Author Topic: New Recruit with the first of many questions, I am sure.  (Read 11719 times)

Offline Long Juan

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Tarryhollow Gang
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Recruit with the first of many questions, I am sure.
« on: May 03, 2010, 02:15:06 PM »
Shot with the Plum Creek Shooting Society in Lockhart, TX, Saturday.  Was recruited for GAF by Captain Mack and Texas Sarge.  It was early in the day and they had only just met me, so I guess they figured there was no downside to recruiting the new guy.  I am fairly new to SASS, having joined only last year, but I have been into shooting for many years.  I shoot now mostly with the Texican Rangers in Fredericksburg/Comfort, TX.  Hope to shoot also with PCSS in the future as often as possible. 

Am working on pulling together the rudiments of a uniform.  Current planning is Indian Wars cavalry.  Also need to think about my SASS alias, Long Juan.  I am tall and my name is John, at least that's the story I tell most folks.  I am thinking of expanding to Captain John ("Long Juan") Austin.  All fictional, but I am retired Navy Captiain (figure its okay to demote myself from O-6 to O-3) and I live in Austin, so it sort of makes sense without losing my identity as Long Juan.  Any thoughts?

My other quick questions:  (1) Would like to purchase some GAF insignia (cap/hat badge and collar tabs).  See on the GAF website Prairie Flower Leather in Ord, NE, has been the vendor.  Their website does not pop up.  Any one know if they are still in business selling the GAF insignia?  If not, is there another source?  (2) Also looking for a GAF regimental decal.  I am told someone had some made.  Wondering if they are still availalbe and, if so, how to purchase one? 

That's it for now.  Am sure I will have uniform, leather, weapon and other questions soon.  Thanks in advance to any and all who respond.  I promise not to be as long-winded next time.

Long Juan
SASS #84671
CAPT John (Long Juan) Soule
Texican Rangers, Fredericksburg, Texas
Plum Creek Shooting Society, Lockhart, Texas
SASS #84671 NCOWS #3322 STORM #368
GAF #737,  Department of Missouri, Division of Texas
www.tarryhollowgang.com

Offline Long Juan

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Tarryhollow Gang
  • Liked:
Re: New Recruit with the first of many questions, I am sure.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 02:26:05 PM »
I will reply to my own first question.  Prairie Flower Leather is back up and I have placed order. 
www.tarryhollowgang.com

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 03:49:29 PM »
Well, as a former MA1 (Retired) I can only say, welcome aboard.  Watch yourself, we've got a few Marines in this outfit.  CinCGAF is fond of them for some reason.  Don't worry about being windy, you don't have a patch on some of the Sea Story tellers around here . . .

The name is up to you, Here on the GAF side we don't require alias's.  

It all sounds fine, hang on to your choker whites,  with a bell crown hat you can be a Spanish American War Captain in our naval detachment.   ;D

Hope to see you at the Grand Muster this November.  Congratulaions, and fair winds to ye!

ComOrdGAF.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:49:31 AM »

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 04:59:43 PM »
I've been thinking about producing some decals, but that's as far as I've got. And no right now there's no other source. Steffan at Prairie Flower is a friend of mine. He makes good stuff, but be patient. The GAF stuff he produces is a sideline, so unless he happens to has an extra one or two on the shelf there will be a wait.
Your characters rank or the use of an alias is an option so chose one as you see fit. I started out in this outfit calling myself a Sgt. because in the living history organization I belonged to my Captain had promoted me to that rank. Shortly after I joined I was asked to be the Lt. Col. of the Department of the Missouri by then Col. Cheyenne Logan (who happens to be from Fredricksburg by the way). When he "retired" I was promoted to my current position by General Scout. Now, a word of explaination about GAF rank. The titles are brevets and they don't give us the right to order people around. They are assigned to people who have accepted the resposibility of helping see to it that the GAF is one of the best organizations around!
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 07:32:39 PM »
Welcome!

So far you have been given good advice, so I will not add to their already excellent suggestions.  Though why I allow former MA1 and now Lt Col Drydock to remain in a position of responsibility is beyond me. ;D

The GAF does not require anyone to wear a uniform, but most of our members do so.  After all, our members joined because of their interest in the Victorian-era military.  I will tell you that when you attend our Musters you will see some very fine examples of both field and dress uniforms. 

Likewise, we do not require anyone to develop a persona, nor dictate if they may or may not use a rank in their SASS alias.  As Lt Col Drydock pointed out, the GAF does not require an alias and many GAF members go by their real names.  However, developing a persona, even in outline form, is a good way to figure out what guns and uniform you should be using. 

I might add, that some of our members have gotten addicted to Victorian-era guns and uniforms, and have multiple uniforms to match their guns (or perhaps guns to match their uniforms).  So, you are free to be an Indian Wars Army captain one day, a Spanish-American War Navy captain the next, or even the messenger of the watch if that pleases you. 

Continue to ask questions.  We have quite a few very knowledgeable folks here in the Barracks that can guide you on your way.

