Author Topic: Span Am Film clips.  (Read 763 times)

Online Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Span Am Film clips.
« on: January 31, 2022, 11:11:33 PM »
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Span Am Film clips.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2022, 08:02:22 AM »
Those are pretty cool!  Hard to believe those guys have all been dead for forty or fifty years.  I remember seeing a story in about '87 that the last Rough Rider who went up the hill with Teddy Roosevelt died.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2022, 09:10:38 AM »
Very cool, I will be running that Video in a loop at the Museum, Thanks for the link... :)

The last surviving veteran of the Spanish American War:

There are no longer any veterans surviving from the Spanish American War today. The last surviving veteran was Jones Morgan, a man of color. Mr. Jones passed away in Richmond, Virginia on August 29, 1993 at the incredible age of 110 years, 10 months and 6 days. Mr. Morgan lost his military records in a fire, and no records of his service have been found. The lack of records is not unexpected. He was born on October 23, 1882 in Newberry County, South Carolina. Morgan ran away at the age of fifteen to join the army in 1897, signing up with the 9th U.S. Cavalry, also known as the"Buffalo Soldiers." He served for two years before his family located him and had him discharged.  Since he had run away and was underage, it is likely that he used an alias when he enlisted, so his records would be nearly impossible to find. He served as a cook and as a horse wrangler. Jones Morgan served in Cuba, and apparently saw the assault on San Juan Hill, but did not take part in the assault himself. He also indicated that he helped wrangle horses for the Rough Riders. Jones Morgan was buried in Section 16 of the Forest Lawn Cemetery and Mausoleum, in Richmond, Virginia.

The Last surviving Rough Rider:

The last "Rough Rider" was Jesse Langdon. He passed away on June 28, 1975. Langdon served in K Troop. Langdon was cremated and his ashes scattered.

The last surviving Spanish American War Medal of Honor recipient:

The last surviving Medal of Honor recipient from the Spanish American War was John Davis, a Gunners' Mate, 3rd Class aboard the U.S.S. MARBLEHEAD. Davis was wounded in the right leg during the cutting of the cables at Cienfuegos on May 11, 1898. David died on June 9, 1970 when he was 92 years old. He was buried at Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia.

The last surviving member of the 71st New York Volunteer Infantry:

The last member of the 71st New York to pass away was Ralph Waldo Taylor of Pompano Beach, Florida. He passed away on May 15, 1987 at the age of 105. He had served in Company K. He was placed in Chapel Garden Mausoleum IV at Forest Lawn Memorial Gardens North Pompano Beach, Florida.

As of November 2020, the Department of Veterans Affairs indicated that there were thirty-five spouses and twenty-five children of Spanish American War veterans still receiving pensions.

On a personal note, I got to meet a Veteran of the Spanish American War.
His name was Charlie Wells, I was only 8 or 9 and only knew later of his service.
He passed in 1957 and I recall reading his obituary he had served in the Philippines.

I recall he was poor old sole living on Key Largo in an old ramshackle house he owned.
He was something of the local vagabond character. Those were different times...
Mr. Wells would make his rounds around the key, share fishing stories and latest local gossip for a beer or two. 
My Dad & Mom had a weekend house on Key Largo Sound, and Charlie would stop by for a visit, often having had a few.   
Dad gave him a ride home once or twice when Charlie was in his cups (that's when I saw his place)
I never heard him speak of his time in uniform.

At some point he was taken in by his sister, and when he passed his sister arranged his military funeral.
He had to have been in his mid 70's I'd guess.

when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:07:09 PM »

Online Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2022, 10:06:45 AM »
Those are pretty cool!  Hard to believe those guys have all been dead for forty or fifty years.  I remember seeing a story in about '87 that the last Rough Rider who went up the hill with Teddy Roosevelt died.

Supposedly one of the guys that went up with TR was a Hickey, from New Jersey, supposed to be related.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline El Tio Loco

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2022, 10:54:15 AM »
Thanks Delmonico for the share.  It is always an eye opener looking at period footage of soldiers from that era, their clothes looked so lived in and unkept, something that you don't often see in reenactors.  Love the misshaped crowns on their hats.
Great footage!
Ken

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2022, 03:54:03 PM »
I've got a DVD with all those on it.  Liked to take it to the VFW and play it for folks on my laptop.  (VFW formed immediately after the SAW)

Interesting that the one titled "close view of the USS Brooklyn" is actually an Indiana class Battleship.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com