Author Topic: CCW guns  (Read 39074 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
CCW guns
« on: January 14, 2017, 08:44:04 PM »
Who carries what as a licenced CCW permit holder?

We don't have CCW laws here in Canuckistan, but if  we did, I know what I'd be packing - either my S&W M66 2-1/2" snubby or it's M19 brother in blue.

I started shooting IDPA (a game predicated on US CCW laws) with my 1911s, but to keep a newbie revolver friend company, I started using my M66 4". Then the M66 snubby came along and I discovered the ideal IDPA gun for me.

The M19 snubby caught my eye at a price I couldn't refuse so .... well, you know how it goes. It has had an action job done by someone who knew his craft. Silky smooth DA to the point where you don't even think about SA.

Shooting against the 9mm "spray & pray" crowd is a ball. Yes, they have faster times, but I rarely hit less than "0" down on my targets. Reloads are another matter, but no COF can exceed 18 rds, making them 'revolver friendly'. Our laws restrict semi-autos to 10 rd mags, so there is no real advantage. If you've ever fumbled a mag change, you know what I mean.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: CCW guns
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 10:48:20 PM »
If we had CCW in Canada I would be carrying my S&W 686 4"bbl .357 mag.  I prefer a wheel gun over semi autos.  I remember carrying the Browning 9mm in a closed holster in the Air Force.  After you fumbled it out of the holster, you had to take the safety off then rack it. After I was CFR'd I was issued a Colt Cobra in .38 spl.  it was open holster and a lot quicker to get into firing position but, I rarely carried it.

Just as a humorus aside, when I was a young buck Air Force Policeman working midnight shift, it was on a nuclear base and during the winter we carried our 9mm pistol in our parka pocket.  I found the Officer's Mess unlocked.  Doing the internal check I saw a bowl of fruit and I took a banana and put it in my parka pocket (I was on ration strength so it was legal) with the 9mm and then forgot about it.  After a night of in and out of the vehicle, and at the end of the shift when I took my pistol out of the pocket it was jammed full of banana.  Bandana up the barrel, banana in the internals.....well, you kind of get the picture. 

Ah!  The good old days.... gone forever.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 06:04:35 AM »
Vintage (pre lock) nickel model 36 Chief’s Special is my favored choice every day.
1 round disadvantage I know, but I prefer the less printability profile in casual Florida climate clothing.
Revolver reliability is another reason, I have considered a Model 60 , and may get one just for the Stainless, but so far the nickel has served well & faithful.

On rare occasion, like in the State management areas ( My Wife works for the State Wildlife Management )
my go to is a 1911 , but the little 36 is in my pocket as well.

when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:28:38 AM »

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 08:14:36 AM »
Just beginning with carrying-since Jan 1st we have so called "Constitutional Carry" in Mo, no permits needed. There's usually a Ruger LCP in my coat pocket. Haven't worked out yet what I will do when it gets warmer.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 10:51:43 AM »
Vintage (pre lock) nickel model 36 Chief’s Special is my favored choice every day.
1 round disadvantage I know, but I prefer the less printability profile in casual Florida climate clothing.
Revolver reliability is another reason, I have considered a Model 60 , and may get one just for the Stainless, but so far the nickel has served well & faithful.

On rare occasion, like in the State management areas ( My Wife works for the State Wildlife Management )
my go to is a 1911 , but the little 36 is in my pocket as well.

Canadian female Military Police were issued the S&W Chiefs Special 5 shot in .38 in 1974 and were still using them when I retired in '87.

SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 11:04:47 AM »
If we had CCW in Canada I would be carrying my S&W 686 4"bbl .357 mag.  I prefer a wheel gun over semi autos.  I remember carrying the Browning 9mm in a closed holster in the Air Force.  After you fumbled it out of the holster, you had to take the safety off then rack it. After I was CFR'd I was issued a Colt Cobra in .38 spl.  it was open holster and a lot quicker to get into firing position but, I rarely carried it.

I didn't think that the safety could be applied on an uncocked Inglis Hi-Power.

I've got a nice little S&W M60 with a "banana grip" that I really like, but I don't shoot it and can't use it in IDPA as you need a 6 rd capacity. It would be an ideal CCW. There is enough of a handicap in the game without being down one round. I'm considering trading it off on a M63 in .22LR.

I shot a three rd group with the M60 at 15 yds that was well under the size of a dime. Kept that target for years.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Fred_G

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 06:20:16 PM »
Commander slide officer frame 1911 in 38 Super.  If I am going to a 'gun free zone'  that day, a S&W M&P 9C works as well.

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 11:50:51 AM »
My goal this year is to get a CCL.   So this is good information for me.