US Scout
GAF, Commanding

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 07:51:24 PM »
We are a pretty fun loving bunch, but do not offend any one of higher rank than you:

The KP detail can be brutal. ::) ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Long Juan

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Tarryhollow Gang
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 08:05:44 PM »
Thanks all.  I am beginning to get the picture a little better, particularly about KP duty.  Hope someone will run with the ball at some point and have some decals made. 
www.tarryhollowgang.com

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 08:45:01 PM »
Oh, I'm just the jester in your court, mon general!    ;D
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 10:19:16 PM »
Appearantly I'm a jester in someone's court too. ::)

Delmonico, how long is your enlistment? You may consider yourself assigned to KP for ten years longer than that! :o

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 11:31:18 PM »
Welcome to The Barracks, Long Juan, sir!  It's perfectly okay to go from O-6 to O-3.  (Some of my best friends retired from the USAF as O-6's, so we don't hold that ag'in ya!  ;) )  Me, I was an O-3, both in the Air Farce, and in the GAF, for so long, I figured after 20 years "in grade" it was time for promotion.  Since I both make leather as a business (which came under the Indian-fightin' Army Ordnance Dept.), and do some ballistics research in obsolete ammo, which is also an ordnance function, I figured an "assignment" from cavalry to the Ordnance Dept, of the Dept. of the Platte, and a brevet majority was in order.  I now wear scarlet-background major's leaves.  (I still wear my yellow-striped cavalry trowsers for shoots...changing to dark blue with no stripes for "undress" staff officer's uniform for dress occasions.)

As to ordering anybody around, even my dog doesn't listen to me, let alone my wife, kids, grandkids, or members of the GAF!  ::)

Love to see you as a "Flag Officer" or "Commodore" on temporary assignment to the Army for observation, or whatever!  But Captain of Cavalry will do nicely!

Have fun, friend!  Once again, welcome!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 11:29:33 AM »
Well as you know Jerry, someone caught me checking the radar:

That's when we found out the roof in my kitchen leaked:

JS, you can see we have fun, those were from the GAF muster last fall, ask them two guys that recruited you about snow angels.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 10:59:42 PM »
Greetings and Welcome, Sir!

Don't forget Victorian-era frontier military personas are by no means limited to US ones!  As Commander of the Department of the International .... and one of only a few GAF members who 'march to the tune of a different drummer', as it were ..... I encourage you to look further afield for ideas to at least consider.

;D
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 05:47:34 AM »
Greetings and Welcome, Sir!

Don't forget Victorian-era frontier military personas are by no means limited to US ones!  As Commander of the Department of the International .... and one of only a few GAF members who 'march to the tune of a different drummer', as it were ..... I encourage you to look further afield for ideas to at least consider.

Quite true!  I keep playing with the idea of doing one of the British or Canadian militia rifle regiments, or one of the units in the Zulu Wars.

US Scout
Bvt Brig Gen, GAF

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 06:11:36 AM »
I'm sure you will find a persona that you really like.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 09:11:01 AM »
"...and one of only a few GAF members who 'march to the tune of a different drummer', as it were..."

I thought someone was grinding up cats...
It was bagpipes...

Welcome aboard Long Juan!  Hope to see you this Fall at the Muster!

Dave Vanderpool
aka "Guns Garrett
Bvt Lt. Col
Dept. of Kansas, Commanding
GAF
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 12:17:51 PM »
Jack, don't forget there was some fella showed up this year from somewhere way south of the border:

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 03:11:21 PM »
No .... I wasn't forgetting.  

All I said was that he wasn't limited to US personas, and intentionally avoided suggesting anything "British Empire" since there are so many other possibilities worth exploring.  

Personally, I think it would be great if someone chose to depict, say, a member of the French Chasseurs d'Afrique  or  Deutsch-Südwestafrika Schutztruppen . . . . . .

. . . . .  or  (talk about vast frontiers where troops had to be maintained - or could be drawn from .....) someone from the Russian Imperial Army, like this Cossack, who I am pretty sure is actually our own Ned Niederlander engaged in time travel ......

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 03:44:48 PM »
I don't know Jack, I think that must be Ned's little brother or else that's one He** of a big horse!  :o Ned looks down at Clydesdales. Of course given your stature, you've probably never thought of Ned as being a big guy.  ::)

Offline TEXAS SARGE

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 05:17:06 PM »
Hey Hey Hey,

Now lets not try to paint a tainted picture of Texas Snow Angels for Juan, as he has stuck with the GAF even after shooting last Saturday with Scooter, Capt Mack, and Texas Sarge.  By the way bring your dancin shoes to the Grand Muster in Lockhart this fall, we will be teaching the Fire Ant Two Step.  This is not your old Ant Lou eighter.
Pitspiter Sir please call Capt. Mack he need something to do.

In the words of the famous David (Davy) Crockett "you all may go to hell, and I'll go to TEXAS!"
Texas Sarge

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 05:27:05 PM »
Hey Hey Hey,

Now lets not try to paint a tainted picture of Texas Snow Angels for Juan, as he has stuck with the GAF even after shooting last Saturday with Scooter, Capt Mack, and Texas Sarge. 

I didn't see the Snow Angels myself, since I was busy with KP and cleaning the snow out of the kitchen.  Please tell me the rumors about necked Snow Angels was just that, a rumor. ::)

If he joined up after the shoot with you three then nothing will scare him.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com