Author Topic: Bring a Vet to School  (Read 2057 times)

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bring a Vet to School
« on: November 12, 2007, 08:55:18 PM »
Today, I had the privilage to go and address my daughter's kindergarten class on the subject of "What a Veteran Is." I had a really great time doing it and the kids asked some good questions like "Why do you all wear the same kid of cloths?" I also got to answer questions like "Why are there people out there that want to hurt us?" I also left a bunch of cup cakes so the teacher had to deal with 20 kids with a sugar high....He he he....

Anyway, if any of you have the opportunity to do be taken to school, I HIGHLY recommend it. It was a valuable use of time and effort.

http://marines.togetherweserved.com/usmc/s...entExt&ID=38410
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
Re: Bring a Vet to School
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 05:32:05 AM »
Not quite the same thing, but last night a young family came over to pick up some furniture we wanted to get rid of.  I had a USMC flag flying outside and the young husband/father asked if I was a veteran.  I replied I was and he instantly thanked me for my service.  A bit later he told his young daughter, maybe all of 4 years old, that I was a veteran and what that meant, and that she should thank me, which she did. 

Around the metropolitan Washington, DC area we have more veterans than a mangy dog has fleas so we don't often get thanked for much of anything. 

US Scout
Bvt Brig Gen, GAF

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 424
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 06:57:06 AM »
Major

I know the feeling, I have spoken at many Schools in Florida, Mississippi & Virginia...
I recall being impressed with one 5th, grader at a Lutheran Church & School, He was quite intelligent and posed some very
interesting and well throughout questions.
I also recall, the rude and callus behavior of students as a group in a Mississippi High School.... :(

In the years I done this I found the Younger (grades K  -7) classes were uplifting, and I enjoyed the experience... :)
To bad some Children have to become ...snide wisecracking teenagers & misguided adults  ::)

In memory of those who have Paid the Price of Freedom
when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:33:25 PM »

Offline Will Dearborn

• "Ramrod, wreckage, and ruin..."
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Faugh an Ballagh
    • My Place on myspace
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 08:59:22 AM »
Speaking of snide teenagers,

My son's history teacher knows me and knows that I do all kinds of living history/Civil War stuff in the area for hte Arts Council... so next month, during their Civil War section of class I get to go and speak to them, in uniform.  I'm taking a few items to set up a table and let them handle cartridge boxes, repo combustable ammo (no powder... it's blue cornmeal - it IS a high school, after all), a couple of flags and some Irish Brigade pictures. 

We'll see.  I'm hoping to recruit a few to do some reenactment/shoots here in the area.  I'm trying to get enough people together to form a NCOWS posse and hold an annual black powder shoot in honor of Gen. J.O. Shelby.

We'll see. 

Long days and pleasant nights,
Will
"First comes smiles; then comes lies.  Last is gunfire."
                                                -Roland of Gilead
V.P., Waverly Arts Council
Chairman, Gen. Jo Shelby's Iron Brigade Assn.
SASS #75873
RATS #359
SBSS #2032
SCORRS
GAF #467
Private, 7th and 30th Cons. Missouri Inf.  "Irish Brigade"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com