Author Topic: Guns of the Darksiders  (Read 403134 times)

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: Guns of the Darksiders
« Reply #460 on: July 27, 2020, 09:46:18 AM »
Fingers, ya got took! That t'ain't a second gen Colt. Best to send it on to me and I'll hide it for ya'. Really a beautiful find, we should all be so lucky. Do you plan on trying to shoot it or is it just for lookin'?

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Guns of the Darksiders - Latest acquisition
« Reply #461 on: January 24, 2021, 03:35:34 PM »
Mailman dropped off this 1863 vintage, 6 shot, 4 inch barrel 1849 Pocket Model yesterday.  It's nothing special, just your everyday
pocket model that got the benefit of cased accessories.  It has some bluing showing, along with faded case colors.   It locks up with no over rotation, and has no cylinder turn line. The case is by Bill's Cases, Flask was a modern reproduction, as is the cap tin.  Nipple wrench is 2nd Gen and the mold is a well used original - I think.  I've already swapped the Flask and mold with what I believe are originals.  I need to get my Percussion Accoutrements book out and do some research so I can validate the accessory's pedigree.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Fingers McGee

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • Liked:
Re: Guns of the Darksiders - Same set with correct accessories
« Reply #462 on: January 24, 2021, 04:06:35 PM »
Same set with period correct flask and mold.
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Advertising

« Reply #463 on: Today at 12:22:19 PM »

Offline Fingers McGee

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • Liked:
« Reply #463 on: January 24, 2021, 04:29:15 PM »
Fingers, ya got took! That t'ain't a second gen Colt. Best to send it on to me and I'll hide it for ya'. Really a beautiful find, we should all be so lucky. Do you plan on trying to shoot it or is it just for lookin'?

Please excuse my belated response.  Not only is it not a 2nd, Gen, it will be (was ) shot.  I was tempted to shoot it in a match; but decide against it.  The 20 or so rounds I did put down range grouped fairly well at 15 yards.  The pistol functioned flawlessly.

Offline Arizona Trooper

• Top Active Citizen
    • Civil War Guns
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #464 on: January 24, 2021, 06:55:34 PM »
A shooting buddy has a Walker repro and I have an 1860 vintage 4" pocket. Sometimes at regional N-SSA skirmishes we shoot those side by side on the line. It's a hoot, and we even get hits at 25 yards once in a while.

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
« Reply #465 on: July 07, 2021, 11:02:03 PM »
Gonna have to start down this scary, smoky trail as I just picked up an 1875 marked Springfield Trapdoor. Got all the stuff to load up the Holy Black except the powder and cast boolits.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline HamptonBogs45

• Citizen
  • SASS #: 110635
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #466 on: November 12, 2021, 11:29:49 AM »
Probably one of my best screen caps I got from one of my videos. Uberti colt walker.
“Life’s hard, it’s harder if you’re stupid.” -John Wayne

“Who’s the fella owns this sh*thole?”-William Munny

“You gonna pull those pistols? Or whistle Dixie?”-Josey Wales

Offline HamptonBogs45

• Citizen
  • SASS #: 110635
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #467 on: November 12, 2021, 11:32:23 AM »
Uberti 1860 army. One of my favorites screen caps. Really shows how chain fired can happen. Look at all the sparks and fire. I’d like to get a high quality night photo of one going off.
“Life’s hard, it’s harder if you’re stupid.” -John Wayne

“Who’s the fella owns this sh*thole?”-William Munny

“You gonna pull those pistols? Or whistle Dixie?”-Josey Wales

Offline Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Speed Junky
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #468 on: September 18, 2023, 06:22:16 PM »

38 years of shooting cap & ball in SASS and never had a chain fire.  Easily prevented.  In fact, I charge all six chambers and cap five to comply with rules... sixth chamber remains uncapped unless I have a cap malfunction, or need a reload to meet stage requirements.  I use full strength mainsprings, now use SlixShot nipples, .375 balls to shave a slight ring of lead and a lubed wad under the ball.  Reasonable charge of powder to meet the task at hand.  In my .36s it's right around 15 grains by volume to ring steel.  Doesn't need any more to punch holes in paper either!  I haven't had a hammer bounce back, haven't lost a cap off a nipplie in I don't know how long... at least as long as I quit using stock nipples.  I use Remington #10 or RWS 1075 caps, preferably the Remingtons.

But keep using lightened mainsprings, max loads, poor powder control and poor fitting caps & balls and you'll keep having chain fires.  But, please, don't make it about the gun. 
Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Life

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #469 on: September 19, 2023, 07:51:13 AM »
I've 51 years of cap bustin without a chain fire. Have always paid attention in loading and firing process, no 'Cinderella' springs, tight fitting caps and balls, lubed felt wads. I do use good stout loads of black but not excess. Back in'72 when first starting out I had a '51 Navy 44 (Euroarms) that wasn't timed right, the caps didn't fit tight (pinch them to stay on), used a .451 ball that fit tight but didn't shave much lead, and smeared grease over the ball which was messier than greasing an axle. Never a chain fire, but those first years were a learning experience. Saw a chain fire once, a friend had a brasser '51 Navy 36 that did so back in the early days. Always figured maybe loose caps was the culprit. Today use .454 and .380 balls for tight fit, lubed wad over powder, and mostly #10 Remington caps that fit tight over every factory nipple and/or replacement nipple on the eleven cappers I have and have no problem with caps falling into the action. They stay put on the nipples, all they need is a flick to remove.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com