Author Topic: Reloading with triple 7  (Read 2093 times)

Offline Wooly Dan

• NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Reloading with triple 7
« on: February 12, 2021, 08:06:23 AM »
I have shot a lot of cap and ball pistol and percussion rifles but never reloaded cartridges with Triple 7.  I have a couple of friends helping me to day. Amazing what friends will do for a bowl of hot stew and cornbread after days of freezing weather.  I might as well be living in Sargent.   Can’t wait for June and make some smoke.  Everyone says It easy, but after you have done it thousands of times it is. Wish me luck.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: Reloading with triple 7
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 08:18:43 AM »
Okay, good luck!  Hopefully your friends told you to use 2F and not 3F in cartridges (that's what Hodgon says).  Also be sure to rinse the brass pretty quickly after shooting.

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • AKA: Broken Nose Scotty
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 11:33:49 AM »
Hey Wooly Dan,  I would sure come for stew and cornbread if we weren't so far apart! I have used 777 in cartridges to a limited extent,  mostly in muzzleloaders of the modern inline variety, where it was my favorite propellant until Blackhorn 209 arrived. I knew that Hodgdon warned against heavy compression, but didn't realize they only provide data for 2F.  Here is a link from Hodgdon's Reloading website:

https://hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/muzzleloading_manual_2008.pdf

Be careful drinking whiskey and reloading Dan (wink wink!)

B.N.Scotty
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:06:03 AM »

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 32291, NCOWS L170, GAF 74
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 07:16:22 PM »
My own experience, triple 7 too hot, my preference APP.
Brian

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 10:15:46 PM »
Triple 7 does seem to have more energy than APP,  probably why Hodgdon specifies 2F.  I really don't like  2F APP for cartridge reloading,  the granulation seems to be too large and irregular  for consistent  results. I have had good results with 3F APP in pistol cases.  Upon Whiskey Doubles recommendation I tried Blackhorn 209 in my 45 60 Craparrel, (which HATES B.P.)  with excellent results,  but that stuff is EXPENSIVE!   

B.N.Scotty
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 10:19:42 PM »
Though I rarely shoot subs, I also prefer APP when I do (I'm just finishing off a bottle I opened in 2013  ;D ).  I once loaded some .38's with 777 and .357's with 3F Goex and shot them together in my '73.  No noticeable difference in recoil.  If I could get no other powder, I would use a filler with 777 for handgun cartridges.  Hodgdon doesn't condone that, but many folks have done so.

edit: when asked, posse members said the Goex loads were more impressive.  ;D

Offline Wooly Dan

• NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 03:43:06 PM »
Not using Triple 7 going with app   To bad had cans of Triple 7. Have to buy the app   

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 09:30:46 AM »

:)  Memory Faded   ;)

Some Lustrum ago, Hodgdon had a disclaimer, 777 was not recommended for cartridge loading.  I don't remember if that was just for 3f but I suspect it may have been just applied to 3f (don't quote me though).  777 does produce higher pressure than either BP or APP and I don't care for it at all (my opine)

Pyrodex is a rusting agent that just happens to burn.  Not recommended for anything.   >:(

I shoot APP for everything.  Ira bee quite correct.  2f APP is entirely to inconsistent for reliable cartridge loading.  I do use copious amounts of 2f APP for All Brass shotgun loading.  Residue is easy clean-up.  For that application, 2f APP is a great choice.  For cartridge applications, I prefer and recommend 3f APP.  Easy Clean-up and 3f meters well thru a DILLON powder measure with only occasional bridging.  Very consistent loads and APP residue is VERY easy to clean.  Have I mentioned VERY easy clean-up??  Meant too.  ::)

Stay Safe Out There

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2021, 07:09:39 AM »
Pyrodex is a rusting agent that just happens to (Sometimes)burn.  Not recommended for anything.   >:(
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Bat 2919

• G Man / Bat Masterson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Sand Creek Raiders
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2021, 09:21:50 AM »

I've had my best accuracy results loading Pyrodex RS in 45-70's and never had a problem with it rusting my guns but I've always used it in drier climate's.  If anything APP has been a bigger problem for me, it created surface rust on my handguns even after they've been cleaned immediately after use. I've come back to them several days after shooting with APP and cleaning and found rust attempting to form on them.
Happy Trails

