Special Interests - Groups & Societies > Cosie's Corner & Feed Bag

Edible Gluten Free Bread

(1/2) > >>

Professor Marvel:
Whilst not technically Cowboyish, after many years of trying I have finally achieved a loaf of edible Gluten Free Bread!

I made gluten free/egg free/dairy free/nut free bread that rose a little (barely doubled) and while it is dense, it tastes good and can be chewed easily!

It is actually reminiscent of Luempa or somesort of dense European bread. Easily cut, doesn't crumble, Slightly sweet, and tiny bubbles showing that it rose, as opposed to sticky goo like a fig Newtons.

I did cheat, I tried Pamelas Mix.

https://www.pamelasproducts.com/products/gluten-free-bread-mix

One of the hardest things is to get a DIY flour mixture to work, rise, taste good, be edible....

They have a winning corn free, GF, dairy free, soy free, nut free great flour mixture here!

Sorghum Flour, Tapioca Flour, White Rice Flour, Sweet Rice Flour, Brown Rice Flour, Evaporated Cane Sugar, Inulin, Millet Flour, Honey, Rice Bran, Sea Salt, Xanthan Gum, Yeast Packet (active dry yeast).

I will buy a case of this stuff, then maybe buy some stock in the company...

I am going to try to mix the yeast with warm water and a teaspoon of sugar to get more rising...

You have no idea what a Christmas gift this will be to be able to eat sandwiches again...

And make edible burger buns...

Now for the cake mix test!

Christmas Cake!

Mogorilla:
Thanks, will have to give this a try.   I do not need gluten free, but tend to feel better when I do not eat it.  I typically eat Ezekial bread, which has some gluten and it is really only good toasted.  I have friends who need to be gluten free, I will give this a try and treat them.

River Rat:
I got some Pamela’s mix to try after reading Professor Marvel’s post and checking some other online reviews. Makes delicious bread! Texture and smell are just like regular bread. The taste is slightly different but very good nonetheless. With a little butter or jam I’m hard-pressed to tell it from traditional wheat-based bread. I use warm water to mix and add regular active dry yeast and have found that letting the dough sit 90 minutes or more allows it to rise nicely.

Advertising:

Professor Marvel:

--- Quote from: River Rat on January 21, 2024, 01:50:53 PM ---I got some Pamela’s mix to try after reading Professor Marvel’s post and checking some other online reviews. Makes delicious bread! Texture and smell are just like regular bread. The taste is slightly different but very good nonetheless. With a little butter or jam I’m hard-pressed to tell it from traditional wheat-based bread. I use warm water to mix and add regular active dry yeast and have found that letting the dough sit 90 minutes or more allows it to rise nicely.

--- End quote ---

Why thank you my good Rat!

I have also found that warm ( ~ 110 deg F ) water and a 90 min rise in the oven set at ~ 100 to 110 deg F ( oddly the dang computerized oven has a "proof " setting) leads to a more hormonious risen bread.

I am *still* trying to make dinner biscuits that do not fall apart...

yhs
prof mumbles

Coffinmaker:

:) Perfesser  ;)

When you get those "Burger Buns" working, don't forget the Grilled Sweet Onions  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version