Author Topic: New Rifle and Revolver!  (Read 1776 times)

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Rifle and Revolver!
« on: March 13, 2020, 12:27:35 PM »
During the past year I've been selling off a few firearms to help support other hobbies and some travel. I vowed, at 67 years old, I'd stop buying firearms. Most of the guns I sold I never fired!
Out of all the guns I sold, I only regret selling one of them.....A Ruger Blackhawk, 3-Screw, Unconverted, 4.5" barrel in 41 Magnum......Here in Massachusetts a handgun must have been in the state before 1998 for it to be grandfathered, otherwise it can not be transferred in from another state and sold to a Massachusetts resident. (I hate living here but grandkids has my wife firmly anchored...)

So months ago I start looking for another BH/3screw/41Mag.......Like finding a unicorn here in MA!

Wednesday I sold a very nice Remington 11-87 to a fellow and did the FFL transfer at a gun shop that was some distance from my house, but equal distance for both of us to drive. This gun shop had two 3-screw, unconverted Ruger BHs. But both in 38/357 (although one had the extra 9mm cylinder!) ....But I wanted a 41 Magnum...

We left that shop and went two miles to another shop in the area...Just to look around. Sure enough, way in the back of the gun case was a 4.5" Ruger BH, 3-screw.....I couldn't see the caliber, but the bore was easily seen to not be 38 cal. I had him pull it out and nearly pissed myself!!! It was Identical to the one I let get away. He wanted $700....I had an envelope with $600 in it from the sale of the shotgun a few minutes before....I threw the envelope on the counter and said it was all the $$ I had on me. He accepted my offer! And I'm a VERY happy camper!

But it doesn't end here.....

A few weeks ago, on another forum I frequent, a fellow was selling a Lyman Sharps Model 1878 in 30-30 caliber. These are actually Sharps 1877 rifles, but are called 1878 to celebrate the 140th anniversary of Lyman Gun Sight Company. They limited production to 140 rifles. The price was VERY fair and included brass, bullets, dies.....It was listed for a couple weeks. I couldn't believe it didn't sell. On Saturday morning, while drinking coffee and reading that forum, I saw he relisted it. I thought he had finally sold it. I emailed him and send funds immediately.
 A few days later it showed up......I'm totally in love!  Now I have a 1859, 1863, 1874, 1875 and 1877 Sharps rifles in the rack! Can't wait to take it deer hunting!

Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
Re: New Rifle and Revolver!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 02:49:22 PM »
My Good Roy -

a GREAT stroke of luck for you!
I am actually amazed at the condition, from your photos both look virtually new!
is there ANY wear on the Ruger?

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 02:55:58 PM »
Hi Prof!

Yes, the Ruger has a few "safe Marks" but appears not holstered and not shot much.

The Lyman rifle is basically new. Bought just a couple years ago and not shot much. Perfect condition.
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:36:43 PM »

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2020, 08:27:27 AM »
I took that Lyman 1878 to the range yesterday........Once again I hate Lyman tang sights. No windage adjustment, no elevation clicks or other markings. Very hard to adjust accurately. Had a hard time even getting on paper.

Pulled that sight off and installed a far superior Marbles.....Windage adjustment, click stop elevation.....With a Lee Shaver "Hadley" adjustable iris eye cupMore Bettah!

Going back today for more testing......

Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 05:03:47 AM »
My Good Roy -

Looking forward to the range report on that rifle!

You can always put the Lyman sight up on the classifieds here... I am sure someone here (possibly me) may take it off your hands :-)

As an aside, I  fell clicked on over to your website and fell down the rabbit hole - interesting stuff! have you tried running used fry oil
in your diesel heater? 

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 07:04:23 AM »
RANGE REPORT.... The lead bullets that came with the rifle keyhole at lower velocity. Might be a bore size issue. With enough powder they expand enough to be marginally accurate and no key holing.....3-5" at 50 yds

Jacketed bullets shoot great! An inch +/- at 50 yds and hitting 12" X 12" steel plate at 200 yds consistently......Very pleased!

I ordered some gas check bullets to experiment with and will cast some oversize bullets to try.....

It has potential!

Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline ccarley

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 02:45:53 PM »
Very nice, I like the combo.  Seems like a nice pair to carry there. 

Had a chance to shoot the revolver yet?  I'm sure that'll be shooting just like the one you let get away  ;)

Clay

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com