Author Topic: The Krag Came Home Today  (Read 11527 times)

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
The Krag Came Home Today
« on: December 07, 2011, 08:54:09 PM »
Got the Krag back from Saber River Gunsmithing today.  Glenn Stolle (Stole Lee) did a great job.  The bluing on the new barrel is outstanding and the chamber is pretty tight.  Brass fired in the old barrel will not chamber at all until resized.    The old chamber must have been pretty loose at the mouth.  Hope to be able to get some bullets loaded up tomorrow night and do a little testing on Friday.  Plan to work up to 35 grains of Varget and 28 of 5744 pushing a 210 gas checked bullet from Montana Bullet works.

I have both .309 and .310 diameters to test.  Looking for an accurate load to 300 yards.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: The Krag Came Home Today
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 05:49:08 PM »
Always a good day when a Krag comes home.  Don't rule out IMR 4350, always a good choice in a Krag.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 07:42:57 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation.
I routinely use 4350 with Jacketed heavy bullets.
Lyman does not have any 4350 data for Krag and cast bullets.  Guess I could look up the difference say between Varget for Cast and Jacketed at a similar weight and apply that factor to 4350.

One would think if X grains is Safe at 220 Jacketed  X-y for a 210 lead should be just fine.  May not shoot good but...

I am hoping the Bolded for potentiall most accurate data of 28 grains of 5744 will actually be a good load for that rifle.

Any thing I should know about a new barrel and cast bullets 
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:20:15 AM »

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 08:47:19 PM »
Get the Lee book, and check out his cast bullet Data.  He has extensive CB data for the .308, which has the same internal volume as the Krag round.  I"ve found in my usage that the .308 and the .30 US deliver virtualy identical cast bullet performance at Krag pressures.

Offline Crossdrawnj

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 10:04:15 AM »
Where are the pics???

Crossdraw.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 11:11:11 AM »
Finally came out of my coma and figured out how to access pics on my droid, so I can take some and post them.
The alterative is to find the charger for my camera battery.  Knew where it was when on vacation in AK this summer but since is kinda AWOL.
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 08:47:47 PM »
This is a pain, for what ever reason cannot open photos in photo editor.  They are also too big to attach.  Had to load on facebook copy and save to my computer 2nd time and then attach.  Muzzle is just a touch too big to get bayonet fully seated.  Old barrel no problemo.  Will have to gently open the hole on the bayonet.  Think it has a boyds stock, not bad wood.  The sling is an indian repo I think and is a few inches too short.  Cannot readily sling across back to leave both hand free for say climbing a rope.  Cannot remember who the US maker is for slings, but I did contact them wanting to buy one and he said he could not get the brass keepers or some such anymore so did not offer krag slings anymore - bummer.  Picked up the bayonet off ebay, scabbard came from another source on e-bay.  Battle ship grey, wonder if it has a navy history????
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline G.W. Strong

• Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Colonel, Commander of the Department of the Missouri
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • GAF, Department of the Missouri
    • Talbot's Fine Accessories
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 09:22:30 PM »
That is a nice looking rifle. I like the figuring in the wood stock. Very pretty.

I have a krag that loves a .308 lead bullet over 16 grains of Alliant 2400. Nice tight groups at 100 yards.
George Washington "Hopalong" Strong
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
Good Guy's Posse & Bristol Plains Pistoleros
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 10:13:51 PM »
I have about 95% of a pound of 2400 may have to give that a try.  I need to get out to 300 for what I want the rifle to do at winter range 5 off hand 100 yards, 5 sitting of kneeling 200 and 5 prone 300 probably at about a 16 or 20 inch square plate so I dont need MOA but that would leave a lot of room for error.  Most hits in quickest time wins.  Dont think anyone shot clean last year.  As I recall Cowtown Scout took the match with a couple of misses but a shorter time.  One of those matches shooting last helps.  If no one is clean, then take enough time to shoot clean.  Having a new barrel is almost like cheating but I cant stand a gun that wont group.

I do have some .308 30/30 bullets.  Could not keep on paper at 25 yards with a kinda mid range load with the old barrel.  Did not mater if straight lead or moly coated. 
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 01:06:35 AM »
My Krag doesn't really like 30-30 bullets as well as the heavier ones. They may group OK, but it seems like they have to be loaded into the magazine more carefully than the longer ones. Only time I can recall getting "rimlock" was with 165 gr flat points.

I have been told Turner Saddelry makes really good slings, but doesn't always have them available for Krags, because of the length of the leather needed to make them. I have one from S&S, not the greatest.....made of two pieces, sewed together, and the joint falls right at the swivel when properly adjusted for me. Also, some of the holes are unevenly spaced.

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 05:17:52 PM »
Here ya go:   http://www.whatpriceglory.com/shopexd.asp?id=3267&bc=no   

Best Krag sling for the money out there, all the markings are correct.  I've got one of the Rare Turner slings, but this is whats on my rifle right now!

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 08:39:35 PM »
I've got one of those on my '03 for Expansion Era and it works great!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 10:16:28 PM »
I hit the range with the krag tomorrow.  Shot a SASS match today 6 stages, I wore out 3 hour glasses they were using to time me.  The good news is I shot clean.  Funny looking thing at end of barrel really does work if you use it.

