Author Topic: ** PHOTOS ADDED ** Spencer Company at 150th Anniversary Battle of Selma  (Read 20585 times)

Offline nactorman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Below is some info on the Wilson's Raiders Repeater Company forming for the 150th Anniversary Battle of Selma. All SSS members are invited to join us for a unique event filled with plenty of Spencer shooting action.

Offline nactorman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Spencer Company at 150th Anniversary Battle of Selma
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 11:47:49 PM »

Things are really shaping up for the 150th Selma event.

Preliminary registrations have been submitted for the company, but it is not too late to sign up. If you would like to participate, send me an e-mail and I'll make sure you get registered and receive a copy of the our latest informational update.

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 04:57:17 AM »
Hi nactorman,

Thanks for the post and terrific information . . . any chance you could add to this thread by posting "a copy of the our latest informational update(s)"?

I will make this a "sticky" to keep in plain sight for all SSS members to see and read.

Thanks again,

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Advertising

Offline nactorman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 05:42:14 PM »
Hi,
  I don't know how I missed your post about forwarding updates, but I just saw it today. Anyway, here is the latest one we sent out:

Wilson’s Raiders Repeater Company
Fall Update

General:
   I hope this message finds everyone well and enjoying the fall campaign season. Preparations for the Wilson’s Raiders Repeater Company are in full swing and I thought now might be a good time to send out a little update.

Registrations:
   A preliminary unit registration was submitted not long ago. We registered 18 soldiers with our company. We have also been in contact with several individuals who have committed to participating with us, but who had already submitted registrations under other designations. This is a ‘the more the merrier’ effort, so if you know of an individual or group who would like to participate with us, please feel free to pass along the flyer (attached in PDF format) and contact info. While it is perfectly acceptable to register on your own, if you send me an e-mail at: Nactorman@yahoo.com , I can simply add you to our company registration.

Event Website:
   For those who have not visited the Battle of Selma website, it can be accessed at:
http://battleofselma.com

Schedule of Events (Preliminary):   
   Friday:
      All Day - School Tours
      Afternoon - Wilson’s Raiders members will meet, set up camps, etc.
      7:30 PM - Artillery Night Firing
      8:00 PM - Camp Dance at Pavilion
      Evening - Wilson’s Raiders Company Meet and Greet Supper at local       restaurant. Location TBD.

Saturday:
      9:00 AM - Park opens to visitors
      Morning - Wilson’s Raiders drill and safety briefing. Issuing of ammo to       participants.
      2:00 PM - Battle of Selma Reenactment.
      Evening - Wilson’s Raiders Pre-Ball Supper at local restaurant. Location       TBD.
      7:00-11:00 PM - Grand Military Ball at Sturdivant Hall

Sunday:
      9:00 AM - Church Services
      10:30 AM - March to Old Live Oak Cemetery for Civil War Memorial       Service.
      2:00 PM - 150th Anniversary Battle of Selma
      Afternoon - Wilson’s Raiders Post Event Supper

Camping:

Authentic:
      Our company will be composed of folks who may choose among various       
        camping/motel options. (Again, we are a ‘come one, come all’ unit for the           
        weekend.) The main campsite for our company will be in the Federal       
        Authentic Camp near the river. Period Civilians are welcome to camp with       
        us. We will have a Wilson’s Cavalry Corps Flag on display to help mark       
        our camp. (Red Flag with Red Crossed Sabers.)

Modern:
      There is modern camping across the covered bridge near the spectator       
        parking area. This is a large baseball complex. I do not know what           
        facilities may be available other than ports-johns.

