https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/lyman-1873-tang-sight.html

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005860280/

Thanks in advance, fellas.

Blackpowder Burn:
The Marbles is also appropriate, and has windage adjustment.  I have two 1873 Winchesters dating from the early 1880's.  The current Marbles sight fits the predrilled tang holes on the rifles and the screws supplied by Marbles fit the threads.  Now that's pretty impressive after almsot 140 years!  ;D

Sir Charles deMouton-Black:
What I have done is sight the barrel site for a short range "battle site" and the tang site set for a longer range.  e.g: The three inch pipe. 3 inch max midrange and max effective range at the 3 inch drop, or farther if you are careful. ( Just a thought.)

Advertising:

Cliff Fendley:

--- Quote from: Blackpowder Burn on September 07, 2020, 11:29:52 AM ---The Marbles is also appropriate, and has windage adjustment.  I have two 1873 Winchesters dating from the early 1880's.  The current Marbles sight fits the predrilled tang holes on the rifles and the screws supplied by Marbles fit the threads.  Now that's pretty impressive after almsot 140 years!  ;D

--- End quote ---

The new Uberti rifles have to be drilled and tapped. The originals were drilled and tapped for the tang sights but I've drilled and tapped some of my Uberti for tang sights like the originals.

Cliff Fendley:
You can reshape the stock rear Uberti barrel sights to be almost just like an original. I do most of mine as I don't care for the Uberti square notch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version