Author Topic: Anything Could Happen  (Read 107605 times)

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Anything Could Happen
« on: October 24, 2005, 03:57:32 PM »
Originally posted by Scarlet

Sept 1, 1874

“Put something on!” Rose yelled after Rebecca who bounced out the door.

Rose could only smile as she shook her head back and forth. “You suppose Tensleep will put a stop to that once they are married?” She said looking at Ella who was starting to sew the hem on Rebecca’s wedding dress.

Ella raised her eyebrows in question. “Try, possibly, succeed, I doubt.”

Rebecca picked up her saddlebags grinning as she went out the front door.

The ranch hands she passed stopped what they were doing to admire the green eyed brunet dressed in  frillies and boots, who was making her way to the corral.

Becca slid quietly up behind her soon to be husband, who was watching his two deputies work the young horses, and put her arms around him. “I think Rose is enjoying seeing if she can keep us apart until our wedding night. Ten more days gonna drive me crazy.” She whispered so he could feel her warm breath on his neck.

Rose was the closest to a mother Rebecca Valentine had since her own mother had died many years ago. Rebecca considered Scarlet her sister and since Rose was Scarlet’s mother it had come naturally. Seemed to Rebecca there were a lot of folks on the Southern Starr that considered one another family, closer than friends yet not related by blood. The small group of people that had come with Scarlet to visit for New Years and had stayed on to work with Marshal JB Ross had become part of her family.

Rebecca kissed Tensleep on the neck then stepped next to him and leaned against the fence watching Scarlet and Fritz work the two horses.

Scarlet’s back was to her and Fritz had only glanced to see who it was that came to the fence. He was busy watching and listening to what Scarlet was telling him, resulting in the two horses nearly making mirror movements of one another.

When they weren’t working for the Marshal, Scarlet had been working with Fritz showing him how to train the horses from start to finish. She was impressed how fast he learned and happy that he seemed to enjoy it. They were nearly done with the group of horses Mr. Whirly had paid extra to be finished by the time he picked them up.

Unbeknown to Fritz, Scarlet had bought Bo’s half interest in the horse Fritz was now working with and planned to give him to Fritz on their wedding day. She figured while Strider was his main mount he should have a second mount he could call his own. 

She had known they would be a good match when the herd was brought in and the horse seemed to take to Fritz right away. The horse held a special place in her heart since he was one of her stallion’s first foals and she’d been trying to figure out she wanted to do with him. The dam had belonged to Bo, making them partners in the colt. Mr. Whirly had offered them top dollar for him every year since his birth and Scarlet had just told him she would consider the offer. Bo had just laughed and told her she couldn’t keep them all.

Scarlet knew she’d made the right decision when she’d heard Fritz asked Bo about the horse. Bo had simply told Fritz he was sorry but the horse had been sold. When she was asked Scarlet had promised Fritz the horse was going to a good home to someone who would care for him and all the time and training Fritz was doing would be appreciated.

She smiled now as she watched Fritz work with the horse.

“Hey Scarlet.” Rebecca called. “ya should put some trail time on that one yer riddin’.”

“Think so?” Scarlet chuckled.

“Yep. I think that horse needs trail time and I need to escape before Rose an’ Ella think I need to put the dress on again. Sides it’s been months since we blew off some steam.”

“Months?” Scarlet laughed thinking about the parties held at the Ace of Hearts Saloon.

“How many bottles you got in them saddlebags?” Scarlet said as she turned her horse to face Rebecca.

“Enough, got something to eat too.” Becca grinned.

Scarlet turned in her saddle and looked at Fritz. By the look her face he could tell she felt guilty about running off when there was work to be done.

“Go and have a good time.” He said with a smile causing her to smile back at him.

Scarlet moved her horse against the fence where her gun belt hung, picked it up and buckled it on, then turned him towards the gate.

The speed in which Fritz moved his horse to cut her off surprised her but her smile told him she was impressed.

“Very nice move Sugar, but what are you doing?” She asked.

“You can go but you must pay to pass milady.” His eyes danced mischievously.

She moved her horse next to his, placing her hand gently on his chest Scarlet smirked.

“Pay to pass huh?” She said tracing her fingers down his chest then lightly placing her hand on his saddle horn, she leaned over and kissed him sweetly. “We’ll be back before dark.” She whispered with a smile that told him she loved him.

Rebecca had returned with her own horse. She kissed Tensleep and grinned at him then mounted her own horse. “Come on Scarlet.”

“Let me get my gear.”

“Gheez we’re going for a ride and a swim, and talk about men.” She winked at Tensleep. “what ya going to need that cannon for?”

“I feel sorry for ya Fritz. Trying to find a place next to her when ya lay down at night must be near impossible between the guns, knife and horse.” Rebecca laughed kicking her horse into a lope.

“Hey.” Scarlet yelled after her friend then followed never minding the rifle that was in the house.

Mr. Dawg, the large black dog that had stayed on with his mistress, Trixie, so they could attend the double wedding of her friends, let out a low bark then chased after the two horses headed away from the house.

“Keep ‘em outta trouble.” Patches called after Mr. Dawg as he passed the telegraph office the dust kicking up behind him.