G Man / Bat Masterson
NRA Endowment
SASS #2919L
AZSA #11L
NCOWS #530
BOLD# 276
GAF #750

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2021, 11:02:05 AM »
  I've had my best accuracy results loading Pyrodex RS in 45-70's and never had a problem with it rusting my guns but I've always used it in drier climate's.  If anything APP has been a bigger problem for me, it created surface rust on my handguns even after they've been cleaned immediately after use. I've come back to them several days after shooting with APP and cleaning and found rust attempting to form on them.

I had the same problem with APP.  A few days after cleaning, I had rust forming on 3 guns back back last fall.  Maybe it was the humidity, not sure. I've used it before without a problem. 
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Wooly Dan

• NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2021, 11:28:04 AM »
Nothing easy.  I have found where to get BP so just may reloads like they did or my trail boss has worked great so just may stay with it, accurate and not worry about rush ? ?   

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2021, 12:31:42 PM »
Are you reloading for your Beautiful Trapdoor Dan?  I don't think there is a firearm that is easier to clean after shooting Blackpowder.  If you use a bullet with Blackpowder lube (VERY IMPORTANT)  the fouling comes out of the barrel very easily, and the breech face is very accessible to clean what little fouling is there. Sidelock, so no fouling in the action!  A little added work dealing with the cartridge cases,  but worth the effort.  If you insist on a Blackpowder substitute Blackhorn 209 may be worth trying,  it worked really well for me in a 45 60 Craperell that hates Real Black.  It is really expensive though, at about $45-$50 for 10 ounces!

B.N.Scotty

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2021, 06:31:09 AM »
Nothing easy.  I have found where to get BP so just may reloads like they did or my trail boss has worked great so just may stay with it, accurate and not worry about rush ? ?
WHERE DID YOU FIND BP?  :o

Offline Wooly Dan

• NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2021, 09:43:59 AM »
A friend offed to share what he has.   A very nice friend!  He did that so he has at least one person he knows he can beat when we get to your place.   

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2021, 10:17:07 AM »
A friend offed to share what he has.   A very nice friend!  He did that so he has at least one person he knows he can beat when we get to your place.
;D
I did find a place willing to let me place a backorder for what I need and they are saying that they should get it in a couple of weeks.

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2021, 04:04:56 PM »
Wow, I'm amazed that the US is having a shortage of black powder.  Civil war reenactors are declining in numbers, and with the 19, no hanging out in the battlefields popping caps anyway. 

What's up?

Later

Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2021, 06:13:29 AM »
Wow, I'm amazed that the US is having a shortage of black powder.  Civil war reenactors are declining in numbers, and with the 19, no hanging out in the battlefields popping caps anyway. 

What's up?

Later
>:( Yeah, I asked the guy from Powder Inc. that very question. He said he didn't know. He said that the last time he remembered there being a shortage of BP was when Goex had an explosion.

Panic?

Offline Wooly Dan

• NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2021, 07:33:17 AM »
Del Warren tells  me that they are having a hard time keeping inventory in the shop because people are buying cap and ball revolvers to shoot.   I have been shooting co2 guns to save on stuff and can shoot in basement.   Crazy  world.   I am feeling the pain of my Texas friends.  My son lives so close to gulf in Texas it’s amazing he doesn’t get wet.  He is doing well. Works for a company that has lots of equipment they moved one of their generators to a company house and are getting along.  Not so good for lots of others.   Prayers your way Texas friends.

Offline Bat 2919

• G Man / Bat Masterson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Sand Creek Raiders
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2021, 08:29:59 PM »
Got this sales e mail today from Buffalo Arms:

We have Black Powder back in stock!!!
208 263-6953
Please be patient with our web site,
it should be functioning properly soon.
208 263-6953

I went to the website and it appears to be working now, shows several BP brands as "in stock'

https://www.buffaloarms.com/black-powder.html
Happy Trails

G Man / Bat Masterson
NRA Endowment
SASS #2919L
AZSA #11L
NCOWS #530
BOLD# 276
GAF #750

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com