Author Topic: Colt style front sights  (Read 1740 times)

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
Colt style front sights
« on: May 09, 2019, 04:38:54 PM »
I became involved on another site about possible availability of taller front sights on Colt style Open Tops with round barrels. This led to information that others might find useful. I found on Taylors website that Uberti Walker, Dragoon, 60 Army, and 61 Navy all carry the same part number but the same style blade sight on the cartridge Open Tops carried a different part number.  I ordered a couple each and this is the best I could measure:
Walker base thickness--.119
Open Top     thickness--.119
Walker length--.430
Open Top      --.425
Walker height--.200
Open Top      --.260
So the two sights are virtually identical except for the .060 taller cartridge Open Top. The difference is very apparent upon visual inspection. Sorry I can't post pictures. The whole point of the original discussion was to obtain a taller front sight of the same style to account for those percussion guns that shoot annoyingly high. The other difference was material. Factory Ubertis carry a brass blade but the replacements appeared to be steel but won't attract a magnet. Hope this is helpful to those who want a little more front sight but don't want to cut dovetails, etc.
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Colt style front sights
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 04:46:35 PM »
Good info, thanks.

If not brass and not steel, maybe they're German Silver?

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 06:19:03 PM »

Pertaining specifically to the Uberti built Open Top ..... WhenI was still very much a Practicing Gun Plumber, I worked on a very LARGE number of Open Tops.  Not at all unusual for an Open Top to spit out its front sight.  I ordered replacements from VTI and ALL the replacement sights were German Silver.  Not brass nor steel.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:24:31 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com