Author Topic: Question- Hollow-base bullets for .44 Colt (Original)?  (Read 2202 times)

Offline Tinker Pearce

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Question- Hollow-base bullets for .44 Colt (Original)?
« on: August 08, 2018, 10:20:12 AM »
I've converted an 1858 Reproduction to .44 Colt using Heel-base bullets.  I swage my own bullets and have gotten the crimp and load down to where it's working pretty well. At the same time I have to acknowledge that life would be a whole lot easier if I could load a standard-diameter .44 bullet with a hollow base. Does anyone have any experience doing this?  If so, what bullet did you use?

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Question- Hollow-base bullets for .44 Colt (Original)?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 02:20:15 PM »
Tinker,

I would suggest a heel-base bullet for cartridge revolvers.
The heel end should be the dia. of the top of the lands. (this stabilizes the back end of the bullet)
The nose end should be the dia. of the grooves. (this imparts the full depth of the groove and rotation to the bullet)

Hollow base bullets work well in muzzle loading firearms. The hollow base bullet only has to expand once in these arms.
In a revolver not so well, because of the space between the cylinder face and the barrel breech, forcing cone and rifling all effect the skirt of the hollow base bullet.
Often time the soft lead skirt gets blown off or otherwise damaged at the interface between cylinder and barrel.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Tinker Pearce

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 02:54:35 PM »
Tinker,

I would suggest a heel-base bullet for cartridge revolvers.
The heel end should be the dia. of the top of the lands. (this stabilizes the back end of the bullet)
The nose end should be the dia. of the grooves. (this imparts the full depth of the groove and rotation to the bullet)

Hollow base bullets work well in muzzle loading firearms. The hollow base bullet only has to expand once in these arms.
In a revolver not so well, because of the space between the cylinder face and the barrel breech, forcing cone and rifling all effect the skirt of the hollow base bullet.
Often time the soft lead skirt gets blown off or otherwise damaged at the interface between cylinder and barrel.
My best,
 Blair

Thanks Blair! Just what I needed to know.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:41:33 PM »

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 04:49:14 PM »
Tinker, I have swaged .38 cal heel base bullets for my civilian 1895/96 (I think) .38 lc Colt DAs. The Colts with the sideplate on the wrong side.  I haven’t made any lately though. Tedious to make but they worked ok. But those revolvers have such a horrendous trigger pull I don’t think that it was just the ammo that was the problem, with those terrible triggers the troopers couldn’t shoot the revolver well enough to hit those Moro tribesmen. Kinda like a New Service with the factory mainspring and then some, primers must have been awfully tough back then.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 05:19:54 PM »

I don't know if this will help much.  I shoot a very custom .45 Bullet in my handguns called a "Barnstormer."  The bullet was developed by Adirondack Jack way back in the Wabac (Sherman and the Professor) at the same time he was developing the Cowboy 45 Special cartridge and I was developing the .45 Squirt.

AJ's Bullet is a RADICAL Hollow base sort of a wad cutter.  The hollow cavity extends way way up into the bullet.  It's prime purpose was to allow .45 shooters to compete with shooters of the .38.  The bullet weighs in at a massive 130Gr.  Here is the fun part.  It shoots the smallest groups I have ever fired with a .45 and is just SUPER accurate.  I know at one time AJ had a few 6 cavity molds made and sold them to other shooters.  He did say it was a very difficult cast until one learned the tricks.  I don't know of anyone who cast the "Barnstormer" on a commercial basis, nor do I know whom has the Molds he had made.

My point is .... A correctly cast or swaged hollow cavity bullet can produce phenomenal accuracy.  I tried to talk AJ into a .44 Barnstormer but he left the business before developing a 44.  (sigh)

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 406
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 10:23:28 PM »
I have a Lyman .45 HB, 452460, I think. I bought it used and it is a bugga to cast. But if I carefully select the best, they are VERY accurate and are a dream for the Webley Mk. VI.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com