Author Topic: Re-Direction of my Highland Regiment Persona and Uniform  (Read 11058 times)

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re-Direction of my Highland Regiment Persona and Uniform
« on: April 02, 2009, 11:24:24 PM »
Greetings, All:

Thought I would post an announcement of something which has been coming together for me over the past month or so .....

As many of you know, one of my Victorian-era military impressions has been the British Army "Royal Highland Regiment" (i.e. The Black Watch).  Actually, what I would have preferred to depict, from the outset, is a Canadian Active Militia unit: The 5th Battalion, Royal Scots of Canada - which was the predecessor of the present-day "The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) of Canada". 

Here is an artist's representation of a Major of the 5th Royal Scots of Canada, circa 1890 -

Those who have seen my Black Watch dress uniform will note the similarity - all Highland Regiments in fact used standard patterns of Scottish Doublet and other accoutrements, but differed in many details, such as the facing colour (i.e. colour of collar and cuffs), the regimental tartan worn, pattern of sporran, pattern of dicing on the hose (i.e. stockings) and so on.  After a short initial period wearing the family tartan of the then-Governor-General of Canada (the Marquis of Lorne) the 5th Royal Scots adopted the Black Watch tartan (as seen above) and have worn that sett ever since ..... and, as a "Royal" regiment, they always had the same dark blue facing colour as the Black Watch.  There were the rather significant other differences however - unit insignia was completely distinct, of course.   Also, until after the end of the 19th Century the Royal Scots wore a different pattern of hose (i.e. red/white diced, rather than the red/black of the Black Watch) and a different pattern of horsehair sporran (two long black tassels  on white, rather than five shorter black tassels on white ....) 

Nevertheless, it has always remained in the back of my mind that I'd gladly incur the not inconsiderable expense of new horsehair sporran and other different accoutrements if a "switchover" to the 5th Royal Scots of Canada ever became practicable.    However, suitable reproduction insignia (the most important requirement, really) was never available ..... and, with a single original glengarry badge costing as much as $200-$300, using the "real thing" simply wasn't a viable option.   

That has remained the stumbling block ..... until recently!     ;D   :o   :D

A month or so ago, a Highland accoutrements dealer up here in Canada (who quite some time ago arranged for reproduction of the metal badges of all of Canada's WWI Highland Overseas Battalions) listed on his eBay store three reproduction glengarry badges for the 5th Royal Scots of Canada.  I suppose I could have tried to win them by auction, but he had a "Buy It Now" price on each badge that wasn't exactly cheap.  Well, I wasn't about to let this opportunity pass,  so I immediately purchased all three - and have since acquired two more from him.  (Turns out these badges were prototypes and, unless he decides to go ahead with having more made, the five I got will be the only ones in existence!)  Two of them are silver-plated Officer's pattern, and three are brass, which is "Other Ranks" (i.e. enlisted) pattern -

You may be wondering why on earth I would need five such badges!  Well ......... almost all of the unit-specific accoutrements of the 5th Royal Scots of Canada (in particular the sporran badge, sword cross-belt plate, waist-belt plate, and British Pattern 1881 helmet plate) incorporate the same design - either complete with the scroll at the bottom, or utilizing just the "boar's head over 5" device.  For example here is a detail enlarged from the the above picture of the circa-1890 officer, showing the unit's helmet plate - a standard pattern in the British and Colonial forces of that time-frame, with just the unit-specific center differing ....  Although image quality leaves much to be desired, you can see that the Royal Scots helmet plate has a silver "boar's head over 5" device in the center -

Also, here is an original officer's pattern waist-belt plate, incorporating one of the known variations of the unit badge -

Indeed, the sporran badge used by the unit was the same glengarry badge, as can be seen in this period photo of a Royal Scots of Canada Private (taken during the short initial period when the 5th wore Lorne tartan, rather than Black Watch) -

In other words, in addition to properly badging my new glengarry cap (which has red/white dicing, rather than no dicing like the version worn by the Black Watch) the badges I have obtained will enable me to also make up appropriate additional accoutrements. To that end, I have already bought a new two-tassel sporran in appropriate late-Victorian styling, a new glengarry, red/white diced hosetops, and even the appropriate gold-plated helmet badge body ..... seen here with one of the silvered glengarry badges, from which I will cut (very carefully!) the boar's head/5 device for use as the center -

I have pretty much decided that, rather than a commissioned officer, my 5th Royal Scots of Canada impression will be that of  Regimental Sergeant-Major ..... such as the fellow standing in the middle of this group photo of the Senior Sergeants of the Battalion dating from 1898 -

The reason for that decision is that the RSM, as the highest ranking non-commissioned officer of a British regiment, was the only NCO who wore many accoutrements otherwise reserved for commissioned officers - such as the officer's pattern sash, worn across the left shoulder to the right hip, instead of the sergeant's pattern sash you see crossing over the right shoulder of all of the other Sergeants in the above photograph - and the sword-baldric (crossbelt) for the highland pattern sword.  I wanted to get away from depicting a commissioned officer, yet my "advanced age" calls out for me to at least be a senior NCO ..... and since I already have these various officer's accoutrements, Regimental Sergeant-Major seemed to be the best choice! 