Bo watched the trio moving off then shook his head. “I’m not sure which one of you is going to have his hands fuller.” He chuckled as he led his horse past Tensleep and Fritz.
`````

Rose stood and looked out the window at the sound of the hoof beats. She turned back to Ella with a smile. “I never thought I’d see the day when Break Heart Becca would settle down with just one man. And I never thought I’d see the day when Scarlet would find one she cared enough for to share her life with again.”
"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I’d hate to be the one on the hell side.” ~Patches McDuff

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Anything Could Happen
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 09:09:36 PM »
Originally posted by Ozark Iron John

Woooo! Woooooo! Off in the distance the whistle of a west bound train. The Iron Mountain Express out of Sprinfield, Missouri has a head of steam and is headed for Texas. In a private Pullman Car sets a serious young man from Missouri. He's a Special Agent for the Missouri Pacific Railway Express Company and he's on a mission to apprehend an outlaw. A train robber and a murderer running loose in the badlands.

Woooo! Woooooo! John looks around him at the well apportioned car. It is an office on wheels with all of the accoutrements of home. Fine mahogany walls, thick wool rugs and soft leather bound chairs. It's been a comfortable ride. A good way to see new country.

"Are we in Texas yet, Mr. Bell?" he asked the man setting across from him.

"Naw, John. We won't be there till morning. You should get some sleep."

"I cain't sleep sir. I think I'll step back to the stockcar and take a look at my horses, if you don't mind?"

"Knock yourself out, just don't fall off the train."

John gets up, moves to the back of the car and opens the door.

"Clickety-Clack, Clickety-Clack, Clickety-Clack."

The cool night air is refreshing. Stars twinkle like diamonds in the sky. He makes his way into the stockcar where the horses are stabled. Buck is an 8 year old buckskin quarter-horse gelding. Red is a 12 year old sorrel quarter-horse gelding. They've carried him on many a long hunt, but this is their first train ride. They're a little spooky. John poured grain into a feedbag and put it on Buck's head. Then he did the same for Red. He pats them down and whispers, "What would Old Pap think of us now boyz? What would Old Pap think of us now?"

Woooo! Woooooo! "Clickety-Clack, Clickety-Clack, Clickety-Clack."

After spending some time with his horses, John rolled himself a smoke. He sat down on a bale of straw next to the stall and gazed out the door at the passing countryside. It’s hard to believe he’s so far away from home.

“Clickety-Clack, Clickety-Clack, Clickety-Clack.”

The sound of the train rolling along the tracks is mesmerizing. The moonlight illuminates the hills and provides for interesting landscape scenes. John sits still, smokes and watches the world pass bye.

After a little while, he looks at his watch. It is 4:35 am, Sept 1, 1874. "I'd better get back to Mr. Bell boys," he says to the horses and stands up to leave.

Rose wiped her hands on her apron as she stepped onto the porch. It was good to have all these people, HER FAMILY, back at the Starr. She smiled as Scarlet and ‘Becca rode out. Rose was amazed at how close they’d become; like sisters.

Fritz walked by with the new horse. He tipped his hat and smiled. He was wearing the new tan slouch hat, and some of the clothes Scarlet bought for him. Rose shook her head.

She wondered if her daughter knew of the pain he felt. He’d probably ache on that side of his body for months, maybe years to come. But the pain of losing his rank would stay with him much longer.

Rose knew her soon to be son in law well. He was proud of his service, and had reason to be. Perhaps that was why he hadn’t worn his uniform since that day at the fort. Tensleep had given him the reward money for Rowen’s brother, but as far as she knew, Fritz hadn’t spent it.

Rose stepped off the porch and followed. She stayed back a discreet distance, and watched him work. He cared for the horse well, which came as no surprise...he was a horse soldier, after all.

“So,” Rose said, “have you considered what to get Scarlet for a wedding gift?”

"What?" Fritz had been so intent on caring for the new mount that he hadn't heard her approach. Not good.

Rose giggled and came closer. "Scarlet's wedding gift...?"

Actually, he HAD put a lot of thought into what to get his bride. What did you get a girl who had everything? She had more guns and knives than she'd ever need. And horses? Scarlet knew horseflesh better than any man he'd known.

Fritz put down the currycomb and faced Rose. He wanted to give his bride something she needed...something he wanted, but had never attained.

"Are there any parcels of land nearby that are for sale?"

"Why Fritz," Rose exclaimed, "what did you have in mind?"

"I want to give Scarlet a home," he said.

Rose smiled. “I don’t think I could have chosen a better man for Scarlet myself.” She thought as her smile turned to a grin.

“Parcels..depends on how close you want to be. Johnny would probably make you a fair deal if there is a piece of the Starr you like.

Scarlet’s favorite place is too hard to put a house on, unless you want to live in the A frame that is there. I don’t think that is what you had in mind."

Rose thought a moment, she was almost afraid to say it but she did.

"I know a place that has stood empty for years. Has a beautiful wrap around porch, three rooms and a pretty nice kitchen, barn, the property is beautiful too. You could probably talk the current owner into selling it. Course it would need a lot of cleaning, new curtains, maybe some repair.” Rose paused “but I don’t know how either one of you would be feel about living there.” Her voice trailed off.

"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I’d hate to be the one on the hell side.” ~Patches McDuff

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 08:55:49 PM »
Originally posted by Ozark John

When John returned to the Pullman car he found Mr. Bell busy studying a map.

“Hey! I was about to send somebody out to look for you. Are your horses okay?” he said.

“Yes sir. They’re fine. They’re a little spooked by all the rattling, but they’ll be okay.”

“Good. Come over here and take a look at this map."

Spread out on the big oak desk was a map of western Texas, northern Mexico and the badlands of New Mexico. “Our boy’s hiding out here.” He swept his hand over the part of the map east of El Paso. This is the Big Bend area. He crosses the river wherever he chooses. We think he’s holed up in a cave or a miner’s shack somewhere in these Jeff Davis Mountains.

“So what’s the plan sir?”, John asked.

“When we pull into the depot tomorrow evening you just sit tight. I want everyone off of the train and out of the depot before you and your ponies dismount. The conductor will see to it that you’re notified when it is time to leave. I want you to ride north all night. The mountains will be on your left, the desert will be on your right. By daybreak, you’ll see the pass. You should camp in the saddle. Next morning ride west down the mountain to the Rio Grande. You’ll see it. It’s big and green. You should be getting back to town by dark. Stop in the first cantina you come to and get yourself something to eat. I want you to appear weary and trail worn. Your story is that you’re on the run from the law in Arizona territory and you just crossed the desert. You’re heading for San Antonio.”

“Why is that sir?”, John asked.

“These boys are smart John. They’ve already killed your uncle and another agent as well. They’re looking for a railroad man to be hunting them and I don't want them to suspect you. I want you to come at them from the west. They won’t be expecting it.”

Mill around town for a few days and try to hook some fellers headed for San Antonio. I’ll meet you Friday night at Rosa’s Cantina on the other side of the river. Ask around, you’ll find it.

“I can do that.” John smiled and traced the route on the map. “No problem.”

Scarlet and Rebecca rode along the river close to the edge of the Southern Starr. Stopping near the herd of horses that could often be found there, they dismounted, unsaddled and tied up their mounts then went in for a swim. They laughed at Mr. Dawg as he ran along the shore finally getting brave enough and jumping in.

When everyone had their fill of the water they sat down on the shore. Rebecca opened her saddlebags and pulled out the wine and food she had brought along.

“You haven’t teased me once about the fact YER” pointing her finger at Scarlet as she emphasized yer.  “mother is keeping me so busy I haven’t had the time or energy to spend with John at night if you know what I mean.” Rebecca eyed Scarlet for her reaction.

Scarlet suppressed a smile. “That’s because she chased Fritz to the bunkhouse not long ago and I think she has assigned Bo to keep an eye on us too.”

“What’s her reasoning ‘hind that?”

“It gives you time to think about what it’s like apart so you appreciate the time together, remember how much you love one another when you argue… she had some other things too.”

“You gotta love mom” they said in unison then laughed and passed the bottle.

Rebecca watched as Scarlet lazily ran her fingers along Mr. Dawg’s chest. He lay upside down with head back, his nose nearly touching the rock, his feet suspended over Scarlet’s hand.

“That dog is sure something. How far you two go back?” Rebecca asked.

“He was probably six months old or so, met him the night I met Trixie. He was thin enough I could’ve picked him up with out much problem. She threw him a few scraps o’ food and he’s been her best friend ever since. He’s saved both our skins once er twice over the years.” Scarlet replied then looked at the piece of paper Rebecca had dug out of her saddle bags.

“What ya got there?”

Rebecca grinned wickedly “Well I gotta be truthful, there’s been some betting going on.”

“How does that not surprise me?” Scarlet chuckled taking the bottle back. “Since yer looking guilty it’s got to be something about me.”

“Well of course.” Rebecca’s said excitedly. “One of the cowboys at the Ace started it by asking a question and it kind of went from there.”

Scarlet raised an eyebrow in question.

“It’s not bad.” Rebecca chuckled. “He simply asked what was it about Fritz that first got your attention.” She leaned close waiting for Scarlet to answer. When Scarlet only smiled she continued. “Cuz to be honest some of them cowboys been trying to get you attention for along time and you are polite when you turn ‘em down but you normally keep steppin’ by, and some of ‘em were real lookers too.”

Scarlet held out her hand. “Gi’me” she said with a chuckle.

Rebecca leaned forward and handed her the paper.