Motel:
      There are several motels/hotels in Selma that are relatively near the       
    reenactment site. Please remember that this is Selma (ah, hem...well, you       
    know) and you will want to choose one of the better establishments for       
    your stay. Also, the last several years the reenactment has fallen on the       
    same weekend as homecoming/prom in Selma. This means that the       
    hotels/motels are pretty busy on Friday night. I recommend reserving a       
    room ahead of time. Below is info for a few of the places that we have       
    stayed in the past. Please do you own research or send me a message if       
    you have any specific questions:   

Hampton Inn Selma
         2200 W Highland Ave
         Selma, AL 36701
         334-876-9995

Holiday Inn Express & Suites   
         2000 Lincoln Way
         Selma, AL 36701
         334-874-1000

Comfort Inn
         1812 Alabama 14
         Selma, AL 36703
         334-875-5700

Quality Inn
         2420 N Broad St
         Selma, AL 36701
         334-874-8600

Battle Scenario:
   I have been in touch with the event hosts over the last several weeks as well as the overall US Commander for the event - Ken Sumner. All are looking forward to our participation. Ken is planning on incorporating our company into the battle scenario in a special way that will allow us to show off the firepower of our repeating arms and demonstrate to the public what Wilson’s Raiders might have looked and sounded like as they assaulted the defenses of Selma 150 years ago.

Some History:
   I recently had a conversation with some of the event hosts regarding weapons used by Wilson’s Raiders during the Battle of Selma in 1865. There are only a handful of longarms that can be documented as having been used at the battle by Union participants:

Spencer (rifle and carbine): The vast majority of Wilson’s 13,000 man force were equipped with Spencer rifles and carbines. Wilson hasd stripped the remainder of his Cavalry Corps in order to arm the three divisions that made the campaign to Selma.

Henry:
 According to Andrew Bresnan’s excellent research, it seems there were from 50-150 Henry armed soldiers in Long’s Division. To access more info, see Andrew’s article at: http://44henryrifle.webs.com/wildersbrigadehenry.htm .

Other: In addition, there were approximately 500 soldiers who began the campaign with what are described as breechloading carbines designed to fire the Spencer’s self-contained ammunition. That really narrows things down. Unless I have overlooked something, the following are the possibilities: the Warner, Sharps & Hankins, Joslyn, Converted Gallager, and Ballard carbines. Of these, the Warner carbines are documented as having been carried by members of the 7th Ohio. It is not known, however, whether all of the ‘other’ carbines were Warner Carbines or whether some of the other weapons listed above may also have been used.

Keep In Touch!
   That’s it for now. I’ll be sending out another update in a few months. Of course, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at: Nactorman@yahoo.com. See you in April.

Offline nactorman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 01:15:25 AM »
Winter Update

I hope this message finds everyone well and having enjoyed the Christmas holidays. Hopefully Santa filled everyone’s stockings with plenty of ammo! It’s time again for another update on plans for the Wilson’s Raiders Repeater Company and the 150th Anniversary Battle of Selma.

Folks who have received previous updates will notice some of the below info is repeated from previous messages, but I’ve included it here again for some of our recent additions. 

Registrations:
   Things are really shaping up for this to be a great event. We recently submitted an addition to our preliminary registration. We presently have 35 soldiers and 10 civilians registered with the company. There is no deadline for registration, so if you have a friend who is interested in participating, please have them go ahead and contact me at: Nactorman@yahoo.com.

Car Pooling:
   I have been contacted by one interested party who lives near New York City and who wondered if there might be anyone coming from the Northeast who would want to car pool. Rather than publish his contact info here, if you are interested just send me a message and I’ll pass along his info and you can coordinate directly with him.

Event Website:
   The event Website is:

Schedule of Events (Preliminary):
   Friday:
      All Day - School Tours and arrivals
      Afternoon - Wilson’s Raiders members meet, set up camps, etc.
      Evening - Wilson’s Raiders Company Meet & Greet Supper at The Golden               Ranch BBQ & Grill

Saturday:
      Morning - Wilson’s Raiders drill and safety briefing. Issue of ammo to               participants.
      2:00 PM - Battle of Selma Reenactment
      Evening - Wilson’s Raiders Pre-Ball Supper (location TBD)

Sunday:
      10:30 AM - March to Live Oak Cemetery for Memorial Service
      2:00 PM - 150th Battle of Selma Reenactment
      Afternoon - Wilson’s Raiders Post Event Supper (Cracker Barrel?)

