Author Topic: The new GAF Membership medal  (Read 21932 times)

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
Re: The new GAF Membership medal
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2008, 01:59:21 PM »
Now I need to get the little do-dads to put on medal - I think I have two awards but not sure.

Isn't there a database for getting awards from GAF?

PR

Unfortunately, since the GAF is without an Adjutant to take care of such duties, our database is not up to date.

Secondly, during the time our website was down several applications for awards were not received.

All I can say at this point is to resubmit for such awards as you believe you have earned, and then go ahead and wear them (the honor system is in effect).

All that said, I could surely use an Adjutant to take over keeping the enlistments and awards up to date. 

US Scout
GAF, Commanding

Offline Bull Schmitt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2008, 08:08:03 PM »
Gen Scout

What is the pay grade for your Adjutant? ;D

Col Bull
Bvt Col Bull Schmitt
GAF Adjutant General
GAF Commander Department of the Atlantic
GAF Webmaster
SCORRS President & Webmaster
SASS #9535, SCORRS, GAF, NRA

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2008, 08:37:45 PM »
Col. Bull,

The pay would be twice what you are receiving now! ::) ;D ;D  Quite an improvement. :o ;)
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 09:07:11 PM »

Offline Captain Lee Bishop

• Rough Rider, 1st US Cav (USV)
  • Top Active Citizen
  • ..on your order, Colonel Roosevelt!
    • Thunderbolt Productions
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2008, 11:47:13 PM »
Secondly, during the time our website was down several applications for awards were not received.
I wondered about that... But as I think I'm the only GAF member anywhere I shoot, I don't get hung up on awards anyway. Even today, I was at clothing sales at Ft Lewis and looked at the "V" devices and thought of getting one for a GAF medal if I ever got one due to my active duty service then said, "nahhhhh..." and left without them...

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2008, 12:08:39 AM »
My order has been processed!   ;D
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2008, 10:24:10 AM »
What is the pay grade for your Adjutant? ;D
Col Bull

The Adjustant's postiion carries the rank of Brevet Lieutenant Colonel, so his pay is less than your pay as a Department Commander with the rank of Brevet Colonel.

Since a Brevet Colonel gets nothing, a Brevet Lieutenant Colonel would get slightly less than nothing.  ::)

US Scout
GAF, Commanding

Offline Bull Schmitt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2008, 02:49:39 PM »
This looks like a golden opportunity for someone to become an officer and a gentleman by just volunteering!!
Bvt Col Bull Schmitt
GAF Adjutant General
GAF Webmaster

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2008, 11:21:18 AM »

I recieved my new "2nd Edition" of the GAF Medal from Prairie .

It compares very favorably with the 1st edition medal from Starpacker, but with a few differences.

The new medal uses a silver toned metal for the clasp and star, as opposed to the gold colored metal used in the first medal.  Personally I find the silver metal very attractive as I prefer silver to gold, but that is me. 

The new medal uses a similar though not the same exact ribbon.  However, the new ribbon is slightly wider so that it fits within the clasp much better than on the first medal.  This second ribbon is also slightly longer (about 1/2 inch) than on our first medal.  After I see how it looks on my uniform, I'll consider whether or I want shorten it or not. 

On the whole, I'm very pleased with the new GAF Medal.  It is of high quality and given that it is less than half the price of the Starpacker produced medal provides us with an attractive yet affordable medal.

I also got a pair of the collar tabs and hat wreath with the intention of putting together something similar to that worn by Bvt Col Pitspitr using an old CW sack coat in my possession.

I'm in the process of drafting up our few policies regarding uniforms and awards, and these will be posted on the GAF website once we get it back into operation.  As we stated earlier, either version of the GAF Medal is authorized for wear, however only one version may be worn at a time.

US Scout
GAF, Commanding

Offline Captain Lee Bishop

• Rough Rider, 1st US Cav (USV)
  • Top Active Citizen
  • ..on your order, Colonel Roosevelt!
    • Thunderbolt Productions
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2008, 08:12:13 PM »
Has anyone been cornered about wearing what someone thinks might be a Medal of Honor? I could easily see someone unfamiliar with the GAF medal thinking maybe it's a 19th century MoH. Ha this happened to anyone so far?

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2008, 08:27:36 AM »
Not to me it hasn't.

I have been asked many times what the medal is and this provides me with an excellent opportunity to talk about the GAF.  I will say the medal generates considerable interest.

I explain that the GAF medal is based on medals worn by post-CW veteran organizations, notably that of the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR). 

There is a similarity, as can be seen, but easily explained. The clasp is different; the ribbon, while based on the national colors, is not the same; the eagle grasps a cannon, ours a shield; and within the star our emblems representing the infantry, artillery and cavalry, and the Marines and Navy.  In short, it resembles the Medal of Honor only superficially. 