Scarlet read the list. Many of the average things were listed. Eyes, smile, way he sits a horse. She laughed when she read what Johnny wrote. “Cuz I told her to stay away from Yankee soldiers.”

“Oh I like this one. Cuz she can’t resist the uniform. I should’ve thought of it. Hank.” Scarlet laughed softly. “I might have to tell him he was right.” She smirked.

“I think some of the girls at the Ace been checkin Fritz out kinda close judging from some of these answers.” Scarlet handed the paper back.

“Well any of ‘em close?” Rebecca asked.

Scarlet half grinned and took another drink then feed a piece of cheese to Mr. Dawg.

“I bet you can guess who’s closest.” She said.

Rebecca looked over the list. “Must be Bo. Something he did when he was unaware he was being watched.”

Scarlet simply smiled.

“I didn’t think you snuck around peepin’ on folks unless you was planning on shooten ‘em.” Rebecca laughed.

“I don’t” Scarlet chuckled.

“Sooooo? Ya gonna make me guess. Cuz I’ll ride right back to the Starr and ask Fritz if he dances naked around the campfire in the moonlight er something.” She grinned wickedly.

“You no doubt would, but that wasn’t first got my attention, gotta say I was impressed at how many times he can jump over it.” Scarlet laughed.

Rebecca’s eyes grew wide; suddenly she realized she was being teased. “Cute Scarlet, gonna tell me the truth?”

“When we were with the Arizona marshal we rode into Mexico. The marshal picked Fritz up out of some prison and brought him back to the posse. He fought with us, in doing so he lost his horse. I had never seen anyone read a bible over a fallen horse before. I guess I figured it said something about the man.”

“I guess something like that would make YOU look twice.” Rebecca said.

Scarlet stood and gathered up her gear. “We should start heading back or they will be taking bets one of us got cold feet.”

’Becca stood and began to gather her gear also. “How do ya know he’s the one you want to spend the rest of your life with?”

Mr. Dawg had sat up and yawned lazily as the girls pulled on their boots.

“How do you know Tensleep is the one you want to spend the rest of your life with?”

“A feeling I guess.” Rebecca replied. “Ya know ya just know.” She eyed Scarlet “Instinct.” Then grinned thinking Scarlet couldn’t argue with something she’d say herself.

Scarlet snorted.

“Well how do you explain it then?”

“Think of one perfect moment in time and tell me who you’re with.” Scarlet said. “Oh and your clothes are on.” She added teasingly.

Becca rolled her eyes and shook her head as she laughed. Then she thought for a second a genuine smile spreading across her lips. “You know I was so touched when John came into Black Wolf’s camp, scooped me up right in his arms.” She looked at Scarlet waiting for her to share.

“A dance, I couldn’t tell you what the band was playing but it was slow. It felt so right so perfect. I knew that’s where I’d like to be for the rest of my life.”

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:52:02 PM »

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 09:19:15 PM »
Originally posted by Ozark John

Mr. Bell rolled the map up and stuffed it into a cylinder and put it in a draw of the big mahogany desk. He took out his pocket watch and said “lets synchronize or clocks”.

John pulled his watch out of his pocket. He couldn’t help but remember where he had gotten it. Well that Yankee Jayhawker didn’t need it anymore.

“It is 9:25 am, Sept 1, 1874”.

“Got it!” John said.

“I want you to clean your guns again today John and I want you to get some rest.”

“Yes sir. I will.” John said.

With that, the older man turned off the light and settled into one of the big soft leather bound chairs.

Originally posted by Fritz

The sorrel nickered, and Fritz pulled a sugar cube from his vest pocket.

"Sounds perfect. How much...oh."

He suddenly realized he'd been to that house before.

Scarlet's house. Travis' house.
"Rose," Fritz started.

"It's been empty for far too long. It was killed before its time. The happy sounds had just started there, when..." Rose wiped the corner of her eye with her apron.

"Mom...may I call you that?" Fritz asked.

She nodded her head.

"It's a lovely house. But do you think Scarlet could live there, with the memories in the wood?"

Rose took his hands.

"I know anything is possible...as long as you believe."

Fritz smiled. "Then I guess I'd better talk to the owner."

"One thing," Rose added. "We need to clean the baby's room. I'm not sure she could handle that."

Offline Butcher Bill

• Citizen
  • Let's Dance..
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 02:25:18 PM »
"Well,Bless my soul,"says the man on the black horse. "I thought to bring my horse to water,and set up camp for the night,but I can see that this spot is occupied.

"And by two of the prettiest flowers,that must have assuredly been placed here by an angel."

The mans approach had been quiet. Too quiet,and he startled the girls.

Scarlet turned towards him instantly,her revolver already drawn.

In her sights sat a man on a big black horse,and a pair of black dogs.One on either side of him.

The man was dressed mostly in black,and wore a pair of dark glasses.

Scarlet realised she was holding her breath....could it be him,she thought...she had heard he had passed...
esteemed member possum lodge

Never Forget 911 Never

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 12:25:08 PM »
Rebecca jumped again when Scarlet drew her gun “What the hell ya doin’?!”

Scarlet looked into the shadows. There was nothing, but there had been a voice, she would have bet her life she’d heard his voice.

“I didn’t think you drank enough to be drawing on the wind.” ‘Becca giggled.

Scarlet dipped her head as she replaced the pistol and slightly smiled at the memory.

“Oh she’s thinkin’ bout something good.” Becca teased watching her friend.

“Somebody you would have liked to meet Becca.”

“Oh?” She raised an eyebrow with interest.

Scarlet looked at her and shook her head with a smile. “Yeah. Don’t know if he would’ve been the marrying kind but woulda been a hell of a ride.”

“Oh so now ya mention this man of mystery, ten days before the wedding. Thanks.” Becca laughed.

Scarlet had cinched her saddle and stepped over to pick up the bridle still wondering why she’d seen the man so clearly and wondering if it was some sort of premonition. Looking around she noticed things were quiet, to quiet. Mr. Dawg was now standing his attention fixed on something, his hackles starting to rise. The horse’s heads were raised and they were looking in the same direction.

Scarlet stepped closer to Rebecca and Mr. Dawg. “Something’s going on but I don’t hear or see anything.” She said softly.

Mr. Dawg let out a low growl and took a single slow step forward.

The movement of the herd’s lead mare caught her attention. Scarlet cursed under her breath when she saw the mare spin with pinned ears and begin to move the others away. Scarlet ran for the two riding horses, reaching Cloud in time to grab his rope before he pulled it lose. She made a grab for her horse’s rope as he lounged back, the rope pulled lose and slipped through her fingers; the animal spun and followed the quickly departing herd.

“Damn” she mumbled thinking she’d been spoiled by Lucky who she hardly ever tied and he stayed close to her.

She heard Becca’s voice “Ah Scarlet.”

Suddenly she was aware of a presence. Feeling breath on her neck Scarlet turned slowly to face the old bay stallion. She had hoped it was one of the others; most of them were ridden on a semi regular basis. He looked at her like he was waiting for her to leave the area too.

Scarlet slowly slid Cloud’s rope around the stallion’s neck. “Becca bring me my bridle.”

Rebecca picked up the bridle and handed it to Scarlet. “You gonna ride him?”

“Well we can double up and see how far the others went.” Scarlet replied adjusting the headstall after she’d put it on him.

“Maybe that would be a good idea. I’d loan ya a saddle but I didn’t bring it.” Rebecca said as she bridled her own horse. Picking up her saddlebags she put them over Clouds shoulders then led him to a rock and climbed on. Scarlet followed and climbed on behind her.

Rebecca was about to turn to follow where the herd had gone when Mr. Dawg let out soft bark and headed in the opposite direction. Becca automatically turned her horse to follow.

The women both knew they had left the Southern Starr when they reached the crossroads. Queitly they followed as Mr. Dawg followed the road headed towards the Fort.

Mr. Dawg veered off the road went down the wash, freezing when he reached the top. Becca pulled her horse to a stop.

“What you think is out there?” She whispered to Scarlet.

Mr. Dawg looked down at the two of them then back down the other side.

“I was hoping it was a cat or something spooked the horses at the river.” Scarlet said sliding off the back of Cloud and handing the reins of the stallion to Becca.

Rebecca never had a good feeling when she saw Scarlet draw her gun, it was no different now. She slid off her horse and held them both tight just in case gun fire erupted or Scarlet came back on the run.

Scarlet stayed low to the ground. Reaching Mr. Dawg she sucked in her breath as she looked at the scene below them. Mr. Dawg let out a soft whimper as he looked from her to the scene below.

Her eyes scanned the area looking for movement. A trail of dust could be seen moving away in the distance.

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 07:50:51 PM »

It didn't take much suggestion from Rose for Fritz to ride out there. Scarlet was out enjoying herself. It was the perfect time. The sorrel was handling the McClellen well. He'd be sad to see him go. Fritz had become kinda attached to him.

"Whoa, Buddy," he said, pulling up to the hitching post.

Buddy...it was a good name. Perhaps he'd suggest it to his new owner. He pulled another sugar cube from his vest. The sorrel took it greedily.

"I think you have a sweet tooth," Fritz said to the horse. "I bet you'd like some of Ella's cookies." The sorrel nickered and nodded in agreement.

Fritz started for the porch, but something made him turn.

The gate to the cemetery stood open. Funny...he'd thought he's closed it during his last visit. Fritz walked over, taking his slouch off as he entered. There was but one stone. He'd seen it before. Fritz crossed himself and knelt. He noticed a small wooden cross, laying on the ground next to the stone. He righted it.

"Father," he said, "I want to be the best husband I can be. The woman I love deserves it. I want to give her a home. THIS home.

Fritz touched the stone. "Travis...we both love Scarlet. If you'll allow it, I'd like her to be here. We'd both be close to her. Is it the right thing to do?"

Fritz crossed himself and rose. He heard a sound behind him; gentle, like a sigh. When he turned, the cabin door stood open...

...as he somehow knew it would.