Camping:
   Authentic:
      Our company will be composed of folks who may choose among various camping/motel options. (Again, we are a ‘come one, come all’ unit for the weekend.) The main campsite for our company will be in the Federal Authentic Camp near the river. Period civilians are welcome to camp with us. We will have a Wilson’s Cavalry Corps flag on display to help mark our camp. (Red with Yellow Crossed Sabers.)

Modern:
      There is modern camping across the bridge near the spectator parking area. This is a large baseball complex. I do no know what facilities may be available other than port-a-johns.

Motel:
      There are several motels/hotels in Selma that are relatively near the reenactment site. Please remember that this is Selma (ah, hem...well, you know) and you will want to choose one of the better establishments for your stay. Also, the last several years the reenactment has fallen on the same weekend as homecoming/prom in Selma. This means that the hotels/motels are pretty busy on Friday night. I recommend reserving a room ahead of time. Here is a link to a website with all of the info on accommodations in Selma:

http://selmaalabama.com/plan-your-stay/lodging.html

Below is info for a few of the places that we have stayed in the past. Please do your own research or send me a message if you have any specific questions:

Hampton Inn Selma
   2200 W Highland Ave
   Selma, AL 36701
   334-876-9995

2000 Lincoln Way
   Selma, AL 36701
   334-874-1000   

Comfort Inn
   1812 Alabama 14
   Selma, AL
   334-875-5700

Quality Inn
   2420 N Broad St
   Selma, AL 36701
   334-874-8600

Unit Command:
   Our company commander for the weekend will be Zack Ray. Other officers and NCO’s will be chosen upon site according to our needs, to assist with the management of the company. We do not yet have a battalion assignment. We do know that we will be operating under the command of overall US commander Ken Sumner. For those who have been with us in the past at Selma, you know that we sometimes act somewhat independent of the regular battalion structure as ours is a special impression. We do know that Ken is working with the CS commander and the event hosts to make sure that our group plays a special part in the action.

Free Cartridges:
   Veteran Arms LLC is sponsoring the Wilson’s Raiders Repeater Company, and will be issuing each soldier equipped with a repeater a free package of 100 blank cartridges. These will be distributed probably on Saturday afternoon. Cartridges are available in the following calibers: 45 LC / 44 WCF / 56-50 Spencer. These are the only cartridge sizes that are available or that will be distributed.

Breechloaders / Non-Repeaters:
   Although most of the folks up to this point who have registered with the company have indicated that they will be using repeating rifles, folks with breechloaders and even muzzleloaders are encouraged to participate also. If you know of someone who does not have a repeater, but who would like to join us for the weekend, please have him go ahead and register with our company. We don’t want to split up groups that may have only a few people with repeaters, or have groups opt not to join us because they feel the remainder of their unit is not welcome. We will tailor our activities so as to include everyone. With that said, we want to try to look as much like late-war, western cavalry troopers (fighting on foot) as possible, so if one possesses a breechloader, carbine, dbl shotgun, or other short weapon other than a standard musket, they are encouraged to use those. Of course, muskets will be acceptable also, if that is all one has to use. Also, enlisted men without repeaters are encouraged to bring/use their revolvers if they have one. If there are any questions about any of this, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Tools:
   Although individuals are encouraged to bring whatever tools/equipment they need to participate, our company will also be providing a few tools to a designated NCO should tools be needed to make a quick adjustment or repair in the field during a scenario.

