Special Interests - Groups & Societies > The Winchester Model 1876

Some Roosevelt 1876's

(1/3) > >>

Coal Creek Griff:
There has been some mention here regarding TR's '76 rifles.  I had a chance to see some at the visitor's center at Theodore Roosevelt National Park at Medora, ND a few months ago.  I took some pictures, but, of course, they are behind glass, so these are not quite suitable for a coffee table book.  Hopefully those here will find interest, though.  I've also had to reduce the file size, so the quality isn't super high.  Lastly, my phone camera didn't perfectly focus, so some detail is lost there too. 

There were three rifles on display.  To keep them straight, I'm going to try to make separate posts for each rifle.  The first two are nearly identical -- they are guns that TR brought with him hunting in Dakota Territory.  He gifted one to his later ranch manager Bill Merrifield.  He had a plaque added to the stock of that rifle.  It is in .50-95 caliber.

Coal Creek Griff:
The other rifle that TR took with him is a nearly identical .50-95.

Coal Creek Griff:
The third rifle on display is one that TR called his "ranch gun" and it is .40-60.  It is engraved.

Advertising:

Coal Creek Griff:
Here are the front sights of the first two rifles.  As a side note, Bill Merrifield was the ranch manager of TR's Chimney Butte ranch.  The brand was the Maltese Cross, which is on the presentation plaque.  The ranch was commonly referred to as the "Maltese Cross" ranch.

King Medallion:
Cool! Thanks for the pictures.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version