Special Interests - Groups & Societies > Marlin Lever Action Rifles

2017 1894CB .45 Colt Remlin.

(1/3) > >>

Drydock:
Just picked this up, brand new in the box, never fired.  Action is stiff, needs a good clean and oil, but fully functional.  Decent wood with good grain.  Even brushed satin blue on flat surfaces.  Good sharp edges on the barrel flats.

No gloss or shine anywhere.  Not a show piece, but nothing to attract the attention of an enemy in the field either.  We'll see what oil, sweat and powder does to it.

Drydock:
Touch of BLO shows a VERY nice piece of walnut.  Action was bone dry, Ballistol slicked it up quite a bit.  Feeds .45 Colt just fine, does not like S&W brass.  Extractor is not cut deep enough for the wider rim.

Drydock:
Out on the farm today, shot one hole groups at 25 yards with my handloads (230 Lee TC over Red Dot).  Elevation was on at this range, a bit left, need to drift the front sight.  No hiccups in feeding.  Don't really feel the need to modify this in any way right now, unless I open up the extractor for the S&Ws.  I did take a finish file to the sharp edge of the elevator cam, bit of preventative maintenance. 

I like it, am well satisfied.

Advertising:

Navy Six:
Glad to hear you are satisfied with the new Marlin. I swore I'd never get another lever gun in 45 Colt after my early SASS experience with Uberti 66/73s in that caliber using blackpowder. However, I now have more 45 Colt brass than I could ever shoot from my pistols(did I just say that?) and have had good luck with two Marlins in 38/357, again using blackpowder. So maybe I will give the 45 Colt one more chance if I come across a Marlin.

Drydock:
One of the reasons for a Marlin for me is the ease of cleaning BP fouling from the breach.  Heavy bullets and full charges.  Avoid SASSLite loads.  Never had a problem with mine.  (I began SASS with a Marlin 1894s .45 Colt Micro Groove back in 89.  Worked great, wish I still had it.  They only made 984 of the things.  Did not know that when I let a friend persuade me to sell it to him.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version