The April 1865 Society:
   The April 1865 Society, sponsors of the event, have been working very hard to have historical markers made and installed around the city in time for the 150th Anniversary of the battle. They have already installed three of the ten markers that they hope to have in place by April. For more info, see the Battle of Selma website’s front page, as well as: http://battleofselma.com/?page_id=10509 

Grand Military Ball:
   The Grand Military Ball at Sturdivant Hall is always one of the highlights of this event, and members are encouraged to attend. This is a dress-up affair. The mansion is located off-site, but can be accessed via private vehicle (on-street parking), or via the provided shuttle transportation. See: http://battleofselma.com/?page_id=1280

Historical Weapons Info:
   Our company recently provided information to the event hosts concerning what types of weapons were used by the Union forces at the Battle of Selma 150 years ago. It may be of some interest.
   Only a handful of longarms can be documented as having been used by Union soldiers at the Battle of Selma. They are:

Spencer (Rifle and Carbine) - The vast majority of Wilson’s 13,000 man          force were equipped with Spencer repeaters. Wilson had stripped          the remainder of his Cavalry Corps of Spencers in order to arm the          three divisions that made the campaign to Selma.

Henry Rifle - According to Andrew Bresnan’s excellent research, it seems          there were from 50-150 Henry armed soldiers in Long’s Division. To          access more info, see Andrew’s article at:
         http://44henryrifle.webs.com/wildersbrigadehenry.htm

Other - In addition, there were approximately 500 soldiers who began the          campaign with what are described as breechloading carbines          designed to fire the Spencer’s self-contained ammunition. That          really narrows things down. Unless I have overlooked something,          the following are the possibilities: the Warner, Sharps & Hankins,          Joslyn, Converted Gallager, and Ballard carbines. Of these, the          Warner carbines are documented as having been carried by          members of the 7th Ohio. It is not known, however, if all of the          ‘other’ carbines were Warner Carbines or included some of the          other weapons from the list above.

Reading:
   For those interested in learning more about Wilson’s Raid and the Battle of Selma, the following books may be of interest:

“Yankee Blitzkrieg” - James Pickett Jones
         “Wilson’s Cavlary Corps” - Jerry Keenan
         “Columbus, Georgia 1865” - Charles Misulia

Spread the Word:
   Please continue to spread the word about the Wilson’s Raiders Repeater Company to your reenacting friends and acquaintances. While we already have a great group registered, the saying is true - the more the merrier. If you need a copy of our informational flyer to pass along, please e-mail me and I will send copies via e-mail in PDF or JPG formats.

That’s it for now. I will be sending out another e-mail update in the spring as we draw closer to time for the event. In the meantime, if anyone has any questions please feel free to contact me at: Nactorman@yahoo.com . I look forward to seeing everyone in April.

Charles Misulia

Offline nactorman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 11:31:04 PM »
Hi All,

It is not too late to join us for what is sure to be a fun and unique way to wind up the 150th anniversary cycle of Civil War reenactment events. Put that Spencer to good use!

For those already planning to attend, here is the latest information...

April Update

I hope this message finds everyone well and knee deep in ammo. It’s time again for another update on plans for the Wilson’s Raiders Repeater Company and the 150th Anniversary Battle of Selma.

Folks who have received previous updates will notice some of the below info is repeated from previous messages, but I’ve included it here again for some of our recent additions. 

Registrations:
   Since my last update, we have added several new participants - both shooters and civilians. As it stands now, we should field an impressive company - the largest group of repeater equipped soldiers to enter Selma in 150 years! (And certainly the largest group in the history of the reenactment event.) Of course, if you know someone who might wish to participate, there is still time to sign up and make preparations. There is no registration fee and no deadline for registration. (Federal walk-ons are allowed.) Simply forward the name and e-mail of the person to me at: nactorman@yahoo.com so that I can add them to our company roster and submit their registration as an addition.
  Members of our company have been registered under the designation: Wilson’s Raiders Repeater Company. This is the unit designation you should use at the registration shack located at the park entrance.

Car Pooling:
   I have one request for a shared ride from NY. Rather than publish that party’s contact info here, if you are coming from ‘Up North’ and wouldn’t mind car pooling, just send me a message and I’ll pass it along .

