Author Topic: Main battle rifle info-- a question  (Read 2725 times)

Offline Sam Perfye

• Top Active Citizen
  • Al Weaver
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Main battle rifle info-- a question
« on: December 29, 2006, 09:28:23 PM »
Pards I need your help. I just traded for a 1891 Argentine mauser, now the trade don't bother me, it was straight across for used Ruger 22/45. What I need to know is where to get a stock and handguard for this piece. Overall condition is about 90-95% but the stock has been cut back to sporter length and the handguard is missing. I'd also like to know what handgun to pair up with this rifle(not GUN) for the muster. TIA for any and all info. Al
Raise the Black Flag and ride hard boys, Our cause is just and our enemies our many.

Offline Gripmaker

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Main battle rifle info-- a question
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 10:08:39 PM »
Check out  Gun Parts Corporation at 845-679-4867 (Customer Service).  They may have them in stock, not sure since my catalogue is a couple of years old.

You have gotten a deal if it is in good condition. I gave my Artillery carbine to my son a few years ago but now wish I had it back.  It is nothing more than the original .308 Winchester made up in 1891 in 7.65X53. Some will malign this comparison but most of them have never owned an Argentine or have never reloaded for them. Oh well.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 11:01:08 PM »
Gun Parts is the best place to go.  In addition, when in doubt, a single action revolver is always a good choice, and will be respected as a suitable side arm.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:09:37 AM »

Offline Sam Perfye

• Top Active Citizen
  • Al Weaver
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 09:24:40 AM »
Thanks for the info. I'll give Gun Parts a try after the holidays. Would a S&W Russian model be an appropriate sidearm? Trying to stay in the MBR guidelines and my limited research material on South American military is lacking. Al
Raise the Black Flag and ride hard boys, Our cause is just and our enemies our many.

Offline Bristow Kid

• I've got a touch of hangover beuracrate. Don't push me
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Matthew(Matt) Bohach
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 11:51:18 AM »
Al,

Try either
www.ssporters.com  or
www.e-gunparts.com

Or if you can't find anything there try this web site www.gunboards.com.  Its a military weapons collectors web site and message board.  They have helped me in finding stuff for my M38 Carcano.

Bristow Kid
Prayer Posse
SCORRS
NCOWS #2540
Grand Army of the Frontier #437
Department of the Missouri
PWDFR #149
RATS #233
SASS #68717
WARTHOG

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 01:13:06 PM »
I'm assuming you have a full-length rifle, rather than a carbine.  I have the stock and handguard (originally held on with twisted wire) for a carbine or short rifle.  It did NOT have the stacking "hook", but DID have the front sight with "ears" on the nosecap.  It's in decent shape and I believe I sttill have the sling swivels and buttplate but not the nosecap. Some previous ownder stipped the finish, and it is a orange-ish color, almost looks like maple.  The action and barrel now sports a full-length walnut Mannlicher stock, in the European style, with all the carving and stuff - sort of a 20-century Jaeger.  I've always liked the Mannlicher stock to those rifles with an exposed box magazine, ever since I saw Peter Lawford storm ashore in The Longert Day with his Mannlicher sporter - just too cool. 

If you or anyone else is looking for a stock like what I have, send me a PM.

Oh yeah - Mausers were sold all over the world, to so many countries, you could portray just about any nationality.  Even if it still has the Argentine crest on the receiver, most countries sold off their older arms when they re-armed with another weapon later.  Match up with a Webley, or some French or Belgian revolver, and you could portray a Boer, or an American or Spanish revolver and go with the South American, or Mexican revolutionary.  The 7.65x53mm Mauser originally was loaded with a .313" dia. bullet, but most reloaders today can't find this, and use the .311-.312" used for .303 Brit or 7.7mm Jap.  Even .308 can be used, but I wouldn't use it for targetshooting or hunting.  Never shot naked lead bullets in mine.  '91 Mausers are notorious for having soft receivers, allowing the locking recesses to be set back, so BE SURE TO HAVE THE HEADSPACE CHECKED!!  Mines's a little long, so I only shoot new cases that I first fire-form, and then neck-size only.  Factory ammo shows indications of case stretching and primer set-back, luckily I had no case separations.
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 01:32:06 PM »
Retraction time...
I dug my old Mauser stock out of the back of the closet, and found out, indeed, some previous owner cut down a rifle stock to fit a short rifle (22") barrelled action.  The stock is cut about 10" ahead of the barrel band spring, and since carbines didn't have band springs, I guess that settles that.  Whoever did it did a good of of "faking" it, other than leaving the spring in place.  As near as I can tell, the barrel had been untouched, so whoever did it started with a short rifle barrel.  Carbines had a 17.6" barrel, and infantry rifles had a 29.13" barrel.
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Offline Sam Perfye

• Top Active Citizen
  • Al Weaver
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 02:52:03 PM »
Guns, thanks for the offer. You were correct, mine has the long barrel. Whoever cut the stock did a nice job as far as finish but I'd have preferred the original configuration. The real shame is -all #'s match including the bolt, the wood is in very good shape, and the original sights are intact. Except for creast being ground off it's a nice solid rifle. Also from my reading it was introduced as a smokeless round. Should be able to pull the lead form surplus rounds(very cheap) replace the old powder with fresh and seat a lead bullet. Thanks to all for the help, Al.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 02:13:54 PM »
Just FYI, was browsing thru a recent issue of "Surplus Firearms" and found that the S&W #3 Russian was indeed an issue sidearm of the Argentine military.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com