As best I can tell, it is going to require me to have some wardrobe changes (and loosing a few lbs would help too!) to conceal a handgun of a good defense caliber and capacity.  I do like revolvers, and I have a S&W Model 60 that belongs to my ex-mother-in-law (long story, I've been baby sitting it for over a decade since she moved to  Massachusetts...I should go ahead and buy it from her!).  It is concealable in the front pocket of loose pants, but not very easily accessed.  This has lead me to considering sub-compact autos such as a Sig 938, Ruger LC9 (it think this is the model designation for the 9 mm) or Springfield XDs. 

At the very least, I'll get a NAA mini revolver and put it in my front pocket...better to have and not need, than to not have and need!

Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 01:30:51 PM »
I own a M60 and i think that you'll find carrying it in a front pocket is not going to be very comfortable. The gun will also be exposed to a lot of pocket lint, etc. You want that gun to WORK when you need it!

There is a plethora of good CCW holster design out there. You may have to experiment a little to find one that works for you. Holster suitability is a totally subjective thing. What works for one person will not necessarily work for another.

I'd fire a few of the small frame pocket pistols first before deciding which way to go. You aren't looking to be in a prolonged gunfight so magazine capacity need not be a determining factor.

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 02:22:08 PM »
Good points PJ...I plan to visit the local range and rent some of the sub compacts, and lean on some friends to let me try some of theirs.  I fired a Springfield XDs in 45 acp several years ago when they came out.  I was fairly impressed with the size and power, but I had some failures to go to battery.  I was fairly new to the game, so it may have been me limp wristing the gun.  I'll revisit it.
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline Tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 03:50:02 PM »
I love my revolvers, but for CC I always carry my S&W Bodyguard 380.  The little pocket 380's will always be flatter and they hold a couple more rounds than the typical 5 shot 38 special revolver.

Offline Fred_G

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 07:12:48 PM »
The main thing is to get a good belt and holster.  I am fairly slim, can carry a full sized 1911 with just a button down shirt over a t-shirt as a cover garment.  The smaller pocket guns are OK, but not what I would choose.

Jason Winnie makes my carry holsters.  Good product at a decent price.  Bought a lot of holsters before I found what works best for me.

Offline Rye Miles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 07:33:18 PM »
I've been carrying since 2004 when CCW was passed in Ohio. I've had various carry guns, right now it's the Ruger LC9s in 9mm!! 8)
Northeast Ohio

God created man, Sam Colt made them equal

Offline Oldtrader3

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 10:59:55 PM »
It depends, if I am dressed up for an appointment or social occasion, I usually carry a Colt Mustang .380 in a Sneaky Pete under my jacket.  For daily carry in jeans and vest, I carry either a holstered 2 inch, Model 60, .38 Spec+P or a 3 inch, Model 60, .357 Mag.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 11:36:37 PM »
Colt Government .380 or an old battle-weary Star 43 in 9mm.

Once in awhile just for s---s and giggles I carry my "new" S&W 38SA second model in .38 S&W / .38 Short Colt / British .30-200.  It's safe with all five chambers loaded and is about equivalent to the .380... which is carried simultaneously.  It's just a touch of the past, but not a serious CCW piece.

Cold weather gun is a 1911 .45.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 08:51:02 AM »

PJ  I may have used the wrong term.  I called it the safety but it was the slide which has two notches on the left side that can be used to lock the slide open with the push up button or, the rear one for preventing the slide to rack.  It has been 48 years since I operated the Browning.  That was when I was issued the Colt Cobra.

Just as an aside, when they brought female MP's back into the trade in 1973, they issued them the S&W Chiefs Special 5 shot in .38 spl.  I could never understand why they would give a front line MP a 5 shot revolver.  It would make an acceptable CCW firearm.

I have no idea what firearms MP's carry today.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 11:18:57 AM »
You might be referring to the slide stop lever which can be manually operated or automatically when the gun is shot dry.

The current service pistol is still the Ingis Hi-Power along with some Sig P226s in the mix. An Afghanistan vet told me that "they were handing out pistols like candy over there", with next to no training. People who never set foot outside the wire looked cool having coffee at Timmy's Kandahar outlet.

I had a commercial model during my 12 years service so I aced qualification with the issue pistol. At the Arctic Warfare School in Churchill, Manitoba, I was gifted with a 5000 rd case of ball ammo and burned it up on the tundra getting to know the gun very well. Shot it for years later in IPSC.

There is talk now of a replacement for the Inglis Hi-Power, the Glock a strong contender. God help us! A plastic framed pistol designed to be fool proof in the hands of fools. What could go wrong? Remember what happened when police departments started issuing Glocks?

There is little to no chance of the BHPs being sold off as surplus, but that doesn't account for the number of them already in civilian hands. They can't ALL be stolen guns.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 01:26:45 PM »
I have a Mk I Inglis with a T serial #. Bought it in "Prince".  Registered as a "Browning" so I assume a lunch box special!
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2017, 01:48:37 PM »
If it is a "lunch box special", there are a lot of them out there! They pop up on CGN regularly.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2017, 12:09:29 PM »
Currently carrying a RIA compact 1911 in .45 ACP. But, thinking of getting something a bit lighter.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com