Event Website:
   The event Website is:

The event website has been updated recently and contains some interesting information about some new historical markers that have been erected, just in time for the 150th anniversary. Also available on the site are several first person accounts of the battle from participants, an audio synopsis of the campaign, and other interesting information.

Schedule of Events:

Thursday:
      All Day - Arrivals and Camp Set-up.
      Morning-Early Afternoon - Living History Presentations for School Groups
      5:30 PM - Civil War Writer’s Forum at the Armory Arsenal downtown.

Friday:
      All Day - School Tours and arrivals
      Afternoon - Wilson’s Raiders members meet, set up camps, etc.
      7:00 PM - Wilson’s Raiders Company Meet & Greet Supper at The   
                   Golden Ranch BBQ & Grill
                     (See below for more info)

Saturday:
      Morning - Wilson’s Raiders drill and safety briefing. Issue of ammo to               participants.
      2:00 PM - Battle of Selma Reenactment
                     (See below for more info)

Sunday:
      10:30 AM - March to Live Oak Cemetery for Memorial Service
      2:00 PM - 150th Battle of Selma Reenactment
      Afternoon - Break Camp

Wilson’s Raiders Company Meet & Greet Supper at The Golden Ranch:
   For those who are interested, there will be a company meet & greet supper on Friday evening at The Golden Ranch BBQ & Grill at 7:00 PM. This will be a nice opportunity to cool down after setting up the camp, catch up with old friends, and make new ones. I expect there may be a few surprises for attendees also. I would like to get an idea of about how many may be planning on coming. If so, please drop me a line at: nactorman@yahoo.com to let me know. The Golden Ranch is located four miles from the event site at 2003 W Highland Ave. Use the following link for directions:
https://goo.gl/maps/JXHia

Getting There:
  Registration is at the main gate for Riverside Park. The address is:
122 Riverview Ave, Selma, AL 36701
  Below is a google maps link to the site of the registration shack at the main gate. Yes, you really do have to drive through the cemetery to reach the park!
https://goo.gl/maps/dtZli

Finding Us:
  Once you have registered at the shack at the main gate, you may proceed to the Union camps near the river. I will have a couple of signs up on Thursday and Friday to help company members find where they are going. Once near the river, look for the wall tent with the Cav Corps MDM Flag (Red flag with yellow crossed sabers).

Camping:
      Our company will be composed of folks who may choose among various camping/motel options. (Again, we are a ‘come one, come all’ unit for the weekend.) The main campsite for our company will be in the Federal Authentic Camp near the river. Period civilians are welcome to camp with us.

Modern:
      There is modern camping across the bridge near the spectator parking area. This is a large baseball complex. I do no know what facilities may be available other than port-a-johns.

Motel:
      There are several motels/hotels in Selma that are relatively near the reenactment site. Please remember that this is Selma (ah, hem...well, you know) and you will want to choose one of the better establishments for your stay.
   As of this writing, there is only some limited availability left at the Hampton Inn, but there are still some vacancies at the Holiday Inn. I do not know about what might be left at the others.
   Also, keep in mind that the last several years the reenactment has fallen on the same weekend as homecoming/prom in Selma. This means that the hotels/motels are pretty busy on Friday night. I recommend reserving a room ahead of time. Here is a link to a website with all of the info on accommodations in Selma:

http://selmaalabama.com/plan-your-stay/lodging.html

Below is info for a few of the places that we have stayed in the past. Please do your own research or send me a message if you have any specific questions:

Hampton Inn Selma
   2200 W Highland Ave
   Selma, AL 36701
   334-876-9995

2000 Lincoln Way
   Selma, AL 36701
   334-874-1000   

Comfort Inn
   1812 Alabama 14
   Selma, AL
   334-875-5700

Quality Inn
   2420 N Broad St
   Selma, AL 36701
   334-874-8600

Unit Command:
      Our company commander for the weekend will be Zack Ray. Other officers and NCO’s will be chosen on site according to our needs, to assist with the management of the company. We will be operating under the command of overall US commander Ken Sumner.
   For those who have been with us in the past at Selma, you know that we sometimes act somewhat independent of the regular battalion structure as ours is a special impression. We do know that Ken is working with the CS commander and the event hosts to make sure that our group plays a special part in the action.

