Author Topic: Jumped into the 'Snake Pit' ....  (Read 1974 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Jumped into the 'Snake Pit' ....
« on: October 21, 2020, 08:06:12 PM »
with the acquisition of a mint (maybe unfired) 4" Colt Python. Beautiful gun, definitely not in the same league of any of my S&Ws re: SA/DA trigger pull!

I'm going to have to learn how to shoot it with the infamous Colt 'stacking' DA pull. Even the SA pull is twice what any of my S&W has. Really makes me hold well until the hammer drops.

Coming in the mail to give it company is an unfired Colt Officer Model Target (1955 c/w original receipt for $85.) in .38 Spl. It too will be shot. I don't believe in owning a gun that I cannot/will not shoot. That renders them into expensive paper weights. I cannot afford to preserve guns for others to inherit someday.

I expect it to be a jewel like the Python and will be used in club level silhouette matches.

My only other REAL colt is a Series '70 Gold Cup. It too has a surprisingly heavy pull for a target pistol, but it is very crisp with no creep.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: Jumped into the 'Snake Pit' ....
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 08:52:22 PM »
".... I don't believe in owning a gun that I cannot/will not shoot. That renders them into expensive paper weights. I cannot afford to preserve guns for others to inherit someday. "

WORD !

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 11:29:34 AM »
Thanks!  I get flak from some who regard shooting such guns as vandalism. I'm a shooter, not a museum curator.

There is a mystique associated with the Python and those who worship at the Python altar regard it as the be all and end all of DA revolvers. Dissing it (read: saying it has a lousy DA trigger pull) is regarded as heresy.

I have several (more than I want to think about ....) S&Ws that are just as nicely fitted while perhaps not as well finished. I installed after market mainsprings and rebound springs and they all purr like a contented pussy cat.

Three favourites are a 4" M29 and a 2-1/2" M19 that were obviously worked on by competent 'smiths. I don't even think of shooting them SA as they are so smooth in DA mode. My latest is a 5" 686-6, a product of the S&W Pro Shop. Very well fitted and silky smooth in both SA and DA modes.

My advice to anyone considering investing (and it IS an investment!) in a Python (new or old model) is to buy an old model S&W M27. It will do anything the Python will do at a fraction of the price and have all the pride of ownership any man's ego needs.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:13:39 AM »

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • AKA: Broken Nose Scotty
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 04:30:46 PM »
I read during some Python research, that the hot ticket for revolver bullseye shooting back in the day, was a hybrid consisting of a S&W with a Python barrel screwed on-The Smython!  At least the S&W guys liked the Colt barrel.
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 06:01:21 PM »
I believe they were also called "Smolts" and there were "Cougers", the latter being a Ruger with a Python barrel.

What they had going for them over a full Python or S&W I don't know, after custom gunsmithing, but they looked cool.

Offline medic15al

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 01:48:23 AM »
I believe they were also called "Smolts" and there were "Cougers", the latter being a Ruger with a Python barrel.

What they had going for them over a full Python or S&W I don't know, after custom gunsmithing, but they looked cool.

Some preferred the smoother S&W DA trigger while enjoying the more accurate Python barrel. Usually PPC and action revolver competitors. Different twist rate and I think a very slight taper to muzzle engaging the bullet to rifling completely, but not 100% sure on that.
Pacem in corde meo, Mors de guns

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2020, 04:35:17 PM »
Then that was a smart move to avoid the cost of civilizing the Colt DA pull.

I don't think that Colt seriously thought of the Python as a DA revolver or they wouldn't have made it with such a pronounced ribbed trigger. DA dry firing mine, I get the feeling it was intended to take the skin off your trigger finger.

On my S&W's, I have either installed a smooth trigger or ground down the wide target triggers to something more manageable for DA shooting.

I polished the trigger on my 686-6 Pro Shop to a mirror like finish. My finger just naturally rolls on it.

Offline medic15al

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2020, 04:45:29 PM »
I saw an old cop in the mid 70s (he was about to retire then) who was close with my grand dad. He pulled out his Colt 357(the model) and he had a checkered trigger on it!!! :o Yikes!

I was about 7 and a confirmed gun nut in 1977....
\
Oh, it was nickled and had shiny chrome metal butt plate "door knockers"

Fancy iron!!

Pacem in corde meo, Mors de guns

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2020, 05:05:48 PM »
Checkered triggers were definitely intended for SA target shooting.

Right up until the RCMP stopped using S&W M10s, they were taught to SA cock their revolvers. Little by little they came into the 20th century after many of their members got involved in IPSC and learned how to shoot with two paws.

Then they were issued a DA only S&W 9mm semi-auto with arguably the worst trigger ever on a handgun. Watching them shoot (before they hustle your butt off the range) is an embarrassment.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2020, 11:19:48 AM »
Fwiw, the sweetest DA pull I have is a 1922 Colt Army Special.  Looks beat to hell, but a wonderful trigger.  Colt had some great folks putting together those 'tween war revolvers.  But close behind it is an 1980 Ruger Security Six with Wolff Springs. Best DA revolver Ruger ever made.  My S&W 1902 does come in a nice 3rd.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2020, 03:07:15 PM »
I'm looking forward to the arrival of my Colt Officer Model Target in .38 Spl.

It predates the Python and was Colt's top of the line revolver at the time. The seller told me it had a 'smooth action' but he is not a shooter so I don't know what standard he was going by.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the day of NRA handgun revolver matches, was there not a 'rapid fire' event where shooters would fire in DA mode? Or did they just cock the hammer faster?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com