Author Topic: Replica Civil War era medals  (Read 11803 times)

Offline Sgt Major Barber

• Very Active Citizen
  • GAF - #619 SASS #72298 SCORRS
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Replica Civil War era medals
« on: February 17, 2009, 04:36:43 PM »
Greetings all.

Does anyone know where I can purchase, on line, replica civil war medals?  These (if I can find) will ride next to my newly ordered GAF medal.  Also ordered the collar tabs.  Have the whole kit and kaboodle now. 

Will take some pictures up next to the recently rebuilt Ft. Umpqua stocked walls.  Was a Hudson's Bay fort, but not too many stockaded forts around here.  Plan next summer on going on a photo op trip to get some good shots of me in the get-up.

Now, will have to try to learn how to post photos on the forum.

All the best,
2-Dot
Don't squat on yer spurs!
Two Dot Wrangler

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
Re: Replica Civil War era medals
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 04:55:23 PM »
Dixie Gun Works used to sell some odds 'n' ends.
There really weren't any number of 'official' medals issued, mostly private strikes for veterans units, like the Kearney medal, or other one-of-a-kinds commissioned for certain actions privately for limited issue to participants, or Corps badges made fancy. The typical GAR veteran medal was another veteran medal post-war.

www.dixiegunworks.com/default.php?cPath=22_107_281_298&sort=2a&&page=1

Look here for some of their offerings.

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 04:57:15 PM »
St. George's Notes IV - Medals...
« on: July 04, 2004, 04:14:18 PM »     

A large number of folks are portraying Military men as well as Veterans of the Civil War, the Indian Wars and
frequently both.
There are even those who portray members of the 1st Volunteer Cavalry - TR's "Rough Riders" - though there
certainly seem to be far more "portrayers' than there were "originals" of that organization...

This brings up a point that needs to be made when creating your Impression.

The Wearing of Military Medals...

In essence - you don't get to wear any.

The Army of the pre-1900 time frame had the "Certificate of Merit" - a paper document given solely
to Enlisted men and established in 1847, during the War with Mexico and issued until 1905.
The "Medal of Honor" - not the "Congressional Medal of Honor", by the way - was the country's first metallic
decoration.

Originally created for the Navy on December 21, 1861, the Army followed with its variant six months later,
on July 12, 1862.

Though differing in design and created by two separate Acts of Congress, Army and Navy Medals of Honor are
usually referred to as "Medal of Honor" as if they were one decoration.

And this brings up another distinction - there are "Service Medals" and there are "Decorations".

"Service Medals" would be awarded for Campaign Participation, while a "Decoration" would be awarded
for a specific act.

Going back - there are two Army Medals of Honor that could possibly be worn by your impression - the
1862-1896 design, with a "flag-styled ribbon" and the 1896-1904 design with a striped ribbon - the
difference being the ribbon syle.

After the mass distribution of these medals during the Civil War a Board was held to determine their validity
of issue and many were rejected.

More on that if it's warranted...

Read "A Shower of Stars" for an insight.

The various Campaign medals - while "neat" and attractive and more important - available - weren't
authorized until well after the turn of the Century.

Army
Civil War Campaign - Authorized 11 JAN 05
Indian Campaign - Authorized 11 JAN 05
Spanish Campaign - Authorized 11 JAN 05
Spanish War Service - Authorized 9 JUL 18
Army of Cuban Occupation - Authorized 28 JUN 15
Army of Puerto Rican Occupation - Authorized 28 JUN 15
Philippine Campaign - Authorized 11 JAN 05
Philippine Congressional - Authorized 29 JUN 06

Navy and Marines
Civil War Campaign - Authorized 27 JUN 08
Spanish Campaign - Authorized 27 JUN 08
Philippine Campaign - Authorized 27 JUN 08
China Relief - Authorized 27 JUN 08(service from 1900 - 1901)

Now this isn't to say that you can't wear something on your uniform - because there are guys out there right
now looking at studio portraits of be-uniformed men, bedecked with all manner of finery, and they're
getting all worked up.

Slow down, Trooper...

The finery that you see are "Society Medals" - those medals that one would buy (and once in a great while,
earn) from the Military Society or Veteran's organization that they happened to belong to later in life.

A lot of those photos are of GAR men.

There were all manner of Veteran's Badges available - from the "Ladder Badge" depicting on bars clasped
together by rings - the Company, the numeric designator, the State and the type of unit - "Co. F" - "2d" - "Iowa" - "Vol Cav" - complete with a miniature of a Corps Badge suspended below, or maybe a bullion tassle.

Or perhaps a "Shield" - with the veteran's name above on the scroll and his unit-specific information suspended below.