Free Cartridges:
   Veteran Arms LLC is sponsoring the Wilson’s Raiders Repeater Company, and will be issuing each soldier equipped with a repeater a free package of 100 blank cartridges. These will be distributed probably on Saturday afternoon. Cartridges are available in the following calibers: 45 LC / 44 WCF / 56-50 Spencer. These are the only cartridge sizes that are available or that will be distributed. These cartridges come unloaded, so you will need to have pre-loaded ones with you. For more info on how the blanks work, see the following link:

Ammo:
   In years past, our company has done some heavy and prolonged shooting at this event. We expect this year’s reenactment to be no different. Don’t get caught with an empty cartridge box!

Breechloaders / Non-Repeaters:
   Although most of the folks up to this point who have registered with the company have indicated that they will be using repeating rifles, folks with breechloaders and even muzzleloaders are encouraged to participate also. We will tailor our activities so as to include everyone. With that said, we want to try to look as much like late-war, western cavalry troopers (fighting on foot) as possible, so if one possesses a breechloader, carbine, dbl shotgun, or other short weapon other than a standard musket, they are encouraged to use those. Of course, muskets will be acceptable also, if that is all one has to use.

Revolvers:
   Enlisted men, especially those without repeaters, are encouraged to bring/use their revolvers if they have one.

Tools:
      Although individuals are encouraged to bring whatever tools/equipment they need to participate, our company will also be providing a few tools to a designated NCO should tools be needed to make a quick adjustment or repair in the field during a scenario.

Grand Military Ball:
      The Grand Military Ball at Sturdivant Hall is always one of the highlights of this event. It is held at a magnificent mansion in downtown Selma. See:
http://battleofselma.com/?page_id=1280
     Participants at the ball may tour the home and grounds, take refreshments on the porch, and dance the night away to the sounds of two (yes, 2!) alternating period bands in the garden. This is a dress-up affair. The mansion is located off-site at: 713 Mabry St. Participants are welcome to take their own vehicles (on street parking) by using the following directions:
https://goo.gl/maps/z4UtR
   Or, there is a free shuttle service from the Riverside Park entrance to Sturdivant Hall that runs about every five minutes. (Recommended for those camping on-site.)

Reading:
   For those interested in learning more about Wilson’s Raid and the Battle of Selma, the following books may be of interest:

“Yankee Blitzkrieg” - James Pickett Jones
         “Wilson’s Cavlary Corps” - Jerry Keenan
         “Columbus, Georgia 1865” - Charles Misulia
   “From Union Stars to Top Hat” - Edward Longacre

Spread the Word:
   Please continue to spread the word about the Wilson’s Raiders Repeater Company to your reenacting friends and acquaintances. While we already have a great group registered, the saying is true - the more the merrier. If you need a copy of our informational flyer to pass along, please e-mail me and I will send copies via e-mail in PDF or JPG formats.

That’s it for now. I will be sending out a final e-mail on the Monday prior to the event. In the meantime, if anyone has any questions please feel free to contact me at: Nactorman@yahoo.com . I look forward to seeing everyone in at the Battle of Selma.

Charles Misulia

Offline nactorman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 12:01:29 AM »
FINAL UPDATE:

Greetings All. It is now time for our last Wilson’s Raiders Repeater Company Update!

WEATHER:
Thankfully, it looks like we are going to get some welcome relief from the spring monsoons. Anticipated highs are in the low 80s, with 60s at night. Remember, there is always the chance of a pop-up storm this time of year so plan accordingly. 