Fritz walked up the porch and through the threshold.

The stone fireplace sat at his right. It had looked as if someone had been here since he and Bo had been here a few months back. The picture of Scarlet and Travis had been put on the mantle. Fritz didn’t really remember where Bo had left it but he was sure it was not there. The footprints were too small to be Bo’s anyway.

Directly in front of him were the three bedrooms making up the back side of the house.

Fritz walked across the living room to the first door and opened it; he remembered Bo had said he’d lived here too. The room had been mostly cleaned out except for a dresser with a picture on it and the bed.

The woman in the picture looked to be a redhead. Her hair fell loosely over her shoulder and her eyes held a certain fire Fritz recognized in a lot of the women that lived at the Starr.

The middle room was the baby’s room. The dresser in the corner was white with ponies of every color painted on it to match the mobile that hung over the crib. One could easily imagine Scarlet and Rose having a grand time decorating the room.

The master bedroom was in the left hand corner and larger than the rest of the rooms of the house. The only thing missing were clothes in the closet or dresser.

Fritz stepped into the kitchen next; pushing open the shutters above the sink he was not surprised to see the barn. Turning back around, it was easy to see someone had done some fine cabinetry work, even if they were covered in years of dust. The dining table was big enough for four people and sat near the kitchen.

The bath house was connected by a door off of the kitchen. Water for baths could be easily heated on the cook stove and carried to it.

Bo had seen Fritz ride out and not being to sure where he was headed Bo waited to give him a head start then followed.

His only thought was if Rose wanted Fritz and Scarlet to have a chaperon until the wedding she should be doing it herself but she had asked him.

It surprised Bo to see Buddy tied up in front of the house. He looked around; there were no other horses to be seen.

Bo pulled his horse to a stop, dismounted and tied him next the sorrel.

The door stood open and he could see Fritz standing in the center of the house looking around.

Bo stepped in and looked around. "Were ya looking for something?"

Fritz smiled. "Yep, as a matter of fact, I was looking for the owner of this house."

Bo crossed his arms over his chest. "That'd be me. What did you have in mind?"

"I want to give Scarlet a home. This one should've been hers." He laid his gunbelt on the table. "You can feel it in the wood. Vibrations..."

Bo cocked his head, unsure of what he meant.

"This was once a happy place," Fritz said. "I want to make it one again." He stripped off his vest and rolled his sleeves.

Bo sighed and shook his head. "There's an axe in the barn. Should still be some wood out there. I'll draw the water, you light the stove."

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 08:36:20 PM »

Rebecca had seen that look on Scarlet’s face before. Something on the other side was not right.

“What’s there?” Rebecca said handing Scarlet the reins of the stallion.

“A battlefield.” Scarlet said as she handed Becca her pistol then drew her second one. “Let’s get a closer look but keep on yer toes.”

The two women cautiously made their way to the fallen men followed by Mr. Dawg, who kept a very watchful eye.

Becca looked around her. “These are the soldiers that were at the Starr when we rode out this morning.”

“They were picking up about twenty head of horses the army bought.” Scarlet said holstering her gun to examine the only horse that stood among the men. As she did Scarlet noticed many of the men still moving.

The mare she recognized belonged to her friend Sean. The horse put her head against Scarlet as she ran her fingers along the wound, judging from it the bullet that creased the mares shoulder should be lodged in her rider’s knee.

Scarlet’s eyes searched for the man that normally sat in this saddle. Spotting him she made her way towards Sean, noticing the wounds on the men she passed, all very similar.
Scarlet holstered her gun when she reached him.

He was lucky, his knee was only grazed and had not been shattered by the bullet.

“Sean.” Scarlet said kneeling next to him. She noticed another wound in his thigh and one in his side.

The man’s eyes fluttered open and he looked up at her.

“Can ya tell me what happened?” She asked.

“Ambushed.” He said whispered.

“Can you tell me how many or who?”

Sean shook his head back and forth.

Rebecca took the canteen from the soldier’s horse and walked over.

“Scarlet, most of ‘em are still alive.” She said softly.

“I know. From the looks of the wounds whoever did it meant for ‘em to die a slow death.” Scarlet said.

“What makes ya say that?”

Scarlet looked over her shoulder up at Becca “Unattended they’ll bleed to death or rot. Look at ‘em all of em have similar wounds. Nobody’s walkin out of here. By the time the army decides to come looking for them it will be nightfall. They’d ride right past on the rode out to the Starr. By the time you had enough light to follow the tracks and find ‘em these boys would be dead or well on their way.”

Taking the canteen from Rebecca she steadied it while Sean took a drink.

“Why’d ya leave the road?” She asked after he’d sipped the water.

“Something spooked ‘em.” He said.

Rebecca had gone to see how many more of them were alive.

Mr. Dawg’s low bark drew Scarlet’s attention. Scarlet stood and walked towards him. “Ah Crap.” She muttered as she got closer.

The boy that had a hold of Mr. Dawg’s fur was speaking Comanche.

“It’s alright Mr. Dawg.” She said patting Dawg’s head.

The boy had similar wounds. Scarlet looked around her. She had nothing she needed, no medical kit, one canteen; most of the men had been striped of their gear.

She took her knife and cut the bottom half of her shirt off and wrapped the boy’s wounds in an attempt to stop the oozing blood. She wondered how long the boy and his uncle, who lay dead next to him, had been missing from Black Wolf’s camp and why they were here. Rebecca was going to flip when she saw him Scarlet knew it.

“Scarlet” Rebecca called trying to be quiet incase who ever did this was still near.

Scarlet stood and turned. “It’s Blue Feather.” Rebecca said with a puzzled look on her face.

“Is he still alive?”

“Barely.”

Scarlet made her way towards Rebecca nearly tripping over the hand that reached out for her, she looked down.

“Help.” He was barley able to get the word out.

Looking at him Scarlet felt ill, he was just a kid. El Paso was probably his first post. She knelt down next to him and took his hand. He tried to speak. Scarlet leaned close to try to hear but he was gone.

She stood back up. “Becca we’ve got to get help.”

Becca turned around; her eyes grew wide as she looked at Scarlet. Half her shirt was missing and her midriff was covered in blood.

Scarlet thought to herself. If the army did find them this didn’t look good. She had seen the scalped soldier.

Black Wolf would come looking for his brother and the two boys sooner or later and what he would find wouldn’t look good either. Sean couldn’t tell her what had happened. If there was somebody among them that could he wasn’t speaking up right now.

She needed help and she needed it now from somebody who would treat anybody they were asked to, knew what they were doing, and get moving before all of their questions were answered. That left one person that actually had the skills and the equipment needed and most importantly Scarlet trusted.

“Becca come on we got to get the Starr.”

“What happened?” Rebecca was pointing her finger up and down at Scarlet. “And are we just going to leave them?”

“We’ve got to get help, lets go.” Scarlet was leading the stallion back to Sean’s horse.
Reaching the mare she striped her of her gear and put it up on the stallion. The horse danced at bit while Scarlet tried to saddle him.

“What are you….OH GAWD!”

“Damn” Scarlet thought knowing by Becca’s reaction she had seen the boy.

“Becca come on.” Scarlet said pulling the cinch tight and reprimanding the horse for not standing still. “Becca?”

Scarlet looked to see where Rebecca was. Not surprised to see she was on her knees next to the boy, tears streaming from her eyes.

Scarlet lead the stallion back over and put her hand on Becca’s shoulder. “Let’s go for help.” She said softly.

“No. I won’t leave him. If he’s gonna die Scarlet I’ll not let him die alone.” Becca wiped her tears and looked up at Scarlet then back to the boy.

Scarlet knew arguing would only waste time they were short on and she would lose anyway.

“Take Cloud and get help.” Becca said flatly.

Scarlet went back to Sean. “Where’s your gun?”

He was the only one who still had his belt, the rifle was missing off of his horse. Scarlet hoped she was going to get lucky since the others were picked over. Sean had always been crafty anyhow.

“Layin on it.” He smiled triumphantly.

“Sean can I borrow your rig.” She said as she unbuckled his belt then reached under him finding the pistol. Sean managed another smile.

Scarlet took the belt and used her knife to put another hole in it, removed her own and buckled on his. Holstering the pistol she touched his cheek. “Hang on, I’m going for help.”

He opened his eyes. “Hell of a vision.” He said looking at the woman wearing his prairie belt in half a shirt and tight pants. He couldn’t place the Calvary horse she had though.

“Here” Scarlet held out her gun belt and other gun to Rebecca. “Promise me if whoever did this comes back you’ll get the hell outta here.”

“Mr. Dawg will warn me if he gets wind of anybody I’m sure.” She replied looking up at Scarlet. She couldn’t believe what she was looking at.

“When was the last time that horse was ridden? Take Cloud.”

“Promise me if they come back you’ll hide yourself and I will NOT leave you without a horse.” Scarlet said taking up the reins and swinging into the saddle.

The stallion rolled his eyes and let out a sigh.

“Last time someone put a leg over this horse, Phantom wore Confederate rigging.”

“Try to leave me a sign where you’ve gone if you have to go.” Scarlet said while she asked the horse to do a few basic moves, happy to see he was still responsive to a rider.

“Promise you’ll go Becca, there are enough here needing medical attention.” She said.

“Ok I promise. God speed Scarlet.” Rebecca replied.

Scarlet turned the bay towards home and kicked him.

Scarlet kept running the scene through her mind wondering who attacked who. Had Black Wolf attacked them he wouldn’t have left the fallen warriors. She’d seen the scalped soldier. It was a bad job and the Comanche would have taken the scalp with him anyway. Black Wolf wouldn’t have left the boy to die either. Scarlet couldn’t help but notice the boy had bruises around his wrists and his uncle had been dead longer than those soldiers had been wounded. Something wasn’t right at all.

