Author Topic: New Model 1863 Sharps !!  (Read 2525 times)

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
New Model 1863 Sharps !!
« on: November 26, 2018, 09:28:20 PM »
 Hope this is the right place to post ?? A friend came by this evening ,"said ya' might find this interesting " it is a barrel off of a " New Model 1863 SHARPS " still has quite a bit of origl. blueing , the bore needs a good cleaning , but the rifling is strong  serial # C. 285xx , the origl. saddle is gone off the rear sight but the yardage marks are clear ( up to 800 yds. ) origl. front sight ,,barrel does have some rust on the outside but NOT pitted ,, all-n-all pretty good shape. Wants to know what the value would be ," not my area " , but know some feller's who might.
  Any info. would be very helpful . My ( " un wanted >:( ) ,, up dated computer won't let me do pic anymore ( sucks, sucks , sucks  ).

smoke'm if ya' got'm ,, Hootmix.

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
Re: New Model 1863 Sharps !!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 09:10:46 AM »
Slam, I would ask over at the n-ssa.org bulletin board. Those boys are serious skirmishers and many run the old percussion Sharps carbines.

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 10:51:38 AM »
Slamfire,

Ditto on what Bill says. Sounds like you have a good find there but the coverage on this end of the forum will be minimal. Advertising it on the n-ssa.org bulletin board is an excellent idea.  There will be a lot of skirmishers there who will approach you with more questions.  There are also sites like Trackofthewolf.com who may be able to help you sell it on consignment as well.

Good luck with that. I imagine that you should be able to sell that off right quick.

-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:12:04 AM »

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 01:51:00 PM »
 Thanks guy's ,, been tied-up ,,,sorry I didn't get back to ya' sooner ,, will I have to join N-SSA just to post my info ?? I'v took pics.

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 03:14:13 PM »
Nossir. You can post as a guest there as far as I recall. It's a very useful board.

Offline Arizona Trooper

• Top Active Citizen
    • Civil War Guns
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 03:12:13 PM »
Put up the whole number and I'll check it in McAulay's Sharps book. Just got a hit on a Sharps NM 1863 rifle that came in. It was issued to the 6th Veteran Volunteer Infantry in '65.

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 07:45:04 AM »
 Hey Arizona ,, just ck'd the forum,, the # C.28566 ,, can do pics. by E-mail if need be. That info would be neat to know ,, Thank ya' for the help .

Offline Arizona Trooper

• Top Active Citizen
    • Civil War Guns
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 08:01:09 PM »
No hit, but close numbers in the the 2nd Arkansas Cav, 1st Md Cav (US) and their fellow travelers in the Potomac Home Brigade. There are some close numbers as well in the Veteran Volunteer Infantry, but those are three band rifles.   

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 10:34:13 PM »
 Arizona,, want to thank ya' for your information . The barrel does not show that it was treated badly, rifling's are to good. But will ck. back with my friends wife & son and see if they know where he may have gotten from. Again " Thank you ".

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com