REGISTRATIONS:
   Since my last update, we have had quite a few additions to our rolls. As it stands, we should field an impressive full scale company. Of course, if you know someone who wishes to participate, they may still do so. Federal walk-ons are welcomed by the event.
  Members of our company have been registered under the designation: Wilson’s Raiders Repeater Company. This is the unit designation you should use at the registration shack located at the park entrance.

EVENT WEBSITE:
   The event Website is:

MEET & GREET DINNER:
   Right now, we are expecting from 40-50 “raiders” and family at the company meet & greet supper on Friday evening at The Golden Ranch BBQ & Grill at 7:00 PM. The Golden Ranch is located four miles from the event site at 2003 W Highland Ave. Use the following link for directions:
https://goo.gl/maps/JXHia

DIRECTIONS:
  Registration is at the main gate for Riverside Park. The address is:
122 Riverview Ave, Selma, AL 36701
  Below is a google maps link to the site of the registration shack at the main gate. Yes, you really do have to drive through the cemetery to reach the park!
https://goo.gl/maps/dtZli

CAMP SITE:
  Once you have registered at the shack at the main gate, you may proceed to the Union camps near the river. I will have a couple of signs up on Thursday and Friday to help company members find where they are going. Once near the river, look for the wall tent with the Cav Corps MDM Flag (Red flag with yellow crossed sabers).

AMMO:
   In years past, our company has done some heavy and prolonged shooting at this event. We expect this year’s reenactment to be no different. Don’t get caught with an empty cartridge box!

REVOLVERS:
   Enlisted men, especially those without repeaters, are encouraged to bring/use their revolvers if they have one.

SEE YOU IN SELMA:
  Boots and Saddles! It is time to march for Selma. I will be on site on Thursday in the early afternoon. If you need to contact me, please send me an e-mail at: Nactorman@yahoo.com, or you may contact me via cell phone: 706-577-3475. See you in Selma!

Charles Misulia

Offline nactorman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 07:39:30 PM »
Boots and Saddles!

See you in Selma.

Offline Cowtown Scout

• Top Active Citizen
  • TEXAS By GOD
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 09:49:18 PM »
Boots and Saddles!

See you in Selma.

Our Unit the 4th U.S. Cavalry had a great time at The 150th Selma and fell in with Wilson's Raiders. We did not all have repeaters but we did have 2 Spencers and 3 Henrys, all the rest had Smith carbines.  When we went up the earth fortification and topped the berm we all went to revolvers and let em have it.  ;D  Then when the revolvers were empty we started back with the long guns from on top the berm. I went as a trooper instead of an officer so I could use my Henry. Hopefully nactorman will post the group photo of Wilson's Raiders. If he does our unit is knealing in the front row.
Scout
GAF #510, STORM #98, GOFWG #126, SSS #211, SBSS #1713, CVV
Life Member: SASS, LSA, ORA, Whittington Center, LSFSC, Founders Club (Gold)
Benefactor Member: NRA and TSRA, Past President TSRA

Offline nactorman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015, 12:31:23 AM »
150th Battle of Selma
Thank You

I hope this message finds everyone well, having dried out and recuperated from last weekend’s hard fighting.

I wanted to follow up with everyone and thank you all for making the effort to come out and participate with the Wilson’s Raiders Repeater Company at the 150th Anniversary Battle of Selma. I know that for many of you, it was a long drive and quite an effort. I hope that you had a good time in spite of the weather and the somewhat chaotic command/battle situation. I know that I certainly enjoyed visiting with old friends and making new ones.

The Meet & Greet Dinner at the Golden Ranch on Friday evening was, for me, one of the highlights of the weekend. In total, we had 37 Raiders and family in attendance, and much fun was had in relaying the latest dispatches from HQ.   