Scarlet couldn’t imagine the Calvary would have left their men laying there unless they were in pursuit of whoever was responsible. But would they have left them with one lame horse and no one really to defend them? What if they came back and found Becca?

Scarlet pressed Phantom for everything he had.

The man on watch couldn’t make out who it was, but he wasn’t slowing at all as he passed the outriders. The man kept watching. In fact it looked like the rider speeded up when he passed the outriders and had completely ignored the warning shot they had fired.

Johnny looked up to the post. “What’s going out there?”

“We got fast incoming, single rider” The lookout could make out the blue blanket and caught a glimpse of the sun bounce of the chest of the horse. “Calvary.” He looked down at Johnny. “He’s coming like a bat outta hell Boss. Never slowed for the boys when they fired.”

“What in blue blazes is a soldier comin’ in like that for?” Johnny said to no one in particular.

“Hey boss, whoever that is he’s riding the old bay. Someone better find Bo, I think he’s gonna want ta have a word with this fella.” The man said excitedly.

Johnny motioned for someone to ride out and find Bo.

When Scarlet was close enough to the house she flipped her hat off causing her long blonde hair to fall about her shoulders, hoping who ever was watching would recognize her.

“It’s Scarlet!” the man yelled down from his post.

Johnny narrowed his eyes thinking it must be something bad as he watched the incoming rider.

The pounding of the hoof beats could be heard along with Scarlet’s voice, at first they were intermingled and they couldn’t make out what she was saying.

“ELLA!” Phantom raced passed the telegraph office and continued for the main house.

Scarlet realized as they neared the house Phantom was not slowing even though she was sitting down and asking him.
“ELLA!!” she yelled between cursing under her breath at the horse.

Scarlet braced herself pulling on the reins hard. “Whoa…Ella!!”

Phantom finally slowed and stopped between the house and barn. Scarlet was off of him like a shot and running for the house, thinking Ella might be in the kitchen.

Johnny’s eyes were wide as ran out to meet her. He couldn’t believe what he was seeing. Scarlet’s midriff.... splotched with blood, wearing someone else’s gun.

“What’s…”

“Where’s ELLA!”

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 08:48:56 PM »
Originally posted by Ella

Ella heard Scarlet calling her name, so she tucked the needle into the hem, and put the skirt down, then hurried down the stairs and out through the kitchen.

She stopped at the sight of Scarlet.
"What's happened? Whose blood is that?" she asked.

Scarlet replied, "No time to explain. Get your medical kit and come!"

Ella asked, "How many patients?"

"Lots."

Ella turned to Rose, who had followed her downstairs. "Rose, please load up a wagon with all the blankets and canvas available, add food, water, cooking gear and firewood, and have Bill follow us with it. Scarlet, I'll be ready to go in 10 minutes. Get Diamond saddled for me, please."

Ella ran upstairs.

In well under 10 minutes, she was out at the stable dressed in riding skirt, loose shirt, vest and boots, with saddlebags over one shoulder and carrying a carpet bag.

Tensleep heard the commotion in the yard from his office. The paperwork that he was preparing suddenly held no interest whatsoever. Wanted posters and reports had no meaning. Standing he ran for the door.

As he hit the porch his eyes scanned the scene before him. Scarlet leaping to the ground from a strange horse covered with blood yelling for Ella and no sight of Becca caused him to suddenly go cold. He ran for the house behind Scarlet and Johnny.

Bursting in the door he heard the fast conversation and Ella's words to Rose.

The marshal was a patient man but could wait no longer. "Where's Becca? Where is she, is she alive? Scarlet! Answer me!"

Rose pushed past Tensleep and out the door to do as Ella asked.

Scarlet was at the top up the stairs when her mind registered Tensleep was yelling her name.

“Ok when I left her. She needs a gun belt!” Was the response as she disappeared into her room.

Scarlet came out of her room just as fast as she’d gone in, her saddlebags over her shoulder, her rifle in one hand and extra clothes in the other.

She nearly collided with Johnny at the bottom of the stairs, Tensleep standing right behind him.

“What the hell girl?” Johnny made a grab to try and stop her.

Ducking by both men still on the run. “Cross roads to the fort, other side of the wash, the soldiers were ambushed, horses stolen.”

“Shot up soldiers never got her that excited, sumtin else is going on.” Johnny turned and followed after her.

Scarlet was calling Lucky as she entered the barn, she put down her gear.

"Scarlet." Johnny was trying to get more information.

She threw the extra clothes at him. "Becca and I will need to change, send that with who ever follows." She was putting Lucky's gear on him as fast as she could. "Tell Fritz where I've gone. So...." She was going to say so he doesn't worry, but she'd only be lying she was worried herself. "just tell 'im."

"I don't know how many there were but whoever they were, they were good. Everyone of them soliders are down. Ella and I are gonna need help, but I ain't got time ta wait."

With that Scarlet was in the saddle and headed towards Rose who was holding Diamond's reins.

"Bo!"

Bo looked out the door to see one of the men from the Starr riding up.

"In here." He called from inside the house where he was looking at the opposite wall remembering Scarlet was always bugging for a window so she didn't have to stand in the kitchen to see the barn.

Travis had planned to put one so they could sit by the fireplace and see the horses and a window in the bedroom too. The shutters were out in the barn loft. Only thing that needed doing was the hole and finishing work in the wall.

"Johnny sent me ta git ya."

Bo turned and walked onto the porch. "What's he want."

"Some soldier put his gear on Phantom and came riding into the Starr."

Bo was shocked at first then irritated. "How'd somebody catch him and who'd be stupid or desperate enough to ride 'im." He mumbled walking out the door.

"Hey Fritz ya comin'?" The rider called to him.

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2005, 09:03:25 AM »

Ella climbed into Diamond's saddle after tying the carpetbag on behind, and Rose handed her the reins.

Scarlet didn't wait any longer, and told Lucky to go. Diamond was ready to run as well.

Those watching saw Ella and Scarlet racing away side-by-side.

Originally posted by Tensleep

As Scarlet rushed out the door Tensleep was on her heels. He ran to the office and grabbed for his gunbelt. Swinging it around his hips and fastening it he was moving to the rifle rack. The Winchester Yellowboy was in his hands and a saddlebag of rounds over his shoulder in seconds.

The marshal picked up his bedroll and hat going out the door.

One of the hands had seen Tensleep racing to the office and had brought Buck from the stall and was settling Ross' saddle on the tan and black.

In minutes Tensleep Ross was on the trail of his deputies, his lips moved as he said a Shosone prayer for the woman he loved.

William Curtis McDowell looked carefully at the papers that had recently arrived in the mail from Washington. Jacob Perkins’s patent for an ice-making machine was forty years old but so far nobody had seriously tried to improve the original design. It worked well enough; it had even been used back in the 40s to help cool the wards of yellow fever patients. The idea still had some considerable drawbacks. The first thing Bill intended to do was get away from using the explosive and flammable either as the cooling medium in the heat exchanger coils.

The theoretical physics of gases had been a bit of a struggle. Most of Sadi Carnot’s work had been translated into English and Ella and Patches had been able to help him with the few that were still only available in French. Fortunately James Maxwell’s papers were all published in English and the recent one on theoretical thermodynamics by Boltzmann was in German. Bill tightened the connections on the copper tubing where it connected to the pump. Amonia was toxic and corrosive but fortunately it was not flammable and the smell generally drove anyone away before they got a good lung-full. With luck they could have iced lemonade for the weddings. He grinned to himself as he thought of Patches hard at work in the telegraph office. “Giddy” was not a word he normally would apply to her but for the last several weeks it certainly seemed to fit.

The commotion from outside his workshop brought him out of his reverie. Someone was calling his name at the top of their lungs. As he wiped the grease off his hands, Rose burst through the doorway at the South end of the shop. “Bill, Ella just left. She said to tell you that there’s been some sort of battle at the big dry wash on the edge of the ranch. I’ve already got a couple of the hands loading the wagon and Bunsen and Plato are harnessed up. She said she needed you to help as soon as you could get there.”

“Thank-you Rose,” Bill said tossing the rag onto his desk as he headed for the door that connected the workshop to his adobe house. “Please, tell them to bring the wagon to the loading shed and I’ll meet them there,” he called over his shoulder. He would have to stop and explain what had happened to Patches if someone else had not already gotten there before him. Regardless of the need for his presence somewhere else, he had to make sure that he personally would tell her that he was leaving. It had not been too long ago that he would not even dared be more than a few feet away from her at any time. He shook his head to clear the thoughts of how badly she had been injured only a few months ago this spring. She had mended and now there was going to be a wedding. In spite of alert from Rose, Bill smiled as he rapidly walked toward the telegraph office carrying his gear with him.

The loading shed had been the next logical step beyond pre-packing carpetbags to have at the ready at any time. When Bill arrived, his large wagon sat at one end of the shed with the doors at both ends open. Bill thanked the man holding the team and climbed into the seat. He looked back to check the contents of the bed of the wagon. Firewood and water containers filled roughly the last third of the wagon. Bill twitched the reins and the two mules began to walk forward through the shed.

“General tools and first aid,” he called out to the man who had been holding the team. At this instruction the fellow removed a counterweighted rope from where it had been tied at the side of the shed and a wooden box the width of the wagon dropped down into place behind the seat. In less than two minutes the wagon was fully loaded with supplies and the boxes were latched into place. Bill flipped the reins once more and headed for the gate to the ranch.

