Author Topic: Converting a 3 Screw .357 to .44 Special  (Read 5942 times)

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Converting a 3 Screw .357 to .44 Special
« on: January 24, 2015, 08:45:22 PM »
This project, as usual, is slightly more involved that I thought it would be.  I got a 4 5/8 Super Blackhawk barrel and hoped it would more or less screw right in.  Turns out there's a collar on the Super Blackhawk barrel that needs to be turned off to get it to bear against the frame, and then of course the shoulder had to be cut back to get the barrel to index properly.  That only cost about .08 of barrel, so it wasn't really a problem.  (Of course, that means the ejector rod housing will need to be shortened, as well.)  I installed the barrel tonight and discovered we need to machine a slight flat along the bottom of the barrel for about an inch and a half to make room for the base pin.  I'll pull the barrel tomorrow and take it back to my machinist friend Monday to have that done.  So far it's been a fun project, and I'll have a REALLY cool gun when I'm done!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: Converting a 3 Screw .357 to .44 Special
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 09:50:12 PM »
Sounds like a cool one!!

MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 07:06:43 AM »
I've always thought it would be really cool, but reboring a cylinder always put it out of my reach.  The .44 Special cylinders Ruger makes now helped tremendously!  The problem is, now I wouldn't mind having on in .357, as well!  Love those Old Models!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:16:52 AM »

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 08:27:22 PM »
A crewchief Pard of mine used to get one of the machinists in Omaha to make Ruger cylinders out of stainless stock in the big calibers for Super Blackhawks.  He did the .475 mag & .454 Limbaugh.  They were 5-shot, though.

I'll send him an email and get the info on the machine shop.

Mustang
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline 4597

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 11:42:27 AM »
This project, as usual, is slightly more involved that I thought it would be.  I got a 4 5/8 Super Blackhawk barrel and hoped it would more or less screw right in.  Turns out there's a collar on the Super Blackhawk barrel that needs to be turned off to get it to bear against the frame, and then of course the shoulder had to be cut back to get the barrel to index properly.  That only cost about .08 of barrel, so it wasn't really a problem.  (Of course, that means the ejector rod housing will need to be shortened, as well.)  I installed the barrel tonight and discovered we need to machine a slight flat along the bottom of the barrel for about an inch and a half to make room for the base pin.  I'll pull the barrel tomorrow and take it back to my machinist friend Monday to have that done.  So far it's been a fun project, and I'll have a REALLY cool gun when I'm done!

Your trying to install a barrel off a N.M. onto an O.M. It can and has been done lot's of times. You should not have to move the hole for the ERH.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com