Actually, the RSM, and the other fellows, in the above photo appear rather disgustingly young from my perspective ...... However, another group photo I have of all of the Officers and NCO's of the 5th Royal Scots reveals some Sergeants who are obviously quite well along in age, which is more encouraging to this "old fart"  -

Well, back to my "switching over" duties ......     ;)
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1153
Re: Re-Direction of my Highland Regiment Persona and Uniform
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 11:52:36 PM »
My Dear Jack -
a fascinating and thorough posting, sir, my  thanks. I have a question, however -
With such a plethora of accouterments, where (how ) will you carry your revolver(s) ?

yhs
Prof Marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Colonel Buckshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 12:25:52 AM »
They are all a lot of work getting the uniforms right but well worth the effort. 
Adrian Geary
Samsula, FL
US Army Honorable Discharged  19E/45K
NRA, GAF, SUVCW

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:04:25 AM »

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 12:49:55 AM »
a fascinating and thorough posting, sir, my  thanks. I have a question, however -
With such a plethora of accouterments, where (how ) will you carry your revolver(s) ?

Thank you, indeed, Professor!  (As you can likely tell, I am quite excited about this opportunity finally emerging ....)

After once trying to wear the sword while shooting (in my Black Watch persona) at a GAF Muster,  I very soon discarded the bloody thing (.... thereafter reserving it only for the Dress uniform, with which firearms are not worn/carried, of course.)  That permits me to easily wear a holster and revolver cartridge pouch on one side,  and the "ball bag" for rifle cartridges (as seen on the waistbelt in the photo of the Private) on the other side .....

Indeed, one of my ulterior motives in deciding to keep myself at the Senior NCO level is the type of holster I can wear.  Instead of the rather inconvenient full-flap officer's pattern holster I have hitherto used, the NCO pattern holster in the British Army was a relatively simple open-top pattern, like this:

Mind you, I honestly don't know how much I gain by "leaving the sword in camp", as it were.   To be fully and "properly" equipped for the field as a Sergeant, rather than the standard  triangular-bladed socket bayonet I would have to tote the bloody great "yataghan" Sergeants- and Rifles-pattern sword bayonet that I am wearing here in my c-1885 Queen's Own Rifles of Canada getup -
 ::)

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 07:37:09 AM »
RSJ, I look forward to seeing the new uniform at the Muster this fall. My Scottish ancestors are ones I am proud of.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 06:40:55 PM »
Oh, sure! I see where this is going!

All your old uniforms have won and are therefore no longer eligible to win a uniform competition and you want to win a second bauble to where around your neck!   ;D

Congratulations on your find!

I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Cowtown Scout

• Top Active Citizen
  • TEXAS By GOD
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 06:35:29 PM »
Rattlesnake Jack
Congratulations Sir on finally being able to depict The 5th Battalion, Royal Scots of Canada that you have desired for some time.  Thank you for the detailed explaination of the uniform and how you plan to put yours togeather.  I'm sure you will look smashing in the completed uniform.
Scout
8) 8)
GAF #510, STORM #98, GOFWG #126, SSS #211, SBSS #1713, CVV
Life Member: SASS, LSA, ORA, Whittington Center, LSFSC, Founders Club (Gold)
Benefactor Member: NRA and TSRA, Past President TSRA

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 06:44:00 PM »
Scout, I noticed that you're havin' a birthday this month.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • SASS #: 87747
  • GAF #: 502
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 07:16:56 PM »
RSJ
What a great post . Love the info on one of 'our' Regiments. Thanks for the photos and the lesson.
Dutchy
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 12:59:35 AM »
RJR,

It is as usual, you are doing it right!  Very impressive.  Looking forward to the pictures when you have it all together!! ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 07:00:29 AM »
I've always enjoyed your Royal Highland Regiment portrayal and look forward to seeing this one when it is complete.

Bill Johnson
aka US Scout
Bvt Brig Gen, GAF

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com