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2005, 10:31:31 AM »

He’d heard the shot…why hadn’t he reacted?

Fritz was polishing the dining room table. After the years of grime were scraped away, a decent oak tabletop was discovered. With a little elbow grease, he could almost see his reflection in the surface. The shot should’ve startled him, but it didn’t…why?

Perhaps he’d become accustomed to gunfire. All the war years, the frontier, Mexico, and now with the posse. Maybe it was Rose or Ella, foraging for tonight’s supper. Both were pretty handy with a gun. A signal? Had one of the sentries seen something? If so, why no shot in response?

Scarlet…?

Fritz dropped the dirty rag and scooped up his gun belt He barely heard Bo saying “are you comin?” as he moved out the door. Buddy turned his head expectantly. Fritz untied the reins from the hitching post, noting that none of his long guns were on the saddle. He’d remedy that, once they got back to the Starr…if they had time.

Bo and Fritz rode hard, heading towards the Starr. As they came in, Fritz saw Scarlet and Ella riding out hard. He turned in the saddle. “I’m going after her! Go in and find out what happened!” Bo nodded, and drew his Winchester from its scabbard. He tossed it over. Fritz moved the reins to his left hand and caught it. He’d thank Bo later. Maybe much later.

…did he have a best man?

Becca said a prayer as she watched Scarlet ride off then looked around her. The first thing she decided was the men needed water. She took the canteen and the empty bottle from her saddle bags and rode down to the river. She knew it would take several trips to the river before any help would arrive.

Looking over her shoulder she spotted Mr. Dawg watching her fill the canteen with interest. She half smiled and called him over. Becca put the strap of the canteen in Mr. Dawg’s mouth then took his paw and put it on the canteen shoving it down until the bubbles stopped coming. She was pleased he was such a fast learner.

Rebecca walked among the soldiers with the canteen giving water to those who were awake, Mr. Dawg following her quietly watching.

She stopped again at the young boy who again took hold of Mr. Dawg’s fur.
“Mr. Dawg this is Wolf Song.” She said.

The boy smiled best he could when Mr. Dawg held out his paw to shake. Becca smiled then wiped her face against her shoulder before offering him more water.

“What ya doin lady?”

The voice behind Becca startled her, her head whipped around looking for where the voice came from.

“I’m not drinkin after that heathen. Why don’t you just leave him to die with that other one.”

Becca narrowed her eyes at the man that lay not far from where she was.

“If you won’t drink after him you won’t drink at all.” She spat.

“What are ya an injun lover? Haven’t you seen what they do to women like you? Do yourself a favor and kill ‘em why you have the chance.”

“What has he done to you?” Becca growled.

“Look around ya.”

“You see who did this to you?” She asked.

The man lay quiet.

“I didn’t think so. At least he doesn’t accuse you of doing this to him. He says they were white but not like you.”

“What are you one of ‘em.?” The soldier said sarcastically.

“Leave her alone.” Came another voice.

Becca stood and went to the second man.

“I know you.” She said softly as she took the bloody hand he held towards her.

“Yes ma’am. You have the prettiest voice I’ve ever heard. Never imagined seein’ ya out here.”

Rebecca smiled while she held his head so he could take a drink.

“Will you sing for me ma’am?”

Rebecca sat holding his had and sang to him for a short time. After he drew his last breath she took his coat and covered his face.

It seemed like Scarlet had been gone forever.

Mr. Dawg suddenly let out a low bark and trotted to the top of the hill. He let out two more loud barks before running back to Becca.

“I hope by the way you’re acting that’s Scarlet with help.”

If Ella had told Scarlet she was holding her breath for the entire ride she would have believed her. Mostly she was worried about leaving Becca behind, most people would have worried about the Indians coming. Scarlet was more worried about the Calvary or the outlaws returning.

Hearing Mr. Dawg’s bark Scarlet finally took the first breath she was aware of since she’d left Becca. Scarlet looked over her shoulder as the two horses toped the wash. She could see Fritz not to far behind, behind him dust she hoped was others following from the Starr.

Ella had started down the other side towards the men. When Scarlet was sure Fritz had seen where they’d gone she followed.

"Donnerwetter!" exclaimed Ella as she saw the battlefield.

She swung down from the saddle next to where Becca was.

"I hope ya ain't not another Injun lover," grumbled a man over behind Becca.

Ella ignored him, since anyone in condition to talk was probably not in immediate danger.

Scarlet joined her a moment later.

"Becca and Scarlet, I need you to bandage the men after I have checked them." She opened the carpetbag and pulled out two handfuls of pocket kits. "Use the disinfectant in the bottle on a piece of linen to clean the wound, sprinkle on the powder, cover with another piece of linen, then wrap it up. I'll worry about extracting bullets later, and I'll leave any amputations to the Army surgeon."

Becca pulled Ella over to Blue Feather, who was still barely alive.

"I'm sorry, Becca, I can't do anything for him right now."

"Why not?" cried Becca.

"He is bandaged up well enough for now. I have to find who needs my help worst, so I can treat the weakest ones first," replied Ella firmly. "Now come."

And Ella led the way through the fallen, remembering the times she had been one of the followers, either following her uncle and assisting her aunt, or following Dr. Alan and bandaging soldiers before they were picked up by the ambulance.

Before he crossed the rise, Fritz smelled death on the wind. Though it was no one's friend, it was a constant companion. He levered the action of the '73, expecting the worst. He wasn't disappointed.

The scene below was similiar to those he saw in the valley in '64. Blood screamed from the ground. The moans and cries of dying men. Ella was already tending to the troopers. There was 'Becca, dwarfed by Scarlet's gunbelt, right in the thick of things. Dawg was carrying a canteen to the wounded...what an amazing animal. Scarlet walked from man to man, asking names and giving comfort.

Fritz dismounted, looking for chevrons. He found them, on a scalped corporal. It was a messy job; messier than usual it seemed. He searched the man's sack coat for orders...none.

"Damn," Fritz said, to no one in particular.

"You're him, ain't ya?" A voice came weakly.

Fritz turned. A trooper was trying to sit up. He kneeled to help him.

"What do you mean?" Fritz asked

"You're King...the First Sergeant that told the Old Man off."

He chucked. "You heard wrong, son...but that's me."

The boy coughed. Blood came up. Not good. "Wish you were with us today."

"What's your name Trooper, and what are your orders?"

"Name's John Smith Sergeant," the boy replied. It was common for a man to flee troubles in the East, and start with a new name. At least he could've picked a better one.

"We were picking up some horses, eight men from I Company plus our Corporal. We were jumped..."

The boy fell silent.

"ELLA!!!" Fritz screamed. "I NEED YOU!!!"

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2005, 10:06:06 AM »

Ella turned when Fritz called her name. He was standing by the only soldier she hadn't checked yet, so she hurried over.

"He was telling me what happened," explained Fritz. "We need his information."

Ella checked the soldier, who was really only a boy. His leg wounds were the same as everyone else's. The chest wound was threatening to kill him.

"Fritz, get some canvas around him for a windbreak. I need to operate on him," ordered Ella.

As Fritz left to find a windbreak, Ella pulled what she needed out of her pockets, and started working.

As he worked, he looked around at the men. No horses, except the lame and wounded. The troopers were shot in the legs and abdomen. Not immediately fatal, but without treatment, surely so. No guns or ammo, except for what Scarlet was wearing. That trooper must've hidden his.

Why did the attackers leave live witnesses? They'd have been better off killing the entire patrol. Nothing made sense. He hoped Ella could save that young soldier.

One way or another, he'd get to the bottom of this.

Ella came out from behind the windbreak, wiping her hands on a cloth.
"Frtiz, he's stable for now, but sleeping. I need to go deal with the other critical case, a member of Becca's tribe. It looks like someone shot all of the troopers out of their saddles with belly shots or shoulder shots, then went around and shot them all in the leg to make sure they couldn't go anywhere, and dumped two wounded Indian boys and a dead Indian man into the mix. At least one trooper thinks that the attackers were Indians. Scarlet says that can't be right, because Indians would not have left their dead or wounded behind. Maybe Tensleep will find some clues on his perimeter patrol."

She ran over to Blue Feather, who was still alive. His wounds were already showing signs of infection, as though he had been wounded a day before the troopers.

Scarlet stood at the edge of the “battlefield” looking at all the horses’ tracks, all but three horses wore shoes. That reassured her the soldiers had not been attacked by any Indians she was familiar with. When Black Wolf acquired horses with shoes he pulled them.

“Good luck convincing the Colonel it wasn’t Comanche’s when three of them lay behind me.” She thought to herself.

The fact that Colonel Troutman had not been able to find the Indians that lived in Devil’s Mountain ate at him every day and she knew it.

“They all belong locked up or dead, what is she doing trying to save that heathen?” The soldier grumbled.

Scarlet narrowed her eyes and shot him a cold look over her shoulder.

Hoping if she asked Sean some different questions she might find something out she started towards him.

"I'm more important than some dead redskin. What about helping me?" The soldier said.

He recognized the Comanche language but had no idea what she’d said to him when she went buy. By the look on the other brunet’s face it must have been some kind of insult.

“Oh so you won’t even say it in a language I can understand?”

“Stop yer bellyaching Andrews.” Sean said.

Scarlet stopped in her tracks, turned and looked at the man.

“I said it’s a shame they didn’t take your tongue while they had the chance.” She said coldly then continued on her way.

