Author Topic: A likely new recruit for GAF  (Read 2298 times)

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
A likely new recruit for GAF
« on: April 28, 2007, 02:58:27 AM »
Gentlemen:

I am busily trying to recruit someone who strikes me as an ideal candidate for GAF enrolment, and am particularly excited at the prospect of being able to swell the ranks of the British Empire contingent in the process. 

This gentleman has been posting on one of the British firearms forums I frequent, and has just revealed that he is a cowboy action shooter, with a persona as a Zulu War era 17th Lancer!  As far as I am aware, he is not a member of GAF, or even aware of its existence, but I am certainly doing my best to remedy that!

To give some idea of why I have formed this impression of his suitability,  here is part of a portrait he posted - I have blurred his face and omitted his Lady, since I do not yet have his permission to post more ... (click thumbnail to enlarge) -

Among other engagements for which they are renowned, the 17th Lancers had the honour of administering the coup de grace in the final defeat of the Zulu Army at the last major engagement of the Zulu War - the Battle of Ulundi.  The Lancers were protected inside the British Infantry square until the mass attack of the Zulu Impis was rebuffed by the withering firepower of artillery and Martin-Henry rifles.  As the Zulus began their retreat, the infantry square opened and the 17th Lancers poured out to utterly rout them.  The Zulu army never took to the field again after that battle ...

A few period illustrations (click to enlarge) -

Photo of 17th Lancers re-enactors in the United Kingdom ... first, a trooper engaged in the sport of "tent-pegging" followed by a group shot - note the Martini-Henry cavalry carbines visible in their buckets behind the leg on the right side of the horse in both pictures ....

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 110
Re: A likely new recruit for GAF
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 08:40:10 AM »
That's great, pard.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 09:50:43 AM »
Shabash, R.J.R., Shabash!
Best regards and good recruiting!
'Ol Gabe

Advertising