Author Topic: Powder coating, anyone .... ?  (Read 2490 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Powder coating, anyone .... ?
« on: April 06, 2020, 02:41:36 PM »
I'm getting into PC bullets. Bought the toaster oven for cheap at Wal*Mart and got some coloured powders coming in the mail.

About the only advantage I can see they have over greasers is that they won't smoke in an indoor range environment. Still gotta push 'em thru' a sizer.

Got some tips for a rooky 'sides don't breath the fumes and do it outside?   ???

In "social isolation", of course.  ;)
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Powder coating, anyone .... ?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 08:34:59 PM »
Did I make a 'fox paw' by mentioning "powder coating"?

I can't be the only one experimenting with it ....  :-\
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 08:56:30 PM »
I use some ..but I buy them....not really interested doing it myself
when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:29:28 AM »

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 10:16:56 PM »
Son uses them in his Spencer (45colt) boughten ones - black colour - he pan lubes his BP lube over top and it seems to work ok - black ones I can handle
Nother friend uses bright blue ones in a 32/20 martini at our BP range - hes a good shot and it works (I think he a duplex loader) - bright blue is pushing it for me
Somewhere else I saw Lipstick red ones - yikes!!! - the mental side of that is too much for this ole cowboy blackpowder nut.........................

Offline Dirty Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2020, 08:03:57 AM »
After 60 years of doing it the old way successfully  and still experimenting I'm not gonna change. Don't need to add any more complexity that to me is a very enjoyable pastime. Is powder coating SASS approved?  ;D
NRA Life, CSSA, RCA,

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 08:34:54 AM »
I suppose I should qualify my post...

I'm not using Hi-Tech coated for CAS 

These are 30'06 - 165 grain over Trail Boss

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2020, 10:56:08 AM »
 did I hit a nerve ?  :-\

I realize this is CAS reloading  :P   I delete my post as  non sequitur

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2020, 11:25:50 AM »
Well, somebody is buying and using them or the bullet makers wouldn't be offering them.

As for SASS approval - why wouldn't they? On top of all the other "non-Cowboy" stuff and guns used in CAS, PC bullets would fit right in.

Neon Pink or Ruby Red wimp .45 Colt loads would make a perfect statement .....  ::)

Offline Dirty Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2020, 03:32:22 PM »
My apologies, I thought it was an innocent question ?

NRA Life, CSSA, RCA,

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2020, 04:48:05 PM »
It was, as was my response ....  ;)

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2020, 03:45:45 AM »
did I hit a nerve ?  :-\

I realize this is CAS reloading  :P   I delete my post as  non sequitur

no mate just havin a bit of fun here - its all good

Offline Dirty Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2020, 05:53:29 AM »
So, I am curious if fumes from burnt powder coated bullet are toxic at all on indoor ranges? Does anyone know? What is powder coat made from?
NRA Life, CSSA, RCA,

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2020, 11:58:50 AM »
Good question !!!!

Apparently some powders are toxic or have a toxic compound in their make up. You are advised to not breathe the dust or handle the bullets with bare hands when placing them on oven trays and do the 'baking' outdoors or in a well ventilated area as you would bullet casting. I know people who won't cast bullets or even shoot indoors for fear of lead contamination.

The compound has a four letter abbreviation which escapes me at the moment. The industrial application requires spraying on of the powder utilizing a mask.

If anything would deter me from further experimentation with powder coating , it would be the associated health hazards. I am going to check further into it ......

Offline Dirty Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2020, 01:46:17 PM »
Thanks PJ, I shoot indoors through the winter, just too cold even in SW Ontario for outdoor pistol. I'm aware of the hazards associated with that and have elevated lead levels from it.

Happy Easter!
NRA Life, CSSA, RCA,

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2020, 01:55:26 PM »
First off - HAPPY EASTER !!!  A significant day for those of us that subscribe to the Christian persuasion.

OK - I checked into it .....

The four letter acronym I couldn't remember is TGIC - triglycidyl isocyanurate, a category 2 mutagen. Basically a powdered plastic that can protect anything it is sprayed on and baked to melt. Widely used to protect many things in our homes from tools to bike frames.

Some commercial powders have more or less of the compound. You have to ask, I guess.

Before you go off screaming, it is not any more hazardous than a lot of other compounds, sprays and chemicals we all probably use or have used regularly. I've got a dozen or so containers of Hoppes No. 9, Ballistol, LPS 3, WD40, brake cleaner, carb cleaner, spray oils, etc., etc. on my work bench at any given time.

You are advised not to handle coated bullets with bare hands or breathe any fumes emitting from the bake oven. If you spray the bullets, it must be done outdoors or in a well ventilated area as you would if spray painting.

I wear rubber gloves when handling the bullets and I've never detected any fumes coming from the oven.

I've been casting and sizing lead bullets for longer than I care to remember without wearing gloves or a respirator and I think I'm relatively 'normal' .....  :P But then, if I wasn't, how would I know ...  ???

So, I think there is no need for undue concerns about powder coating IF proper precautions are observed ....  ;D

Which begs the question - why bother, since you still have to size coated bullets? Good question. One advantage is that you no longer need to use semi-solid lubes of any kind in your sizer and there are no smoky fumes when shooting indoors.

Users claim no barrel leading when driving coated lead bullets at faster than normal velocity, negating the use of gas checks. Of course, for the low velocities of CAS loads, none of this makes a compelling case for powder coating.

The idea of colour coated/colour coded bullets either appeals to you or not ....  ;)

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2020, 07:49:07 PM »
Bout ready to jump into that pond.  Got the powder in the mail today.  Next step trip to walmart or good will looking for a convection counter top toaster or pizza oven.  Stop at Ace on the way home to get 1/8 or 1/4 inch hardware cloth to make the basket.
Watching U tube the process goes like this:
Wearing rubber gloves or nitrile
Shake a small amount of powder and the bullets in a plastic container like cool whip or cottage cheese come in.
when coated to your liking dump into hardware cloth basket sized to oven that is sitting on a large piece of cardboard that has a crease in center.
Shake basket a bit to get excess powder off.
Bake in oven some claim 400 degrees for 20 min another guy says 250 for 12 works just as good. Right in the basket works some dump bullets in to a baking tray lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking sheet
While baking pick up cardboard and dump powder back into the cool whip container.  Tapping gently with a spatula or cake server.
When done baking dump bullets into container of water tap gently on basket with spatula to dislodge any stuck bullets
Separate by hand any bullets stuck to one another.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2020, 09:58:35 AM »

;D
I was going to leap in and Opine "Lipstick" bullets were some Off Putting to my feeble mind.  Then I got to thinking, perhaps when shooting in my Steampunk Regalia, Neon Pink or Ruby Red could actually be some fun!! 

Not to fear.  I don't cast my own bullets and haven't for several Lustrum so the prospect of Powder Coating   8)  is not right up there on my "too do" list.  Food for thought though   ::)

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2020, 10:04:02 AM »
same thing , I don't cast anymore ( I did many eon ago , 54 Sharps ) but the boat sailed 25 Sol circulations  or so ago.

Offline Snake Oil

• Snake Oil
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A day shooting is good for what ails ya!
  • NCOWS #: L-198
  • GAF #: 889
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2021, 12:33:16 PM »
Resurrecting...

I am about to jump into pc... I created an awesome lube recipe for pan luring, but the mess of extra wax everywhere made me crazy...

Powder coating is supposed to be cleaner, I hope so! Plus all the colors... giddy!
A day shooting is good for what ails ya!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com