Author Topic: Looking for a PC axe  (Read 2476 times)

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Looking for a PC axe
« on: August 26, 2009, 12:02:39 PM »
I'd like to get a new axe/hatchet for camping that would have been common on the frontier, can anyone recomend a style or source? Thanks

Offline 'Monterrey' Jack Brass

• NCOWS Life, SASS Life
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • ferrotype of Brass, c1885, by R. Gibson
  • Liked:
Re: Looking for a PC axe
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 04:34:46 PM »
Galloway –

Regarding axe style: See below illustrations from page 203 of the Illustrated Catalogue of American Hardware of the Russell and Erwin Manufacturing Company, 1865 (reprinted in 1980 by the Association for Preservation Technology). These are some good examples of commercially available axes during the old west era. I scanned, cut & pasted the more appropriate info for your inquiry and removed broad axe, adze, and other such illustrations. All illustrated below are “J.B. Ogden’s superior cast steel axes, warranted.”

Regarding axe source: I recommend you go to antique stores to get your axe, you can’t go wrong with a period original. Use the below information to confirm that an axe or hatchet head you’re looking at is a close match to an example of the documentation here. As you can see there were various axe types for specific jobs, something to keep in mind during your search, and even some regional influences in style (bear in mind that regional style likely had little to do with what axe one bought at the time the catalog was printed). Of course, check out any axe head before buying to ensure the metal is in sound condition without cracks, excessive pitting and so forth. When you put a new handle on the axe head the info below also provides queues as to the right shape to use.

Note: A blacksmith made axe head will likely have an iron body with a steel bit and that’s just as correct as a cast steel axe. Also look a little closer for metal fatigue on blacksmith made axe heads.

Good luck in your search.

YMH&OS,

Brass
NRA Life, VFW Life, F&AM 
Old West Research & Studies Association
amateur wetplate photographer

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 09:54:52 PM »
Thank you very much , Monsieur Brass - I am archiving the image you posted, and will look for the aforementioned tome.

Galloway - I have found in my general perusings of junque markets that the styles of head I find the most along the rockies are any of the "spanish", new jersey/kentucky, broad axes, or the "boys axe" . Of course what we find today has usually been ground on until there may be little original shape left; ie the saying " yup this is my Great Great Grandaddies original axe. We replaced the head twice and the handle 4 times."

Oft times if one cannot come across something appropriate at garage sales, etc, one can readily replicate the design by buying a new cheap model and grinding it as desired.

Alternatively, if one has cash to burn and desires a quality High Carbon Forged Swedish axe the top-of-the line are the Banfors, the economy models are the Wetterlings, as found here: http://www.wisementrading.com/woodworking/gransfors.htm

And I just now found some grand Husqvarna axes on evil-bay! just look for "swedish axe" tofind a lovely Husky Hatchet for a merre $40 shipped. Add a longer handle and you have a perfect period correct "camp axe"

While one would normally consider this kind of quality tool a rarity in this day and age, I find the the combination of the internet's  global access, and the new counter-reaction to cheap-and-trashy asian goods is combining to provide smaller makers a good niche market for quality items.

yhs
Prof Marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:02:24 PM »

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 11:50:06 PM »
In the early period of the "WEST" the Kentucky or NJ type of ax with the ears that are below the main body & eye hole are more prevalent.  The normally had straight handles.  By 18895 Wards & 1897 Sears they only show the Spanish style blades and curved handles.  This leave you a lot of latitude!  The double bit came along in the later 1880's IIRC.

American Axes: A Survey of Their Development and Their Makers , by Henry J. Kauffman would be a great book to begin with.  It will give you patterns and dates of use, and make your decision a bit easier!! ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com