Special Interests - Groups & Societies > Colt Long Gun Clones

How good/bad is the current Pedersoli Lightning?

(1/5) > >>

LonesomePigeon:
Does anybody have any info on recent Pedersoli Lightning rifles in .44-40? The thread below on 'who makes the best Lightning' is from 2014, I'm wondering if more current info is available. If I got one it would be mainly for plinking and target shooting, not really looking to race it.

c.o.jones:
I USED TO OWN ONE. SOLD IT A LOSS AFTER ONE MONTH. TOO MANY PROBLEMS TO LIST.

LonesomePigeon:
Well, I got my Pedersoli Lightning Rifle .44-40. I have put about 20 round each of Hornady and Magtech cowboy loads through it. The Magtech seemed the most accurate with 5 shots making one big hole at 25 yards. Both hit about 6" high and and inch or two left at 25 yards. At 50 yards it hit higher still. Groups were not very good at 50 but it was getting dark by that time and hard to see the sights. I think they are sighted for 100 yrds because I was able to hit a 12" plate at 100 yards several times offhand. I think the rifle will be capable of good accuracy once I get the sights adjusted.

Now the problems. There were 3 or 4 light primer strikes where the rounds failed to fire on the first strike but did fire on the second strike. I have a pdf by Roger Rapid that includes how to fix light primer strikes and I think I will be able to deal with it. The other problem was that sometimes it failed to chamber a round. I pumped the action and no round fed into the chamber. I pumped it again and the round went into the chamber. This happened about 3 or 4 times. Does anybody know what causes this?

Advertising:

Coal Creek Griff:
I appreciate your reports.  A Lightning of some type is on my long-term wish list, but I'm not sure that I'm willing to risk it.  In the meantime, I read about other's experiences with interest.

CC Griff

Abilene:
Pettifogger has a lot of knowledge and experience with the various Lightnings, but I don't think he's been around here much lately.  I suggest sending him a PM.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version