Special Interests - Groups & Societies > 1860 Henry

New rifle coming!

(1/9) > >>

Tuolumne Lawman:
Just got notified by my local gunshop that Cimarron shipped me an 1866 Carbine in .44-40.  Starting Commiefornia 10 day jail on it.  When asked a couple months ago what I would like to do my next Cowboy Chronicle article on, I said "How about an 1866 saddle ring carbine in .44 WCF.  Low and behold, it has arrived!

In the last 25 years, I have had a couple 1866 24" rifles in a couple calibers, and a 20" short rifle or two.  A light, handy 1866 carbine, however, has eluded me until now.  Unfortunately, I wish it was going to be the price they were 20 years ago, rather than the inflated north of $1,000 price they get now! It will be interesting to compare it against my HRA 1860 Henry 44-40.  It is dead accurate, and I always shoot clean, including clay pigeons on the 25 yard berm....

mtmarfield:
      Greetings!

Keep us posted on that!

M.T.Marfield

Coffinmaker:

:)  Hey TL   ;)

Really really curious if you actually get one with Saddle Ring.  Some recent production may prevent installing the Staple.

Advertising:

Abilene:

--- Quote from: Coffinmaker on June 27, 2020, 09:20:13 AM --- :)  Hey TL   ;)

Really really curious if you actually get one with Saddle Ring.  Some recent production may prevent installing the Staple.

--- End quote ---

Looking at a Cimarron inventory list, every caliber of 19" '66 is supposed to have the saddle ring.  Guess we'll find out.

Tuolumne Lawman:
I think I really got interested in an 1866 Carbine when I found an 1866 receiver in an antique shop in a ghost town south of Bodie, CA.  It had rusted remains of barrel on it.  Charley Gullet, who use to be on this forum back in the day had me pick it up for him, and hew actually restored it to .44 Henry centerfire over the period of a couple years.  Then when I saw the nephew in Broken Trail handing out justice to the bad guys with his 66 carbine, it made me put a 66 carbine on my short list...

Realistically, if I had been a Henry toting lawman in the 1860s and 1870s, at some point I would have switched to a 1866 carbine for horseback use.  For a static position, the Henry 16 shooter would rock, but a horseman needs a handier rifle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version