Lyman claims 28 grain 5744 is most accurate load they tested for 210 grainers for the Krag.

I loaded  5 each of 26.5, 27, 27.5, 27.8.  using the .309 Then betting on the come loaded 15 of the .309 and 10 of the .310 with 28 grains.

Next trip may try varget if I dont like the groups with the 5744.  Then if necessary move to 4350 and maybe 4831SC.
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 05:03:49 PM »
Did not seem to make a difference.  When I shoot a good shot the rounds stay close together.  When the sights get fuzzy might be 5 or 6 inches out.  At 200 using standard military target with the .309s thru a 4:30 8 about 1/2 inch from black The other 4 and all the .310 were in the black 1 pinwheel x rest 60 40 split 9s and tens.

I am sure I can do some load development and tighten things up but the rifle seems to shoot really well.  Just shot with the sight layed down.  shoots about 4 inches high from point of aim at 200, with the front edge of the sight about 3/4 of the way from the 100 to the 200 mark.  Straight on 200 shoots about 15 inchs high.  I need to shoot this same sight setting at 100.  May just shoot battle sight kind of thing rather than change sights when shooting steel.

Cannot use peep for Winter range, but next trip to the range may try the peep, sorta helps me to see the front sight.
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline JimBob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2011, 05:44:56 PM »
Your Krag looks like it has the M1901 sight,the battle sight setting is for 375 yds.To give you a little more idea on trajectory of this round here's some figures from an old WRA trajectory chart for the 220 grain FMJ loading at 2000FPS -

100yds height at 50yds +1.25

200yds height at 100yds +4.5in.

300yds height at 150yds +11in.

400yds height at 200yds +22in.

500yds height at 250yds +38.5in.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2011, 07:39:41 PM »
Thanks for the info

Sort of imprecisely used battle sight which technically is all the way forward.

Back in the M-14 days and M-16 we set a 250 yard zero, aimed slightly low at close targets and a little high af far and center of mass at 250.  If I am dead on at 200 dependeding on velocity in the 2000 to 1800 fps using sierra 220 RN table looks like I am some where between 21 and 24 inches low at 300, which is as far as I need to shoot with this rifle.  That is a bit too much thinking where I am now is fine for 1 and 200 but need to slide sight to the actual 200 setting or beyond.  Will figure it out next time I have access to a 300 yard target.  That will end up being either the second friday or saturday in January.

May also play with 4350 and varget. 

At 25 yards put 2 in same hole and 2 rounds with about a calibers worth of paper between their holes and the 2 in same hole so this should be a pretty good postal match gun as long as I only shoot when I have a really clear front sight.
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2011, 09:18:01 PM »
Another trip to the range with the Krag today shooting varget and the 210 grain gas checks all .309.
Started 2 grains of the max Lyman manual load in .5 grain increments.
Pretty scattered groups at 100 until I was at the max.  Then about 2.5 inches.

Think next time out I will use the best load with varget and the max load in 5744 which shot basically the same for all loads using the peep sight.  That should make the front sight all the more clear.  Hopefully that will give me a better idea of the true potential of the rifle.  The max varget load and all the 5744 loads shoot well enough to hit the targets for WR military rifle match.

There have only been 45 rounds down the barrel, is probably not broken in yet, if there is such a thing.
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 11:26:42 PM »
Loaded up 50 rounds with the max load of varget for a 210 grain lead bullet from lyman manual.
Also loaded 20 rounds 5 each in .5 grain increments starting 2 grains less than the lee manual max for a .220 grainer using AA4350.
The 200 grain load is 2 grains more than the 220 grain, so I may have a grain to play with using .210. 

Not really looking for a max load, just the most accurate.  Will see how they shoot tomorrow.  Will initially stand up the sight and see if the peep lets me see the front sight better.  Who knows that alone may tighten up the shot groups.  It already holds sub minute of chest, which should work for WR.

After checking the AA4350 loads will try some position work shot 100 off hand 200 sitting and prone.  Would shoot the prone at 300 but only have access to a 200 yard range.  Will test 300 when I help set up the ACSA match 2nd fri of january.
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2011, 08:39:27 AM »
I have found that for my eyes, the barrell mounted peep sight as on Krag/1903 Springfield, or on my '84 trapdoor just don't work. All I can see when I try to use them is a tiny "dot" of light. :( Reciever type peep as on Garand or '03/A3 helps me see the front sight better, but the barrell mounted one has the opposite effect. Maybe if I was 20 years younger............

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2011, 10:49:58 PM »
When the light is just right and my eyes work the peep helps, but get the eyes just a little tired and the open sights work best.  Interesting trip today.  My starting load was the most accurate.  almost got progressively worse as powder charge increased.

Loaded up another 35 rounds to test tonight using the starting load.  Rifle seems to like the initial 4350 load better than any of the 5477 or Varget loads I used.

Had one good offhand group, the other 3 were pretty scattered.  Need to work on sitting, kneeling and prone as well.  If you dont practice skills sure go a way.

NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com