Author Topic: Rossi interarms model 65 in 44-40  (Read 5744 times)

Offline olered

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rossi interarms model 65 in 44-40
« on: July 13, 2015, 03:29:42 PM »
LGS has a used one in very good condition at a reasonable price. They have it tagged as a 92. I have searched the web and not found much. Guess that's why the shop had "Discontinued" on the tag. Anyone have one ? Any insight on what their past problem history might be? Not going to be a match rifle but would be fun to  shoot.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Rossi interarms model 65 in 44-40
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 05:45:07 PM »
Rossi Model 65 is a copy of the Winchester M1892. I have one in .44-40 and a "Puma", (the older manufacture) in .44 Mangle-em. Both are good, solid carbines. I've had these for at least 20 years, and they suit me fine. I have NOT had anything professional done to them, but did have to smooth them up a little, just polishing the locking lugs and the mating front surfaces of the breechblock. The only other thing that had to be done was to lighten the ejector spring in each rifle. I just cut about 1-1/2 turns off the spring on each rifle, then ground the cut end flat and compressed it in a bench vise just a bit. Oh, I did have to smooth the right side of the extractor notch so the ejected shells wouldn't catch as they flew out. I know, I know, the toggle-link rifle shooters claim their actions are faster, and the '92 is a bit OAL sensitive, but once you get the right cartridge length (a 200 gr RNFP should be fine, depending on the location of the crimp groove). IMHO, the OAL in the '92 is less critical than on a '6 or '73.  There should be no crossbolt or tang safties, just the half-cock notch like on the original. My understanding is these were made on the original M1892 tooling Rossi bought from Winchester. Oh, and the groove diameter on the barrels of both rifles is .429".
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com