Author Topic: Got a Codymatic  (Read 2285 times)

Offline Lawman Mays

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Got a Codymatic
« on: April 12, 2018, 02:27:26 PM »
 A few days ago, got my Uberti 1873 Rifle, slicked up and short stroked by Cody Conagher. Took it to the range and fired about 90 rounds. Action very smooth and I was hitting the target true to point of aim. Did not have to adjust the sights. But, I did get a few misfires. Having had this issue with another rifle, I know what to do. Tighten the strain screw a little bit, which I did, problem solved. I took the but stock off to see how tight or loose both the main spring screw and strain screw were, relative to each other. In researching this, I found a lively debate in the archives of the SASS Wire on this very issue from several years ago. What I found on my gun was the main spring screw had been backed out a few turns. I called Cody about this and he said that's the way it's supposed to be. So, you balance the main spring screw and the strain screw to get the power of the hammer strike that you need to avoid misfires. Cody explained it but too technical for me to understand, but something like if the main spring screw is tight and the main spring is tight against the tang, after repeated firing the vibrations over time will cause the screw threads to get stripped? Something like that.

In the archived debate, one side led by Nate Kiowa Jones took Cody's position. The other side was of the opinion that the main spring screw should be snugged up tight and the strain screw adjusted as needed.  However, I note that my Uberti 1866 Yellow Boy does not have a strain screw and the main spring screw is snugged up tight. So, apparently, either way will work, but I'm following what Cody told me cause I bought the gun from him. Any comments or thoughts?

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Got a Codymatic
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 03:16:07 PM »
Lawman,

I posted a reply over on the "Other" forum.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com