There could be the traditional "GAR" badge or a more impressive one if you portray an Officer in that organization and as time went on almost every old vet got that chance, as the membership died off.

Then, there would be badges from the "Society Armies" - "The Society Army of the Tennessee" or of the "Cumberland" or "Potomac", or maybe the "Union Veteran's League", and even the "Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States" - an organization of ex-Union officers.

The South had the "United Confederate Veterans" - not as well-developed an organization as the GAR, but surely as powerful in Southern States.

For more - including pictures - see my articles in "North-South Trader's Civil War"- Vol XXII, No. 5, September-October 1995

These were all politically strong veteran's organizations - the fore-runners of our present American Legion and VFW and DAV, and membership was encouraged.

This was also a time of wide-spread Lodge membership and those had their badges that show up in photographs as well.

The point is - when developing your impression of a Military man or of a Veteran, you can do plenty to enhance it without resorting to temptation.

There are large numbers of original GAR/UCV items available that can be used in a lapel or on a watch fob.

There's even a flask that you can find once in awhile and it adds to your "look", and a lot of men carried (and enjoyed) a touch of the creature...

St. George's Notes V... The Issuing of Medals...
« on: July 07, 2004, 03:27:36 PM »     

In my earlier Notes - I talked about Medals in general, and gave issuance dates.

Here's a little more on the history and idiosyncracies of that process.

Most all of the Campaign and Service Medals cited came about long after a serving soldier had ended his military career, yet he was eligible for one and surely deserved one - so how to get it?

Well, let me tell you...

If the servicemember was by some chance still on Active Duty - and some were - the specific medal was requested through channels, using his Service Record Book as proof, and issued at an appropriate ceremony.

These medals were numbered on their rim (12345) (later-issue - No.12345) and were Government-issued
items.

But what about the guy who'd retired or merely got out?

Simple - if he wanted one - he could buy one.

Upon presenting his proof of service to the Philadelphia Mint (often, he did this through the good offices of the Post Office) - he could apply to purchase a mint-struck medal no different from the issued item, save for the rim numbering that now featured the marking "MNo." - for "Mint Number" - thus, his medal would read MNo. 12345.

The issue medals can be researched, but for the most part, the Mint-numbered one's can't, so it's important that you look for any and all other documentation when buying one.

And as to that - they're faked and have been since the '30's, so beware and know your seller.

GAR medals aare numbered as well - indicating an "official" badge, made from captured Confederate cannon.

It used to be an "inspectable item" at a GAR meeting when one of the ranking officers came to call, because the Veteran could buy an un-numbered one a little cheaper from an unlicensed vendor, and they frowned on doing that.

The Government continued to produce those early Campaign and Service Medals until late WWII - for the last surviving vets and for their families.

I've got a Civil War Campaign Medal - boxed - that's from a 40's Contract.

Alas - none are left, having been disposed of in the late '60's.

If a family wants some tangible memento from the Government, they'll get a Certificate - nothing more.

A side note.

During the early stages of WWI as senior men were landing in France, the French thought that there were a number of "Legion d Honneur" recipients amongst the newly-arriving Americans.

The French decoration features a Red ribbon, with Red edges - just like our Indian War Medal ribbon did...

We added two Black vertical stripes to our medal to avoid embarrassment and confusion, but if you happen to ever see a Government-issue, Indian Campaign medal with an all-Red ribbon - look reverently - it's one of the earliest ones...

If you do happen to want to see one - coupled with a Spanish Campaign with a Silver Gallantry Star on its first-pattern ribbon as well, and numbered to B Company's First Sergeant of the 10th Cavalry - more and more, it looks like a display's in order.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:56:42 PM »

Offline Sgt Major Barber

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 05:17:38 PM »
Wow St. George....and River City John

Everything one could want to know about the subject.  I knew the Indian War Medals were issued long after the Indian Wars, but knew nuthin' about the history of the CW medals.  Guess maybe the GAF medal may be a lone ranger, huh?

Thanks again to you guys for the info.
All the best,
2-Dot
Two Dot Wrangler

Offline Colonel Buckshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 06:16:15 PM »
There is a place on Ebay has wonderful Post Civil War corps Medals.  wsv256 is the seller he also has GAR replacement ribbons.  I have the Army of the Potomac Medal and the Army of the Tenn. Medal.  They are extremely acurate. 
Adrian Geary
Samsula, FL
US Army Honorable Discharged  19E/45K
NRA, GAF, SUVCW

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 06:44:30 PM »
How about a replica of the medal Emperor Maximillian gave the Confederate troops?  I believe that is what John Wayne gives to one of the girls in The Searchers.

