Special Interests - Groups & Societies > Colt Firearms

Correct bullet size for 3rd gen. SAA?

(1/2) > >>

jphendren:
I have a 3rd gen. Colt SAA that I bought new in 1997.  I am going to be ordering another couple boxes of Goex 45 caliber bullets for loading with black powder to shoot in this revolver.  They offer them in both .452 and .454" diameter.  Would the .454" size be a better fit for a 3rd gen.?  I have read that their cylinder throats are usually .455" or so.  Would the larger size help reduce leading?

Jared

Trailrider:
Although the barrels in the 3rd Gen Colt's have been nominally set at .451-.452" groove diameter, you will probably obtain better accuracy from bullets that most closely fit the chamber throats, which tend to run larger.  I would suggest obtaining a couple of different sized bullets, or even soft lead round balls in .452 and .457.  Drive them through each chamber throat from the rear, using a wooden dowel and a padding of some sort so you don't ding up the front of the cylinder.  (Remove the cylinder from the gun to do this.)  Measure these bullets and see what size the throats are.  Then I'd go .001 over the throat diameters.  If you don't get decent accuracy, you can try smaller or larger bullet sizes.  If you can't do this, then I'd go with the larger bullets and see what happens.  No, you won't blow the gun if the bullets are slightly oversized.  The only possible problem you might encounter with bullets that are too large is whether the cartridges will go into the chambers.

Hope this helps.

Fox Creek Kid:

--- Quote from: Trailrider on April 16, 2010, 10:15:34 AM ---...Then I'd go .001 over the throat diameters...
--- End quote ---

Scientifically impossible. Your best bet is to go chamber throat diameter for bullets.

Advertising:

jphendren:
From what I have read, most modern Colt's have a .451" groove diameter, and .455-.456" cylinder throats which is not ideal.  I have been shooting .451" Goex 235gr bullets from Powder Inc.  They seem to shoot pretty well, but on this last trip my cylinder and barrel took some heavy leading.  So I am not sure if it is because the bullets were undersized allowing hot gas to pass the bullet melting the driving bands, or if it is a lube issue.  Powder Inc. only offers the Goex bullets in two sizes, .451" and .454", which is still too small for a modern Colt cylinder.  I have not measured the throats on my Colt as of yet, but will do so when time permits.

I read a threat elsewhere, where someone asked Colt to build them another cylinder with a removable bushing, and with .452" throats.  Colt did this for free, however, the throats were still the standard .455".

Jared

Fox Creek Kid:

--- Quote from: jphendren on April 17, 2010, 08:25:53 AM ---From what I have read, most modern Colt's have a .451" groove diameter, and .455-.456" cylinder throats which is not ideal.  I have been shooting .451" Goex 235gr bullets from Powder Inc.  They seem to shoot pretty well, but on this last trip my cylinder and barrel took some heavy leading.  So I am not sure if it is because the bullets were undersized allowing hot gas to pass the bullet melting the driving bands, or if it is a lube issue.  Powder Inc. only offers the Goex bullets in two sizes, .451" and .454", which is still too small for a modern Colt cylinder.  I have not measured the throats on my Colt as of yet, but will do so when time permits.

I read a threat elsewhere, where someone asked Colt to build them another cylinder with a removable bushing, and with .452" throats.  Colt did this for free, however, the throats were still the standard .455".

Jared

--- End quote ---

Actually Colt will NOT do this as the original cylinder falls into SAAMI specs. What people who are serious shooters do when faced with this problem is buy a Colt .357 cylinder & have it rechambered to .45 Colt with proper throats to match their specific groove diameter.

My Colt FSS throats were undersized by a hair so I had the chambers & the throats opened up a tad by a ´smith with a 44-40 reamer made to his specs as well as a 0.431 finish reamer. Shoots ragged holes now.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version