Author Topic: What is up with SASS  (Read 27786 times)

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
Re: What is up with SASS
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2020, 10:16:51 PM »
I shoot almost every weekend and I see new shooters (young and old) at almost every shoot. I see families that have children just starting to shoot.
wM1

That's great! not what I've seen in past years though.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2020, 11:07:26 PM »
Wildman1, where do you shoot?  There are new shooters fairly often around here, not every match.  But there are a few interested visitors watching most matches.  I think we will continue to get some old farts like us who also grew up on the westerns but simply couldn't get started due to their jobs or other responsibilities, but once they retire they can start playing.

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2020, 05:41:55 AM »
This year not as much as usual. So far from Ohio to Texas and Alabama and Tennessee to Idaho and in between.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 12:12:17 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2020, 03:20:46 PM »

Unfortunately, Collectively, we are NOT getting enough influx of new shooters to keep the Game at it's current levels.  Just ain't gonna happen.  Boo Hisssssssss

Hide and Watch

Offline Oregon Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2020, 09:26:49 PM »
I work part time at our county shooting range in La Luz, NM, once a bright spot for SASS along with Ruidoso. This is the heart of Billy the Kid country. I see five, six or seven show up for the monthly match. Less than five and they quietly put all the stuff back in the conex box. The boys and girls are tired. They gave up on SASS affiliation some time back. I can only tell what I see.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2020, 08:55:50 AM »

My home state use to be a hotbed of CAS activity.  I was able to shoot every weekend and not have to drive more than an hour at most.  CAS clubs everywhere.  Now I only get one match a month.  for the other match, I have to go out of state.

CAS clubs have dried up and blown away just like Fall Leaves.

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2020, 04:11:02 PM »
Well I suppose we're lucky in central Texas, I can still shoot every weekend, and sometimes Sundays as well.  Closest is 30 miles, furthest 105.  Plus no shutting down for winter. 

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2020, 06:23:13 AM »
We usually have a choice of 2 sometimes 4 different clubs to shoot at every weekend. One range we frequent has 2 clubs and we now can shoot there every weekend although two of the shoots are WB.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2020, 06:51:53 AM »
A look at SASS Affiliated Clubs in Florida, reveal's  if one wanted to,  they could shoot every weekend, both days somewhere.
Granted travel would be involved some 200+ miles.
I used to shoot with the Weewahootee Vigilance Committee (25 miles north)
 and Okeechobee Marshals (about 60 miles south ) but that was a decade ago.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Matthew Duncan

• Cutter’s Raiders# 13
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 23189
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2021, 07:21:36 PM »
Do I pay another $65 to remain a dues paying SASS member?  Or because I rarely go to State or above match in the past save the $65?

EoT this year is $250 plus another $50 for a bit of grass to park my Rv on.  That's $300 plus $65 for the privilege?

I came up with a third option.  Since I'm retired I would like to go to neighboring State matches and Guns of August again.  So I paid to become a SASS life member instead.  Money saved by skipping 2010 EoT was used towards the life membership cost.  Perhaps the influx of my life membership money will keep SASS viable for another year?
Major General J.E.B. Stuart's Division
Captain 1st Maryland Artillery, C.S.A.
SASS# 23189

Disclaimer:  I have not slept in any hotel recently, not a certified CAS rule web lawyer.  Have not attended any RO III or RO VI classes.  Opinions expressed are by a cowpoke who believes the year is 1868.

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2021, 08:27:59 PM »
Good for you Matthew.  Other state's matches are too far from central Texas  :) .  I live with my 96 year old mom and can't stray too far.  But some day I'll do a lot more travelling to big matches. 

So here we are one week into February and I've already shot 8 matches this year!  I thought I'd have enough ammo for the year, but not at this rate, so I better slow down a bit.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2022, 02:23:17 PM »
EOT 2022 is over, think folks had a good time.  The AZ Rangers worked really hard to set it up, operate, tear down and store everything.  Working on next years EOT has began in the minds of the Rough Riders hoping to make EOT even better next year.  Thanks to all who worked it and even more thanks to the shooters.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2022, 02:51:20 PM »
EOT 2022 is over, think folks had a good time.  The AZ Rangers worked really hard to set it up, operate, tear down and store everything.  Working on next years EOT has began in the minds of the Rough Riders hoping to make EOT even better next year.  Thanks to all who worked it and even more thanks to the shooters.
Isn't it the same crew who have been putting on Winter Range for years?  They are very good at it.

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2022, 06:25:02 AM »
Some Rangers retire every year but we have an influx of new folks every year also.
wM1

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2022, 07:50:34 AM »
I’m still on the fence on my renewal this year. Became a member in ‘96 but I haven’t been to a state or regional in maybe 12-15 years. I had been renewing just to support the organization as my gal and I have had a lot of good times at sass events. Still shooting cas and having fun with zsa, trying to do a couple shoots a month. Playing with my old guns and more modern guns. I was the only shooter out of 44 at the last zsa match shooting a .45. Shot it clean [approx 96 rounds] and came in exactly in the middle. Shooting anything is fun.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Cowtown

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 85193
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2022, 10:55:56 AM »
I bought the SASS Life membership when SASS offered it in 4 payment installments. I've had the time of my life participating in CAS/SASS and because of this game/sport I have made quite a few friends and developed great friendships over the years. I was happy to pay the cost of the gold badge and wear it proudly at every match. I am young enough the life membership up front cost will save me in the long run. I don't get to shoot as often as I'd like for all of life's reasons. My wife also has a SASS membership although she has only shot ONE monthly in her entire life. Her alias is too good to give up and she does plan on getting more into this when the kids are out and on their own. Because of what SASS has done over the years I get a chance to fun like no where else so the cost membership is not an issue. The real costs have been buying all this cowboy stuff, traveling, lodging, etc. Membership fee in SASS is the last cost I'd ever worry about.

Hopefully upon retirement we move to Texas By God and I do get to shoot and compete every weekend.  ;)

Offline Roscoe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2022, 11:31:53 AM »
I bought the SASS Life membership when SASS offered it in 4 payment installments. I've had the time of my life participating in CAS/SASS and because of this game/sport I have made quite a few friends and developed great friendships over the years. I was happy to pay the cost of the gold badge and wear it proudly at every match. I am young enough the life membership up front cost will save me in the long run. I don't get to shoot as often as I'd like for all of life's reasons. My wife also has a SASS membership although she has only shot ONE monthly in her entire life. Her alias is too good to give up and she does plan on getting more into this when the kids are out and on their own. Because of what SASS has done over the years I get a chance to fun like no where else so the cost membership is not an issue. The real costs have been buying all this cowboy stuff, traveling, lodging, etc. Membership fee in SASS is the last cost I'd ever worry about.

Hopefully upon retirement we move to Texas By God and I do get to shoot and compete every weekend.  ;)

I hope at that time you will have primers, powder, and lead.

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2022, 10:04:30 PM »
Gents, my 2 cents;
And affiliation used to be free.  Key words "used to be", and they are past tense.  Now affiliation will cost a club $100.00 per year to be a SASS affiliated club.  My club is just going to LOVE hearing that!

In service,

LtCol Long
That is why our club dropped out.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2022, 10:43:22 PM »
We voted ourselves out when the Rulebook dustup occurred eons ago but became a WASA club. Best of both worlds.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com