Author Topic: What's Your favorite Border Stamp?  (Read 2017 times)

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
What's Your favorite Border Stamp?
« on: March 01, 2021, 07:15:29 PM »
I have been working with basket weaves lately. It brings to mind what border stamp do you like to use? With a little imagination, almost any stamp can be used for a border but I was thinking about dedicated border stamps.

I have a handful but only a few I use, for the most part. Here are a couple examples of the ones I have. Starting on the top row, the first one on the left is a Hackbarth I picked up 10 or more years ago. That one is my favorite and the one I generally like for BW (like on the example in the photo above). The next one is one of the first ones Tandy made. It's my second favorite. You used to see that one on commercial BW LEO gear. I'm not sure what they use these days. The next one is another Tandy stamp. The rest are ones I have made. They have their uses but I don't gravitate to them unless I need something different. Of those, I have used the first one on the left in the second row more than the rest put together.

What stamp(s) do you prefer?

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
Re: What's Your favorite Border Stamp?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 09:39:08 PM »
Hi
I purchased a few of the Barry King Meander stamps and will attach pictures later.  I should have gotten some smaller meander stamps, but these will work and will be great for holsters.
Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 10:58:04 PM »
Hi
I purchased a few of the Barry King Meander stamps and will attach pictures later.  I should have gotten some smaller meander stamps, but these will work and will be great for holsters.
Later
Barry King meanders will last a lifetime. Good choice. Looking forward to your photos.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:00:16 AM »

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 691
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 07:40:43 AM »
I seem to use this one the most. I think it was one of the first stamps I got and prob. from Hobby Lobby but I don't remember exactly.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 11:01:25 AM »
That's a good stamp, Rube. I have one similar to it and it makes a clean border.

Offline The original bad bob

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 12:27:47 PM »
One of the things I really like about leather working is all my leather tools fit inside 2 cigar boxes  :D

I purchased a cheap 36 dollar leather working starter kit from amazon and because my leather working interests are limited to old west holsters, I modified the butterfly leather stamp and a medium sized camouflage tool to make a steep angled beveler and my favorite border stamp which is a big mules foot .. I’m too cheap to purchase Barry king leather stamps, but I did break down and but a set of 3 fine checkered background stamps made by japan for $19.95 because I didn’t like the background stamp that came with my leather working kit.
https://pasteboard.co/JQMOzxy.jpg

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 02:51:59 PM »
Hi Bob

Not this thread, but the Marshall mentioned that since I broke a Tandy $6.99 meander in two belts, and I will probably make another 10 or 20, I'm money ahead to buy Barry's.  It DOES look good too.  It also helps to get the good leather.  I just finished a holster using the Tandy tool and it looks like crap in a few places because the leather was soft.  It's also only 6 - 7 ounce leather, not 9-10 ounce like I really need. 
Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 06:30:01 PM »
One of the things I really like about leather working is all my leather tools fit inside 2 cigar boxes  :D
That will only last a few years... The things seem to multiply on their own. I'm on my 4th generation of tool boxes for leather working and ready for gen 5. ;D

MJS, congrats on the BK stamp. You'll use that one for the rest of your life.

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 10:06:25 AM »
Nice stamp, and well applied, we have so many great choices today on stamps as well as there makers..

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 11:16:14 AM »
https://pasteboard.co/JReEbF2.jpg

Hey Pards.. I made another border stamp yesterday for a Apache scout style holster I am working on..I took one of the stamps that came with my cheap leather working kit and dremel tooled it into the shape of an arrowhead .. the stamp I modified was a weird looking shield shape stamp that I could not see any old west holster use for, I also modified the butterfly stamp that came with the kit for the same reason.. I turned that into a very steep angled Barry King style beveler... it’s now the leather stamp I use Mose often.

https://pasteboard.co/JReCr4N.jpg
Marshal Will, these are all my leather tools so far.. You are right.. I could use another edge Grover, beveler etc etc etc... I have to resist the temptation of buying more tools because I still don’t know how to use most of the ones I already have.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2021, 11:43:15 AM »

Give it time, you're just not ate up with it yet :D
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2021, 05:29:35 PM »
Good work, Bob. I have a few modified stamps. Remember to file the number off so you don't think that's the original stamp and give that number to someone else some day. Right now it doesn't look like that can happen but some day when you have 200+ stamps (and several huge tool boxes), it can.

You have any photos of the impression the new arrowhead stamp makes?

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2021, 12:26:33 PM »
In general, this one here on the outside is my favorite border stamp.

However, for framing basketweaving, I like a plain camouflage stamp that is more subtle and has a good fade.

SASS #81,827

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2021, 01:50:41 PM »
Good work, Bob. I have a few modified stamps. Remember to file the number off so you don't think that's the original stamp and give that number to someone else some day. Right now it doesn't look like that can happen but some day when you have 200+ stamps (and several huge tool boxes), it can.

You have any photos of the impression the new arrowhead stamp makes?
https://pasteboard.co/JRytgrp.jpg

Here is the Apache Indian scout style  holster that I used the arrow shaped stamp to do the border on.. I used the stamp to form a diamond shape ... I still have to wet- form the mex loops.. it’s very tight

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2021, 06:02:43 PM »
Those are good stamps, Craig. That outside one is nice. I also like one with a good fade for BW.

Thanks, Bob. That stamp does the trick. The nice part about making your own or modifying one is that it is just what you want. That's one of the best uses for a stamp you don't really like or use much.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com