Author Topic: Removing lead fouling  (Read 5621 times)

Offline Will Pluggum

• Mesa, Arizona
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 57339, NRA
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Removing lead fouling
« on: April 06, 2004, 05:41:38 PM »
Whats the best product and /or method you've found for removing lead fouling from the barrel. ???
N.R.A. ....the big posse' is keepin an eye on them bushwackers for us....JOIN UP!   www.nra.org

Offline J.D.Cayhill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Removing lead fouling
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 08:11:20 PM »
I used to hate scrubbing lead, it seemed to take forever until I read about a Lewis Lead Remover. It is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and available from either Midway or Brownells. It is a cleaning rod with a "T" handle and a rubber plug that screws on the end. A piece of copper screen fits over the plug and pulls the lead out. First you clean the powder fouling out of your gun with a normal solvent of your choice, then soak the leaded area with either Kroil or Break Free. The penetrating oil after time helps get under the lead and the LLR cleans it right out. This method for me at least has greatly reduced the time for cleaning a badly leaded pistol. If you are talking just slight leading a copper brush will work just fine. Good luck.   
"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man."
SBSS #638
BOSS #44
STORM #142
RATS #89

Offline Marauder

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Marauder's Old West Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 08:54:16 AM »
I agree with J.D.

Tried lots of things but that is about the quickest and easiest. I even have an electronic tool for removing the lead that works great,, but don't take the time to set it up and let it work for 2 hours.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:08:17 PM »

Offline Shiloh Sharpie

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 01:00:37 PM »
I use the stuff that looks like steel shavings; a steel chore boy type product.  I bought it by mail from the colt45 shop or some such thing.  I believe brownell's and Midway sells the stuff.  In use a piece is wrapped around a brush and then scrubs the bore clean.  It is quicker to use than the Lews remover (I have the Hoppe version of the Lewis) and works quite well.  I only wish in writing this I could remember the name of the stuff.  I bought it some time ago and did not keep the original packaging. I can tell you it would also be a good pot scrubber as it comes in a big bunch.
Shiloh Sharpie
SASS 10477 Life
-------------------------------------------------------
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them.

Offline Shiloh Sharpie

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2004, 03:09:24 PM »
I wish to clarify my last post.  The stuff I refer to is Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner and I got it from the Big 45 Frontier Gun Shop  in Hill City SD 57745  Phone is (605) 574-4702

Works like a charm.
Shiloh Sharpie
SASS 10477 Life
-------------------------------------------------------
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them.

Offline Will Pluggum

• Mesa, Arizona
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 57339, NRA
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2004, 05:16:05 PM »
Thanks fellas... ;)
N.R.A. ....the big posse' is keepin an eye on them bushwackers for us....JOIN UP!   www.nra.org

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com