For the most part, I've not been surprised at the lack of knowledge I've encountered on the 19th century military to include the post-CW veteran's organizations or awards.  I don't find this unusual as I can't speak to particulars on Wyatt Earp and other lawmen, nor their opposites, as I've little interest in the subject.  However, taking a minute or two to explain the GAF and that we use a medal to recognize our members instead of a lawman's badge has never resulted in anything less than polite interest and sometimes in a more positive interest to become a member.

US Scout
GAF, Commanding

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2008, 04:05:01 PM »
Sir, got my package today - since I had been out on a family expedition down to the quaint town of Williamsburg, VA.

They are great - hoping to be in full regalia first weekend in Feb.  May even get to shoot my new 1872 44russian OT's.

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Offline Bull Schmitt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2008, 09:48:59 PM »
If any of you who are getting the new medals could take a picture for the web site I would appreciate it. The one I have is not as sharp at the picture of the original medal (see web site). I don't know when I will get access to the site  but I am preparing updates in thr meantime.

Col Bull
Bvt Col Bull Schmitt
GAF Adjutant General
GAF Webmaster

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2008, 09:02:48 AM »
I received my medal Friday, and am very pleased with it.  Yes, the ribbon on mine has been corrected, so that the stars are on the wearer's right ("inboard").  After reading US Scouts's post, I'm somewhat confused - my medal is a bronze color overall; it has no white metal features anywhere on it. The only critical thing I can remark about the workmanship is the pin clasp on the back of the top bar is crooked, and sticks up benind the bar a little - nothing a little file work won't correct.  Other than that, it is very impressive.
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2008, 11:05:21 AM »
After reading US Scouts's post, I'm somewhat confused - my medal is a bronze color overall; it has no white metal features anywhere on it.

Me too.  ::) I haven't received mine yet as I've ordered an engraved one, but the ones I inspected were "yellow" metal as well. The only thing I can think of is that the day I saw the first of the new batch, Steffan mentioned that it would take several days for the polishing. Some yellow metals when highly polished can appear somewhat white for a while until they oxidize slightly. I don't know if this is the case but it's the only thing I can think of.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2008, 04:02:58 PM »
When I first examined the medal by itself, I thought it was of a light yellow bronze (and it may well be) and I thought it an excellent reproduction of the original medal.  However, when I compared it to the original there is a distinct difference in the metal color.  The old medal appears to be of yellow brass or a very yellow bronze (not unlike a polished brass Napolean). 

Unless I was sent a medal cast in a totally different metal from those made for the rest of the GAF (and I know of no reason why that would happen) , then the one I have appears to be white bronze with a slight yellowish cast to it.  Personally, I like it - but I prefer silver metals to gold.

My point was that the new and older GAF medals should not be worn together.  Only one should be worn.

I'll try and get a photo of both side by side posted by the weekend.

US Scout
GAF, Commanding

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2008, 04:16:34 PM »
It is deffinately a different metal. Steff used a more yellow metal when casting the prototypes to try to match the color of the originals, but couldn't get it to fill the moulds correctly. By switching the metal he was better able to get a complete fill.

Did you end up with an engraved one by any chance? I'm looking forward to seeing what he does for engraving. Mine is to have my brevet, my alias, and membership number and the rest of the area is to be covered in a floral pattern.

Offline Marshal J.D.Lightning

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2008, 08:00:03 PM »
I hope this emule finds all my GAF Brothers well !

Could someone please send me the email address for Steff as I sent an email to the email adress that was on the GAF hatbadge post, 2-3 weeks ago asking for a price of the hat badge & the new medal & the postage cost to here in Australia but still have not got an answer, I just want to make sure that he got my first email.

Thanks again. Take care & all the best from Australia.

Lightning
Marshal J.D.Lightning
Provost Marshal. US Cavalry
GAF #422
BOLD #720
BOSS #82
RATS #507
SASA #2528

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2008, 06:05:14 AM »
I know he said he got an order from Australia. I'm not sure what the hold up would be concerning the late reply. Bull Schmidt has the GAF web site back up and if you go to the Awards page it has the address and the pricing on it.

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 32291, NCOWS L170, GAF 74
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2008, 04:25:20 PM »
I got mine today, looks great.

Dusty

Offline Frank Dalton

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2008, 07:51:46 PM »
I have submitted my order for the membership medal, so now I will sit back and wait for it's arrival!
Frank Dalton
US Deputy Marshal
Indian Territory
SASS# 54716L
USFA CSS# 59
GAF# 360
STORM# 268
Perge Scelus Mihi Diem Perficias

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com