Author Topic: Armi Jaeger SAA...  (Read 1816 times)

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1637
Armi Jaeger SAA...
« on: October 15, 2020, 06:49:32 PM »
      Greetings!

Thought you folks might like to see an old EMF Co. Inc. "Dakota" SAA Replica, .32-20 cartridge. Date Code [AL] / 1983.
Acquired lightly used in the mid 80's. In the original box reside the manual, the brass backstrap & triggerguard, and "Safety"
Cylinder Pin; if I recollect correct, the replacement Cylinder Pin is an A.Uberti. Soon after purchase, I bought the replacement
steel backstrap & triggerguard from EMF, and carefully draw filed them to fit the frame.
   I don't recall how many Ideal #311316 and #3118 cast bullets over 4.5 grains of Unique I've fired out of this revolver;
rather accurate, in spite of the .317" chamber throat. "WW / Range Scrap" shoots very well.
   I've been playing with the idea of getting an A.Uberti SAA with a 7.5" barrel. The cartridge does have some idiosyncrasies,
as pointed out by Ken Waters and others; nonetheless, it's a real performer with lead bullets, as well as the .32H&RM
jacketed bullets available. The little Hornady #3205(?) 85gr JHP was very accurate with Hercules/Alliant 2400 Powder.

M.T.M.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: Armi Jaeger SAA...
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 08:48:34 PM »
When I was about 10 years old, I shot my Dads S&W Hand Ejector in 32-20 for the first time.
I had shot his 22 H&R revolver since maybe 8 or so.... but

The 32-20 to that 10 year old,  was a Big caliber, heady grown up mans gun... :)

I've like that cartridge ever since, Dad's S&W  is mine now, and I have a Colt , and Uberti SAA as well as a JM Marlin Classic Rifle
and an original 1873 Winchester Rifle in 32-20.... I think it safe to say it is my favorite cartridge .
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1637
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 11:08:08 PM »
       Greetings, Major2!

A truly dandy cartridge! I wish that I'd had the good sense to grab one of the Marlin 1894 Classic
rifles when the grabbing would've been much cheaper than now!

M.T.M.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:12:01 AM »

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 11:15:39 AM »
I too have a Dakota Jaeger. I bought it new - date code AM, 1984.  Mine's in .44-40 and came with the steel backstrap.  Shortly after I got it, I swapped out the base pin for a real Colt pin. I also put a set of Wolff springs in it about 20 years ago.  Its a great shooter, hits right to point of aim with a full load of 3F black and a 427098 bullet.  The leather rig I ordered from El Paso Saddlery in the mid-1980s.

"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 12:27:57 PM »
That is fine looking rig,  Chief
Looks vintage and so at home to my eye

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 02:48:04 PM »
I now have a couple of 32-20s.  I think this is my third try with 32-20s, but so far I just can't understand the attraction of the cartridge.  At least in a handgun, it seems the utility of it can be matched by the 38 Special, without the headaches of crumpled case necks or finding brass.  What am I missing?
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2020, 03:51:59 PM »
"What am I missing?"

A heavy dose of nostalgia ;D, and a case of bourbon. :D

I also have a couple of SAA Colts in 32-20 and a Colt double action, the nostalgia factor is that my first Winchester, a 92, was chambered in 32. Wish I still had it. :(

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2020, 10:02:35 PM »
Maybe that's it--I lack nostalgia for the cartridge. 

Mtmarfield, I've got one of the Cimarron's w/ 7 1/2" barrel.  Made before they started messing with the hammer, it is a nice little piece--I don't think you'll go wrong with one, if that is what you want.  But your Jager (and mine!) have better sights! 
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2020, 10:45:52 PM »
nostalgia...that's it for me,