Author Topic: Post 2011 Grand Muster Muster guidelines diiscussion  (Read 22083 times)

Offline G.W. Strong

• Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Colonel, Commander of the Department of the Missouri
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • GAF, Department of the Missouri
    • Talbot's Fine Accessories
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Post 2011 Grand Muster Muster guidelines diiscussion
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2011, 10:54:11 PM »
Do they make a shot timer that goes more than about 2 minutes? The ones we have will start agin from zero after that. I guess you could use a combination stopwatch and shot timer, but that's more math than I want to be doing if I'm the scorekeeper.

The free shot timer app for the iphone will run well over 2 minutes. I'm not sure what the limit is. I ran mine for 7 minutes just now and "shot" 90 times. It worked just fine.
George Washington "Hopalong" Strong
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
Good Guy's Posse & Bristol Plains Pistoleros
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2011, 12:20:06 AM »
don't the modern actioon and practical pistol shooters use a hit percentage and hit points type of scoring?
the shot timer is a staple of old west actioln shooting.  without it we lose a connection with the other CAS shooting.  while different and variety are good, starting a completly different game may not be, 
just randome thoughts.
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2011, 07:37:51 AM »
I'm not trying to be contentious here, but why is letting Staff Officer shooters shoot at rifle targets a bad thing?  Also, why would we consider not letting Infantry class shooters shoot at pistol targets?  Especially in the latter case, infantry engaged all targets, whether they be far or near.  In my opinion (and it's only MY opinion), if rifles are causing problems with the pistol targets, your pistol targets are too close.  As far as Staff Officer is concerned, I'd say if they can hit the rifle targets, let them shoot at them.  Maybe you'd have to give them a bonus for all the rifle targets they hit.  Just a thought.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 12:20:59 AM »

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2011, 08:06:52 AM »
I'd say if they can hit the rifle targets, let them shoot at them. 
If they can't and you're using skirmish format, as they move through the targets they will be able to hit them as they get closer.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2011, 09:38:58 AM »
Good point!  The question becomes "Can every range be set up for the skirmish format?"
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2011, 09:55:40 AM »
Of course, all ranges could not be set up for skirmish format.  But the system used at 2011 Grand Muster seems to be a good way for a "standard" CAS range setup to be used, since it emphasizes hits, but still the time is a factor. I believe the timer is still needed, though, otherwise it might become a "slow fire bullseye match" shot wearing uniforms.

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2011, 10:42:47 AM »
Good point!  The question becomes "Can every range be set up for the skirmish format?"
After speaking with Trap, seemed to think they can do the skirmish format there. He said when the club started it was a buckskinning club that did mostly trail walk competitions. If they can do that, I have to believe that they can do a skirmish format, even if it isn't quite the same as the way we do it here.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 471
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2011, 11:59:12 AM »
Not that I want to add to your load, Col., but maybe bring down a sampling of the 'official' steel targets (prone, kneeling and standing) and let's have a combination match of some skirmish-format stages and a Postal match - marksmanship stages shooting from the three positions.

I would put my vote in for a reduced Muster of six, or perhaps seven, main stages on Saturday with side matches on Friday, and leave Sunday for Judge's conferring, fellowship and photos, awards ceremony, and breaking camp.

I would also like to take Delmonico up on his offer to volunteer, seein' as he's the 'official' Commissary. Especially as it sounds as if he won't have to plan for the banquet so could actually join us for that meal. I've always wanted to see him dressed up in his going to town duds.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2011, 12:52:10 PM »
Not that I want to add to your load, Col., but maybe bring down a sampling of the 'official' steel targets (prone, kneeling and standing)
I could do that. ...Of course maybe we could have folks come the the Department Muster and see them there ::) ;)

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 471
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2011, 10:41:55 PM »
I could do that. ...Of course maybe we could have folks come the the Department Muster and see them there ::) ;)

"Does he wish me to engage the enemy or just merely observe him in his natural habitat?" ;D
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2011, 12:26:21 AM »
was driving home froma SASS match yesterday and had a thoughnt on all this.

how about we use the standard time and must hit targets,(keep reloading and engaging until all targets are hit) or timed with miss penilties to dertiimethe placement within the catagories.  But use a hit point or hit percentage system to determine overall placement for champion points which could put the shooters with less  than 3 in there catagorie in the running for champion. keeps time as a factor and accuracy.  just like in combat?

just another couple of cents from me.
Bow View Haymaker

SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2011, 07:58:49 AM »
how about we use the standard time and must hit targets,(keep reloading and engaging until all targets are hit) or timed with miss penilties to dertiimethe placement within the catagories.  But use a hit point or hit percentage system to determine overall placement for champion points which could put the shooters with less  than 3 in there catagorie in the running for champion. keeps time as a factor and accuracy.  just like in combat?
...or keep standard time scoring and add the long range as a third criteria for Brigade Championship and use hit percentage as one of the tie breakers. This emphasises speed AND accuracy and reduces the need for one to actually win ALL his classes to to be in the running for the BC plus makes the BC less dependant on a subjective class (the uniform) by adding another objective class.

In other words, Combat course (main match) + Sniper Course (long range match)+Uniform= Brigade Championship.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2011, 10:32:01 PM »
The only advantage I see with the hit percentage is it can be used to determine an overall top shooter from all catagories  and this would give moreshoooters a chance at brigaade champion points. expecially ones with only 1or 2 in their catagory.  otherwise I like the timed stages  to keep the action moving.  I know we don't want to be in a race to see who can empty their guns the fastest, but we also don'twant to becomea bulsey or slow fire silouette match.  interesting conudrum?
Bow View Haymaker

SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • NCOWS #: 851
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2011, 09:05:27 AM »
   Any progress here?
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2011, 12:19:57 PM »
Yes, we're gaining. In fact, I think we're pretty close. However; we want to take enough time to make sure we don't end up with any ambiguities we had before. Plus we have a couple of minor issues that we haven't been able to agree on. In these cases either answer would be right, but we want to make sure we choose the BEST answer.

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • NCOWS #: 851
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2012, 05:20:09 PM »

? ? ?
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2012, 08:50:21 PM »
Trap,

Several of us have been working on updating the Muster Guide for the last month or so and it is nearing completion.  I'm in the process of making some format changes and insuring that we have no conflicting information, and that we have fully addressed some issues that have caused problems in the past.  I've been devoting most of my free time to the Guide the last few weeks, to the point that I'm not been visiting the Barracks very often the last week or so.

Bear with us.  We're making considerable progress and should be finished shortly.  I spent several hours on it today and will be doing the same tomorrow, at which time I hope we can put it through the final review.

US Scout
GAF, Commanding 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com