Offline Sgt Major Barber

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 07:26:08 PM »
Hey.  Got over to ebay and checked out the site.  Some interesting stuff there.  Thanks for the heads up.
All the best,
2-Dot
Two Dot Wrangler

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 05:29:31 AM »
Wow St. George....and River City John

Everything one could want to know about the subject.  I knew the Indian War Medals were issued long after the Indian Wars, but knew nuthin' about the history of the CW medals.  Guess maybe the GAF medal may be a lone ranger, huh?

Thanks again to you guys for the info.
All the best,
2-Dot

For GAF functions or when a member is representing the GAF at another event or function, the only medals authorized for wear are the GAF Medal and medals awarded at a GAF Muster.  The Marksmanship Award, which is not a medal, may also be worn by the GAF members who have earned it. 

The GAF does not regulate what may be worn by GAF members when attending a non-GAF event. 

US Scout
GAF, Commanding

Offline Sgt Major Barber

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 02:08:36 PM »
Hey U. S. Scout:
10-4
Thanks,
2-Dot
Two Dot Wrangler

Offline Mulee Pete

• MuleePete,phd
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 08:46:34 PM »
In the future there may be folks who study the military of the late20th century, just as some of us now enjoy the hobby of recreating the military of the mid to late 19th century.

As a Petty Officer First Class (Retired) I would no more wear awards and commendations of the past than I would modern awards and commendations I have not been awarded.  It is a matter of military etiquette, and respect for the award, and those who's actions were determined to merit such recognition.

While it may look cool and is a temptation to be "authentic", in reality we are not entitled to wear such items.

Please resist self grandure and gratification.  Honor the award properly.

MuleePete
Saddler Sargeant GAF Department of the Platte, #521
SCORRS
CBQD #1
SASS Life #34368
USN Life (Ret.)

Keep track of your lustrums!

Offline Sgt Major Barber

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 10:19:14 PM »
Hey Mulee Pete.

I feel the same.  The medals I have purchased will be in their plastic holders and passed around to the students as an example of some of the medals of the era.  I would not disrespect them fellas from so long ago to display that which I did not earn.  They are strictly show and tell items.  Most of the ones I have, by the way, were awarded long after the CW and Indian Wars were over.

All the best,
2-Dot
Two Dot Wrangler

Offline Colonel Buckshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 12:11:53 AM »
The medals That I bought are society and corp badges.  To me they are the same as the patch I wore on my shoulder to identify my unit or (Army) as in the case of the Army of the Potomac Cavalry Corps medal that identifies the soldier as a member of the corp,  or the Army of the Tenn. Medal which Identifies the soldier as a member of that Army.  I believe it was Major General Kearny who started the medal and badge wearing to keep straglers from falling in with different units. 
Adrian Geary
Samsula, FL
US Army Honorable Discharged  19E/45K
NRA, GAF, SUVCW

Offline Sgt Major Barber

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 12:16:12 AM »
Hey Colonel Buckshot.  Those are exactly the types of medals I now possess.  Society and Corps just probably like yours.
All the best,
2-Dot
Two Dot Wrangler

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 09:04:38 AM »
Corps Badges were worn as identifying marks - but the vast bulk of them were worn on the kepi, as a pin.

Officers would sometimes purchase a little 'nicer' version from a jeweler - but they were usually a simple device with a pinback or holes, for ease of attachment by sewing.

Many, many were of cloth - cut and sewn by the soldier - and their survival rate is somewhat low, though they do appear in museum collections.

The ornate, post-war 'Society' badges are just that - 'post-war' - and weren't available during the conflict, but came into use as veterans came to want more of an affiliation with their wartime experience.

This was the era of 'Lodges' and 'Societies' and most men belonged to something, because it was expected if one was to be taken seriously.

The Membership Badge of the 'Grand Army of the Frontier' fits perfectly into this type of organizational/society device.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Fiddler Green

• Top Active Citizen
  • Defender of all things fun!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 12:49:15 AM »

Many, many were of cloth - cut and sewn by the soldier - and their survival rate is somewhat low, though they do appear in museum collections.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Our first decoration was of this type.

General George Washington established a cloth heart, made of purple cloth that was authorized to be sewn on a uniform as a symbol of "Military Merit". General Washington proclaimed "Let it be known that he who wears the military order of the Purple Heart has given of his blood in the defense of his homeland and shall forever be revered by his fellow countrymen."

Although it still states “For Military Merit” on the back of the medal, is currently only awarded for “Wounds received in connection with military operations against a hostile force”.  It is commonly referred to as the “Enemy Marksmanship Medal”.

Bruce

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2009, 07:50:51 PM »
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com