Author Topic: H & R Handi Rifle  (Read 1572 times)

Offline Fence Fighter

• "When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." G. Carlin
  • Citizen
  • Navy Colts for fun and '58 Remmies for fightin'
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
H & R Handi Rifle
« on: March 12, 2011, 01:25:03 PM »
I got a confusing ad from GOA today, that said H&R Handi Rifle is not suitable for formal CAS work. Is that true? I thought pistol calibers &.45/.70 Govt. were legal for Plainsman & long range. Black Powder and Substitutes ??? powered of course.

Fence
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: H & R Handi Rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 02:31:09 PM »
Well, the rules say

Must use a SASS–legal single-shot rifle firing a traditional blackpowder rifle or revolver
caliber cartridge (e.g., not a .30-30). The rifle may have spring actuated ejectors if they are
standard for that rifle.

Single Shot and Buffalo Single Shot firearms must be originals or replicas of single shot
rifles manufactured during the period from approximately 1860 until 1899. All rifles MUST
have exposed hammers. The caliber and cartridge rules for the “Rifle Caliber” firearms noted
above under basic rules also apply to Single Shot and Buffalo Single Shot rifles with the
exception Buffalo Single Shot rifles must be .375" bore size or larger.

BUT I bought the H&R specifically for shooting Long Range and many others have as well.  So they were legal at some time and my husband, who is a TG, said that nothing has come up making them illegal since they were ruled legal.  There was a big stink about it at one time at which point they said they were ok to use in side matches.  I'm going to check into it further and see if we missed something some where.

Now having said all that, a club can make their own rules about what they will and will not allow in side matches.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Fence Fighter

• "When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." G. Carlin
  • Citizen
  • Navy Colts for fun and '58 Remmies for fightin'
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 12:25:55 PM »
      ;)Yep, that's the way  I saw things to. In my research on the issue, I got a little confused, probably due to the  past controversey you mention. I'm beginning to think nothing has really been resolved, and it's an event and club by club issue. The higher ups need to step in and provide some guidance at some point, but I suspect some folks will be unhappy. They look close enough to Rem. rolling blocks to me in spirit, if not in execution, but everybodys got an opinion.
       If I was still a hunter, it would be a simple decision, except for a .choice between 45/.70 or .44 Rem. Mag. At my age and position in life, capital outlay has to take a backseat to usefulness and function. I don't need to leave anymore trinkets behind, for the kids to fight over, when I'm gone.   

Thanks for your informative words,
                                                                             Fence 
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:34:40 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com