Scarlet sat next to Sean. “Can you tell me anything that will help me?”

Sean sighed. “Your right about Andrews.” He whispered so nobody else heard.

Scarlet chuckled softly. “Anything else?”

“No, I was bringing up the rear. I heard….it was loud…..the horses nearly ran us down, tried to take cover. They must’ve been waiting over here too. It was like we rode into the middle of it…….I’m sorry Scarlet, maybe one of the men riding lead could tell you something. How’s my horse?”

“She’ll be ok Sean, probably ready to ride before you.”

“Where were you when everything happened?” Scarlet asked trying to find a place to start putting the puzzle together.

"Becca, I need you to translate for me," said Ella, rising from where she had been cleaning and binding Blue Feather's wounds. "I need to extract a bullet from one of Wolf Song's wounds. Blue Feather is starting to be fevered. I need Wolf Song to watch over Blue Feather and talk to him, to keep him tied to life until the fever passes."

“Alright Ella.” Becca replied.

Rebecca walked over to the boy and kneeled down. Taking his hands she started to tell him what Ella had asked. Pointing to his wounds she told him what Ella intended to do.

Wolf Song eyed Ella for a moment. Both women could see a bit of fear behind the brave little eyes. Then he spoke.

“He says they already talk of you around the campfire, now he will have better stories than Grey Eagle.” Becca said smiling trying to hide her own fear for the boys. “He also asks for his spirit guide to watch over him and Blue Feather while you remove the bullets.”

Rebecca turned to look for Mr. Dawg. She suppressed a smile as the large dog made his way towards them as if some how he had understood the boys request.

“Do you want me to bring him over there Ella?” Becca asked.

"Dawg is his spirit guide?" asked Ella. "Okay, bring him over here, if it will help the boys."

She looked at the boy to estimate his weight, and carefully measured a small dose of laudanum into a cup and added water, and gave it to the boy to drink. With doubtful eyes, he drank.

While the sedative was taking effect, Ella pulled the necessary tools out of her pockets. Once Dawg was in place with one paw on the boy's shoulder, she went to work.

The boy flinched a few times, and probably pulled Dawg's fur a bit while clenching his fists, but the bullets were soon extracted and the wounds cleaned thoroughly before being bandaged.

"All done," said Ella, stowing everything back into her pockets. "Becca, tell him that he made it easier for me by being very brave."

She stood, and went to work on Sean.

Scarlet stood when she saw Ella coming.

"Guess it's your turn soldier." She smiled at Sean.

"You leavin' me in good hands?" Sean was trying his best to stay in good humor.

Scarlet looked at Ella than back to Sean. "Trust her with Lucky's life Sean." She replied then headed off to check out the area Sean had told her they were first attacked at. Hoping to find out how many riders they might be up against or any other useful information she could figure out while she was waiting for Tensleep to get there.

"Guess I'm in good hands." He said looking at Ella.

"I'll do my best," replied Ella with a gentle smile. "You are one of the lucky ones - only one bullet stayed in you, and you didn't get any shattered bones. It will hurt when I get the bullet out and clean your wounds again. Do you want morphine or chloroform to make you sleep through it?"

"If that little Indian boy didn't need to sleep through it, I don't need to," answered Sean bravely.

"Okay, then." And Ella set to work.

When she was done, she sighed, "I guess I have to treat Andrews now."

Andrews started grumbling as soon as she headed over to him. "Injun lovers, all of ya. Leaving honest Christian men to rot while ya fuss over a couple murdering redskins."

"Andrews, you will keep a civil tongue in your head, or I will leave you to rot until the Army surgeon gets here. And based on my experience of most Army surgeons during the War, he'd rather just cut off both your legs than treat the bullet wounds."

"Ya can't have been in the War, yer too young," replied Andrews doubtfully.

"I went with my aunt and uncle to serve in the hospitals when I was 13," replied Ella. "Sergeant King was one of my patients after Cold Harbor."

Andrews thought a moment and said politely, "Please treat my wounds, Missus."

By the time Dr. Bill got the wagon to the site of the battle Ella had things well in hand. He pulled the team in close to where she had set up camp, opened the tailgate and kicked the bundles of wood off the wagon. With a little coal oil to start the fire he soon had a good sized pot of water heating on the fire for washing. If it got hot enough it would be useful for boiling any surgical instruments that needed to be reused.

He pulled the first bag out of the first aid box and carried it over to Ella. "I got here as soon as I could. This one has extra sterile bandages, instruments, and so forth. I’ve got more morphine, chloroform, dilute carbolic acid, and other supplies in the wagon. Though I’m not sure we’re going to need much more,” he added looking over the devastation. “Any idea who did this?” he asked.

"Scarlet and Fritz have been questioning the troopers. I think Tensleep has been riding the perimeter looking for clues. I don't know what they have found out yet," replied Ella. "Whoever went through to take the supplies and equipment shot every trooper in one or both legs. Some of those bullets broke bones."

She shook her head sadly, "We can set and splint them, and hope for the best. If the bones don't start healing cleanly, the army surgeon can deal with any amputations later."

She led Bill over to one young trooper. His leg was bandaged, but Bill could see the distortion in the thigh.

"Samuels, this is Doctor McDowell. We're going to set your leg now. It will be easier to do if you are asleep, so I'm going to give you chloroform to make you sleep," Ella told the trooper soothingly while Bill went back to the wagon for splints. She laid a piece of gauze over his nose and mouth and carefully dripped chloroform onto it. "Now just breathe deeply," she urged him, while keeping one finger on the pulse in his neck.

Once he was unconscious, Bill held him motionless while Ella pulled and rotated his leg until she felt the bones click back into alignment. Then Bill tied the splint into place while Ella held the leg.

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2005, 09:27:59 PM »
Scarlet had been on both sides of an ambush often enough she could see what had happened by the hoof prints. The slide marks and flat spot told her one of the horses had fallen trying to scramble up the side of the hill, the footprints told her it was most likely one of the Army horses. She didn’t have to close her eyes to hear the screams of men and horses trying to escape dynamite blast.

From where she sat she could see Johnny and Tensleep looking around where the outlaws must have been hiding.

As Scarlet rode back to the camp she wondered if the outlaws would be the type to keep riding or would they hang around to see what the results would be of their ambush.

She pulled Lucky to a stop next to where Rebecca sat and slid off of him.

Rebecca looked over her shoulder, noticing how Scarlet was adjusting her gear as she placed it neatly on the ground next to him. Rebecca knew by the way Scarlet’s gear was placed she could have the horse saddled and be on his back in seconds.

Scarlet said nothing as she brushed her horse and watched Rebecca talk softly to Wolf Song until he feel back to sleep.

“I was never any good at this…….being surrounded by death I mean.” Rebecca said softly looking up at her friend. “You’ve always seemed to take it in stride….like you were comfortable with it.”

Scarlet looked at her horse. His hair shined like he was ready for a presentation to royalty. “I just find things to occupy my mind.” She said sitting next to Rebecca. “You have always been better at the comforting part.”

Rebecca took a ragged breath. “I’m scared for them Scarlet. What do you suggest I do for that?”

“You take a moment for yourself. Get some air, I will watch the boys.” Scarlet said.

Rebecca stood and walked quietly. Although it seemed like she’d been running since she arrived here it felt good to just walk for a moment.

Scarlet watched her friend go thinking of what she could do next keep herself occupied, soon she was cleaning Sean’s pistol.

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2005, 11:16:36 PM »
Three broken bones later, Ella stretched and said, "That's all we can do medically.  Let's get camp set up.  We need a big tent for all the troopers and a smaller tent for the boys.  Blue Feather is likely to be fevered tonight, and might disturb the troopers with delirium."

Bill heard what Ella didn't say - that the presence of the boys would remind the troopers that they had been attacked by Indians.

They walked back over to the wagon where Ella took charge of the cookware to start soup for supper.
Elegant Ella

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2005, 08:56:10 PM »
There was a certain nervous energy about the camp.  Fritz couldn’t quite put his finger on it.  Perhaps it was the darkness creeping in...Or maybe the inexperienced troopers voicing their concerns.  Lord knows they hadn’t seen as much as he had...as much as this posse had.  He hoped they never would.  But war and death came like old friends…often unannounced.

He knew there were enough men and guns to man this perimeter.  Bill always had a few toys handy that were excellent combat multipliers.  They didn’t need him here.  And as the senior soldier present, he had to take care of his men.

Fritz walked over to Scarlet, who was just pushing the cylinder pin back into her borrowed Colt.

“Think you can handle this bunch?”
He could hear the cylinder spinning in the semi-dark.  “You know I can,” she replied, as she screwed the pin in place.  “What’s on your mind?”

“Someone has to tell the fort that the patrol is down.  If not, they’ll send reinforcements in the morning.”

Scarlet stood, reloading the revolver.  “I don’t like the odds,” she said.  “You don’t know what you’re up against.”  There was concern in her voice.

He put his hands on her shoulders.  “It’s my responsibility,” Fritz said simply.  “I’m still a soldier, despite the fact that I don’t always wear the uniform.”

“Do you really think he’ll listen to you?”  Considering his most recent run-in with Colonel Troutman, he wasn’t sure.

“I’ll have to take my chances.”  He kissed Scarlet gently.  She hugged Fritz fiercely.

“You better come back in one piece!” she chided.

Fritz grabbed his borrowed Winchester and mounted Buddy.

“I will,” he replied.

As Fritz rode out of camp, he whispered, “I hope.”       

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2005, 09:19:55 PM »
