Author Topic: 1860 Spencer Carbine - Cartouche Stamp - Stock ?  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Lonesome George

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
1860 Spencer Carbine - Cartouche Stamp - Stock ?
« on: July 31, 2020, 09:23:12 AM »
Happy Friday folks.   Looking more at this Spencer Carbine.  On the right side of the butt stock, there is a circular 'stamp' ( imprint ) in the stock, that appears to have an E and an L or F, and some symbol.     Probably an inspector or armory stamp.

Couple of photos attached.

You can also see the faint remains of what looks like the numbers 208 (written by hand, worn ).

I have seen some more 'oblong' markings with XXX ( 3 initials ), but not this circular shape.

Any ideas from some of your folks that have been around these old Spencers for a while, on the circle stamp?

Thanks again.

Offline Lonesome George

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: 1860 Spencer Carbine - Cartouche Stamp - Stock ?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 09:31:26 AM »
Here is more reference to where the stamp is on the stock ( zoomed out view of the stock ).

Offline DJ

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 08:20:22 AM »
I'll take a stab at it--looks like a flaming ordnance bomb, but not the one used by the U.S. 

Perhaps the "E" is for "Ejército" (Spanish for "Army") or "Exército" (Portuguese for "Army").  Argentina, for example, marked some weapons of that era "E. N."  for "Ejército Nacional" or "National Army."  I don't know if they used a flaming/smoking bomb (assuming that's what your cartouche depicts).

Possibly sold to a Latin American or European country--the "bomb" design looks familiar, but I can't find a match on line yet.

That's my guess.

--DJ
edited to add clarification re Argentine usage

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:24:27 AM »

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 11:10:36 AM »
It would be interesting to see the receiver markings.

Offline Lonesome George

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 01:22:00 PM »
I'll take a stab at it--looks like a flaming ordnance bomb, but not the one used by the U.S. 

Perhaps the "E" is for "Ejército" (Spanish for "Army") or "Exército" (Portuguese for "Army").  Argentina, for example, marked some weapons of that era "E. N."  for "Ejército Nacional" or "National Army."  I don't know if they used a flaming/smoking bomb (assuming that's what your cartouche depicts).

Possibly sold to a Latin American or European country--the "bomb" design looks familiar, but I can't find a match on line yet.

That's my guess.

--DJ
edited to add clarification re Argentine usage

Thanks.   Yes, I thought/think the same on the Flaming Bomb image in the stamp.     Remains a mystery.

Offline Lonesome George

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 01:23:52 PM »
It would be interesting to see the receiver markings.

Here is the main receiver rollmark and serial number from the same Carbine.    Neither seem odd or unique, so far, at least to me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com