Author Topic: Missing a Remington  (Read 4221 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Missing a Remington
« on: October 10, 2021, 01:30:43 PM »
Well, I have been using a Schofield and a either a Kirst 1860 Saber River Konversion or 1872 Open Top as my main match pair, but hvae been missing having a Remmie.  I already have a Kirst Pale Rider and ejector rod, so I have an 1858 Pietta on back order (due in end of next week). 

Probably going to eventually mill out a loading notch in the solid Pale Rider recoil plate, and make it gate-less like the originals.  A 5 shot like the original .46 Rimfires is correct.  Shooting Schofield would have been feasible back then with a modified hammer.  .46 rimfire was basically a rimfire .45 Schfield.  The .46 RF case was only .02" (two hundredths) of an inch larger, and the bullet was .456 instead of the .454 of the Schofields.

The Schofield and the Kirst will still be my main guns, but the Remmie will be my back-up main match pistol.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Missing a Remington
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2021, 12:07:27 PM »
My Pale Rider NMA with my other Kirst pistols

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2021, 10:12:10 AM »
Decided against modifying the Pale Rider recoil plate.  Instead ordered the gated ring separately from Old South Firearms fo $200.  Going to do the full on gated conversion.  They are just plain cool.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:18:03 PM »

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 08:33:29 PM »
Well, I cut the loading channel in the recoil shield of my Pietta NMA (1858). DANG!  This had the hardest steel of any of the Piettas I have Kirst Konverted!  Holy Cow, I went through 8 Dremel drums - 6 coarse and one fine, instead of the 4+1 I usually use.  Covered the areas I wanted to protect with Gorilla tape, but still had two small buggered areas from the drum jumping more than normal.  Oh well, I got it done.  Now I need some faux-ivory grips.

I installed a Kirst ejector rod assembly, but left the rammer installed.  Just as on some original NMA conversions I have seen with the rammer left on, as it would have allowed shifting back to a percussion cylinder in a pinch, where the .46 Rimfire ammo was not available in the far reaches of the frontier.

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 10:58:19 AM »
Looks good! I'm surprised Walt doesn't offer an ejector that has a tab that's is caught by the rammer the way some originals were. Love the cartridge box, too.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 11:34:49 AM »
I have searched high and low, and can not find a picture of what an original .46 rimfire box looks like.  I did find the picture of the .46 short bullet from the box of Winchester (because of the H head stamp in the picture), so I use red paper like 1870s Winchester pistol cartridge boxes used on their labels, and formatted the rest like a Winchester cartridge box in another pistol caliber.

From "Cartridges of the World", I got the original factory loads for .46 rimfire.  Remington loaded a 227 grain bullet over 20 grains of powder with a grease wad, and Winchester loaded a 230 grain bullet over 26 grains of powder.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 12:08:57 PM »
Looks good! I'm surprised Walt doesn't offer an ejector that has a tab that's is caught by the rammer the way some originals were. Love the cartridge box, too.

The one that Uberti makes like that does not have a spring.  I have handled them and think a spring-loaded ejector rod like the Kirst that doesn't need the rammer to be unlatched each time is a lot more handy.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 12:35:45 PM »
I had an Uberti factory NMA conversion for a bit, and it was OK, but seemed like it was significantly bigger that the percussion.  I know it is supposed to be 10% bigger to accommodate a 6 shot .45 Colt  cylinder, but to me it seemed even bigger than that!

I have four percussion Pieta that I Kirst Konverted.  I think I enjoy them more, because I am the one who really created them.  My two 1860s (8" & 3") have replaced everything else as main match pistols.  They are uber-cool, and totally in character with my 1869 Persona, who had private .46 rimfire long cylinder conversions to go with his 1860 Henry.  The .46 caliber (with a .456" bullet) conversions were far more accurate than the LCC that used .44 Rimfire, as that .438/.440" diameter bullet would bounce down the .454/456" bore of the Colt 1860s and Remington NMA.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2022, 12:51:28 PM »
I always believed the barrels were sleeved on the 44 rimfire conversions? It would be cool if they werent lol. Get her done!  ;D

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2022, 01:02:06 PM »
From what research I did for my conversion articles, they were not lined, at least in most cases, hence poor accuracy from the .44s.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2022, 06:52:12 PM »
The one that Uberti makes like that does not have a spring.  I have handled them and think a spring-loaded ejector rod like the Kirst that doesn't need the rammer to be unlatched each time is a lot more handy.
I was just thinking of what to do with that unattractive tab sticking down. Plus it makes properly fitting a holster difficult.

I have searched high and low, and can not find a picture of what an original .46 rimfire box looks like.  I did find the picture of the .46 short bullet from the box of Winchester (because of the H head stamp in the picture), so I use red paper like 1870s Winchester pistol cartridge boxes used on their labels, and formatted the rest like a Winchester cartridge box in another pistol caliber.

From "Cartridges of the World", I got the original factory loads for .46 rimfire.  Remington loaded a 227 grain bullet over 20 grains of powder with a grease wad, and Winchester loaded a 230 grain bullet over 26 grains of powder.
It does look good. With no original to copy, you made a believable label.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2022, 08:06:25 PM »
I was just thinking of what to do with that unattractive tab sticking down. Plus it makes properly fitting a holster difficult....

Oh yeah, definitely agree.  But then TL don't care about no holster fit - he uses big ol' flap holsters!  :)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2022, 08:21:43 PM »
LOL! Actually It fits in a Oklahoma Leather "Slim Jim" very nicely!

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2022, 09:37:23 PM »
These may be useful:
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2022, 09:38:58 PM »
Label info#2:
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2022, 12:01:36 PM »
Oh yeah, definitely agree.  But then TL don't care about no holster fit - he uses big ol' flap holsters!  :)
LOL!

LOL! Actually It fits in a Oklahoma Leather "Slim Jim" very nicely!

You can't argue with success, then. ;D

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2022, 11:23:12 AM »

:D  Ho Kay!!  Listen UP  :o

Just received a missive from Maggie Enns at Howell Arms.  They now have Gated Conversions in stock for '58 Remington. 

I have no financial interest.  I do not receive gratuities.  I do not personally like Remington so have no Dog inna Fight.  Public Service Announcement.

Play Safe Out There

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2022, 11:40:06 AM »
That is good news.  I wonder if they are 6 shot like when the came out?  I don't mind the Kirst being a five shot, as most Remingtons were converted to 5 shot .46 Rimfire, which is nearly identical to the .45 Schofields I shot from it.  My KIRST 1860s are 5 shot, too. 

If I were to shoot a pair of 1858s, though, I'd probably go with the 6 shot Howells.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2022, 03:41:15 PM »
With four Open top Colts, I really don't need my Kirst Pietta Remington. I think Ill find it a new home... It would sell as a BP revolver with the Kirst stuff separate so no FFL.  BTW, it's unfired.

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2022, 10:21:35 PM »
I keep trying to love Remmies, but I stuck on open top Colts (I have four).
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com