Fritz rode through the night.  He didn’t fear it, as he knew they would.  Men like that would be holed up somewhere, drinking and whoring.  They’d celebrate their “success,” while good men died in the dark. 

As he rode, Buddy’s hoofbeats echoed across the moonswept landscape.  It sounded as if a whole squadron of cavalry rode with him.  Sometimes, on nights like these, he heard their voices across the void.  Men who’d fought and died with him from the Plains to Appomattox and back.  Fritz knew he’d join them one day...

...but not tonight.

Fritz topped the rise, and caught the light of the fort.  He slowed Buddy to a trot, the a walk.  When he was within 200 yards, a voice called out, “Halt!  Identify yourself!”  Fritz heard the metallic click of hammers pulled back into battery.

“First Serge...damn.  Sergeant Fritz King to see Colonel Troutman!”

The Officer of the Day called back, “Stand and be recognized!”

The gates opened, and a young lieutenant stepped from the gloom.  Two sentries stood at either side, their Springfield rifles trained at Fritz’ midsection.

“You’re out of uniform Sergeant.  State your business.”

“Sir, I have information about one of your patrols.  I need to see the Colonel immediately.”

The young man laughed.  “If you think I’m gonna wake the old man for you, you’re crazy.”

Fritz dropped from the saddle and stood toe-to-toe with the man. 

“Listen sir, your patrol is down, men are dead and dying, and I DON’T HAVE TIME TO BE JERKED AROUND!!!”  The lieutenant instinctively stepped back.

“Let this man pass,” he said sheepishly.  “Corporal of the Guard, wake the Colonel, and tell him he has a visitor.

The coffee was dark and bitter; probably this morning’s brew.  But Fritz was thankful to get it.  His gauntleted hands held the tin cup, steam rising from it.  The Corporal of the Guard stoked the fire and lit the lamps in Colonel Troutman’s office.  Fritz looked at his watch…10:13 pm.  He hoped Scarlet and the others were okay. 

Exactly thirty minutes later, Colonel Troutman strode into his office, fully dressed.  He purposely ignored Fritz, and closed the door.  Ten minutes later, he heard the Colonel say, “Corporal, send that man in here.”

“I heard him,” Fritz replied.  He stood, removed his hat, and entered the office.  He came to attention and said, “Sergeant King, reporting as ordered, sir.”

Colonel Troutman sat at his desk, shuffling through a stack of papers.  Not looking up, he pointed to a chair in the corner near the stove.  Fritz did as he was bid.

“Now,” Troutman said, “why are you out of uniform?”

Fritz was taken aback.  “Sir, I have informa…”

Troutman cut him off.  “You’re on my post, reporting to my office.  You wake me up in the middle of the night, and you’re not in uniform.  Why?”

Fritz stood and took a deep breath.  “While patrolling with the Marshal’s service, one of our agents found one of your patrols; an eight man unit led by a Corporal.  They’d been ambushed.”

“Where?”

“Just south of Devil’s Mountain” was Fritz’s reply.  “Three of them are dead; two more are in rough shape.  The others should survive with care.  Our doctors are tending them now.”

Troutman slammed his fist on the desktop.  “Damn the Comanche!  We should eradicate them all!”

“Sir, we’re not sure the Comanche conducted the ambush.”

Troutman bellowed “Who else could it be?”

“We don’t know sir,” Fritz replied.  “We’re conducting an investigation as we speak.  Sir, we intend to transport the victims to the Southern Starr.  We have enough facilities to care for the wounded…perhaps even to autopsy the dead.  We’ll have answers for you soon.”

“I’ll send a reconnaissance patrol at first light.  We’ll catch those savages.”  Troutman looked to his paperwork.  “Thank you for the information…that’s all Sergeant.”

Fritz saluted.  The salute wasn‘t returned.

“Sergeant…”

“Yes sir?”

“The next time you conduct business on my post, you’d better be in uniform.”

“Sir,” Fritz said, “I am serving as a Deputy United States Marshal for the Territory.  A uniform could be detrimental to the performance of those duties.”

“Then why are you carrying a military sidearm?”  Troutman pointed at the big Colt on his right hip.  “If you are performing purely civilian duties, you will not use or carry government property.  Surrender your sidearm immediately.”

He couldn’t believe his ears, but he did as he was told.  He’d practiced.  Under Starlet’s tutelage, he’d grown faster.  Troutman nearly fell out of his chair as the big pistol cleared leather.  Fritz quickly reversed his grip, and slammed the revolver squarely on the desk blotter. 

“Request permission to speak candidly, sir,” Fritz said through gritted teeth.

“Granted.”

“This has nothing to do with the current situation.”

The Colonel looked up.  “What do you mean?”

“1864…the Shenandoah,” Fritz said.  “You‘re still mad.”

“What???”

“You’re still mad the Captain Schurmann picked me over you.”

“Liar!” Troutman replied.

“You were a young lieutenant, fresh out of West Point.  You were green.  I’d been with the unit since well before the war.  Captain Schumann didn’t trust you.  It wasn’t personal; it was professional.”

“I don’t want to hear this.”  The Colonel peered at his paperwork.

“Sam,” Fritz said, “I’m not here to steal your command.  That was then…this is now.  I have two years to go and then I’m done.  I want to serve those years honorably.  Let us do our jobs.  Keep your patrols away from Devil’s mountain for twenty four hours.  If we don’t have an answer for you by then, it’s your call.”

Troutman asked, “Are you done?”

“That’s all sir.”

“Then get the hell out of my office.”

Fritz closed the door as he left.

Troutman stared at the revolver.   

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2005, 07:28:34 PM »
Rebecca had helped in every way she possibly could. Now the tents were up and the patients resting as comfortable as they possibly could. She had run out of things to occupy herself with so she paced in front of the boys tent.

Mr. Dawg yawned as his eyes followed her back and forth.

“What are you watching for?” She finally asked Scarlet, who after doing all she could too help had come back and sat at the back corner of the tent.

“Anything that moves.” Scarlet said softly as she watched Lucky pin his ears at Rebecca. “You need to wipe that thought out of your mind.”

Rebecca looked at her friend who hadn’t even looked her way. “What thought?”

“Blue feather is in no shape to ride.” Scarlet said as a matter of factly as she turned to her friend. “Ella says so.”

A look of defeat crossed Rebecca’s face.

“You know Black Wolf will want the life of the man who took his brother’s.” Rebecca watched Scarlet closely. “but that is not what worries you and the comment about Blue Feather. I’m not the only one that is thinking disappearing into the darkness would be a good thing.”
Scarlet said nothing but the look on her face told Rebecca she was right.

“You think that Colonel will use the boys to flush Black Wolf out?”

Scarlet stood. “If his man Fields doesn’t kill them first.” He was the one man she knew of that hated Indians more than Troutman.

“So what you’re saying is Blue Feather could die if we move him or they can die if they stay. Hell of a choice don’t you think Scarlet.”

Scarlet looked at her friend who stood in front of her wearing Scarlet’s gun rig. Rebecca Valentine was a fighter when she had to be or when somebody pushed her far enough; and a good one at that. Scarlet could remember a time when Rebecca would close her eyes before she pulled the trigger, but it hadn’t taken her long to stop that. She’d followed Scarlet through hell and back because she was the only friend Becca had at the time. Looking at her now Scarlet new Becca would trade her life for that of the boy that lay inside.

“Here comes just the person we need to talk to.” Scarlet said seeing Ella approach.

“Ella I think it would be a good idea to take the boys home. Before the other soldiers arrive. If you thought Blue Feather could be moved we’d go now.” Scarlet said softly.

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2005, 09:06:24 PM »
"He cannot travel now.  He needs too much help fighting fever.  If he lives through the night, we can load him into the wagon with Wolf Song and send them off at first light.  Doctor Bill can drive, and Becca can come along to translate," answered Ella.  "Wolf Song actually can ride, but only for short periods of time, so it would be better to have Wolf Song help Blue Feather in the wagon."

She sighed, "I had planned to use Doctor Bill as a front for talking to army medical personnel who show up to take charge of the troopers, but he's the best one to drive.  He ought to be able to talk a army patrol out of searching his wagon." 

A yell from inside the tent interrupted her.  "Speaking of fever," Ella said, ducking into the tent, followed by Becca and Scarlet.  Blue Feather was thrashing around, alternately moaning and yelling.  Wolf Song was trying to soothe him but looked relieved at Ella's entrance.  She touched his brow.  "One of you, please fetch a pan of cold water.  The other one, translate for me," she ordered, pulling bottles and tins out of her pockets.  "Wolf Song, please help me give him this medicine.  It will reduce his fever.  When a pan of cold water gets here, we are going to wash him with it to help pull the fever out."
Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2005, 11:57:01 AM »
Becca ducked inside the tent with Ella while Scarlet went for the cold water.

Rebecca listened to Blue Feathers ramblings for a moment.

Ella could hear him repeat the same words over a few times.

“He speaks of an evil spirit that has taken the form of a man with white eyes and hair.”

Becca took the boys hand and tried to tell him he was safe from the spirit here. When he quieted for a moment Rebecca looked back to Ella.

“If you need Dr. Bill here what about Johnny, he could drive the wagon. If we were to take the boys back to the ranch. I doubt the soldiers would try to stop him on his own place. I’m afraid we couldn’t get him all the way to his own home in a wagon. He’d have to travel the last part travois.”

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2005, 12:21:32 PM »
"Johnny would be a good choice for driving the wagon.  I think Blue Feather is better off at the Starr for the next week or so, until he heals enough to ride," Ella paused in thought, then continued.  "Although that is only my arrogance talking, and wanting him in my care instead of trusting him to his own people.  I know the kind of medicine the army doctor probably practices, and don't think much of it.  But I don't know what Black Wolf's healers can do.  My grandmother's learning came from her Indian grandmother as well as her doctor husband.  Will you teach me their language, so that I might go study with their healer sometime?"
Elegant Ella

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com