Author Topic: Anybody load 38 long colts?  (Read 5029 times)

Offline Andrew Quigley

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Anybody load 38 long colts?
« on: December 12, 2005, 09:15:26 AM »
Been thinking really hard about getting one of the conversion cylinders for a 1851. Going to use it for percussion and cartridges so I don't want to reline the barrel and woud rather use orginal long colt bullets instead of the hollow base wad cutters.
 Problem is I can't seem to find anybody that makes a mold for this bullet. Anbody out there load these rounds? Can I get the newly required 15grs. of black powder under either the long colt bullet or the hollow base wad cutter? Not really into smokeless. Thanks for any info.

Andrew
Buy American as the job you save might be your own!

Andrew Quigley

Offline Rapid Lee

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Anybody load 38 long colts?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 10:45:18 AM »
I ran across this site recently: http://www.gadcustomcartridges.com/
They sell heel base bullets for the 38 long colt as well as loaded ammo.  I haven't done any business with them (yet), but they're the only source I've ever found for heel base bullets.  I believe that a swaged hollow base wad cutter will work also, but I've experienced a bit of a lead buildup issue in my 38-44 with some of the bullets I tried.  Keep us posted!

Rapid

Offline Andrew Quigley

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 11:25:08 AM »
Ya win the $64,000 question!!!! I've been looking for somebody that either sold the molds or sold the bullets and those folks have the bullets! Now all I got to do is buy the conversion cylinder and I'm on my way. Thanks pard, ya done big.

Andrew
Buy American as the job you save might be your own!

Andrew Quigley

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:03:41 PM »

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 07:08:10 PM »
Try NEI.  Their catalogue is online at <www.neihandtools.com>  RAPINE has the hollow base mold in their ads as 358149. 

I corresponded a while back, with John Hilliker who wrote an article in THE SHOOTIST, titled Getting Heeled.  John uses custom molds from LEE.  You might get a copy of his article from NCOWS?  John sets out his experience with heeled bullets and the required specs.  I have his email address, or get it from NCOWS.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Dai.S.Loe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 05:57:25 AM »
Try NEI.  Their catalogue is online at <www.neihandtools.com>  RAPINE has the hollow base mold in their ads as 358149. 

I corresponded a while back, with John Hilliker who wrote an article in THE SHOOTIST, titled Getting Heeled.  John uses custom molds from LEE.  You might get a copy of his article from NCOWS?  John sets out his experience with heeled bullets and the required specs.  I have his email address, or get it from NCOWS.

The NEI mould number is #176

Heel based bullet

Dai
The "Darkside" means never having to see the targets you miss.

Offline Jubel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 11:22:57 AM »
I get my hollow base bullets from http://www.riverjunction.com/catalog/guns/ammunition.html  and my loaded heelbase ammo would come  from http://www.gadcustomcartridges.com/ if'n I used store bought ammo.
Cousin we been ashooten at each other all day! How about we stop for a beer then we kin go home and get our axes. Or just as good, lets forget this whole dang feud, I'm agetten too old for this anyhow!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com