In total, on Saturday, we had 41 soldiers and 3 officers among the “Raiders.” This total does not include several additional orphaned infantrymen who were incorporated into our company for the battles. We fielded an impressive number of repeaters and breechloading weapons. Our company (not including the infantry add-ons) were armed with:

13 Spencers
14 Henrys
9 Smiths
5 Muzzleloading Rifles
1 Dbl Shotgun

On Sunday, we lost a few folks who had to leave early in order to get home, but also picked up a few who had not been able to make it out on Saturday, including a bugler.

I will be working on a more complete after action write-up over the next few days that I will make available along with photos and videos from the event. If you have any pics/vids you would like to share, please forward those to me ASAP so that I can make them available for everyone to view.

Also, I have had several folks inquire about how to purchase one of the Wilson’s Raiders T-shirts that the host unit were wearing. I have created a custom checkout on our webstore for them. To order, simply click the following link, fill out the shipping and payment info, and I’ll get a shirt off to you as soon as possible. I’m going to make these available through the 16th of May, so please submit your order prior to that time. The price listed in the checkout is my cost - I’m not making anything on these - and includes priority shipping ($17.75 shirt + $6 shipping).

http://veteranarms.biz/wirat.html

That’s it for now. Once again, thank you all for coming out and supporting our effort to raise a repeater/breechloader equipped company for the 150th Battle of Selma and making the final battle of the sesquicentennial one to remember.

God Bless.
Charles Misulia

Offline nactorman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 12:26:19 AM »
Well, this is long overdue but below are some pics from the 150th Selma. We had a great turnout and a splendid time.

Captain Zack looking regal having received his promotion to Arch-General along with a new set of spectacular epaulettes.

Andrew Bresnan receives a set of the War Dept's new prototype body armor.

Steve show's off his backup weapon (and sports a nifty Wilson's Raiders T-shirt)

Some of the Raiders forming up for inspection.

There is a lot of firepower assembled here.

An impressive looking company.

And another with weapons displayed.

My daughter wanted to get in on the action. She was rooting for us from the sidelines with her miniature Wilson's HQ flag.

Go get 'em boys!

The company awaits orders to go into action on Saturday.

Into the action.

That's a good looking line of Raiders!
(My daughter said we sounded like a really loud popcorn machine.)

The right flank.

The left flank.

Marching into battle on Sunday afternoon. A mighty impressive group, if I do say so myself.

Oops, somebody got a little carried away with the matches. (There is one in every bunch!)

Load 'em up!

The rebs think they are safe behind their defenses. (Not for long!)

A video (not mine) of our company rolling up the Rebel Lines and pouring some hot lead into them. Half of our company can be seen atop the earthworks in the background as they work their way down the lines using the works as cover. The other half of our company enters the scene at the 0:46 second mark in the foreground. Together they lay down an impressive fire. (Turn up your volume.)

Offline Cowtown Scout

• Top Active Citizen
  • TEXAS By GOD
  • Liked:
Re: ** PHOTOS ADDED ** Spencer Company at 150th Anniversary Battle of Selma
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 04:43:41 PM »
Thanks for posting the photos and especially the video. Our unit the 4th US Cav was your left flank shown on Saturday, and Sunday we went up the outside of the earthworks and are the ones on top the berm. That was really cool and we appreciate you allowing us to fall in with your group.
Scout
GAF #510, STORM #98, GOFWG #126, SSS #211, SBSS #1713, CVV
Life Member: SASS, LSA, ORA, Whittington Center, LSFSC, Founders Club (Gold)
Benefactor Member: NRA and TSRA, Past President TSRA

Offline nactorman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2015, 07:03:40 PM »
We were so happy to have y'all join us for the event. I think everyone had fun despite the weather on Friday night.

I have more pics and video that I hope to get posted soon.

All the best.

Offline Walksfire

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 04:13:11 PM »
I had fun at my first Re-Enactment with my original 1860 Spencer Carbine, shooting them blanks.  I jammed and fell down wounded, so that I could clear the mechanism. LOL.  :o

Where are those additional pictures? It is almost time to do it again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com