Author Topic: Old Advertisement  (Read 792 times)

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Old Advertisement
« on: January 03, 2023, 08:56:20 AM »
These old advertisement are Cool to read . This must be another one they got wrong . I was told by a Winchester 1876 Expert , that Winchester never made an 1876  Winchester Target Gun . What say you ???? ,,,,,DT

Offline Boone May

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Very Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 5904
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Old Advertisement
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023, 10:09:10 AM »
That expert was plain wrong.  For many years, Winchester advertised the special order version of the 1876 as a target rifle in their catalog.  It was their flagship rifle.  One was even used at the Creedmoor range by a Captain Stetson and won a prize.  The reprints of the late 1870's and early 1880's catalogs have a report.
"There are a few things they didn't tell me when I hired on with this outfit."

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 10:48:07 AM »
I agree totally  Boone and you echoed my exact position  back then .  I finally tired of the discussion  and just let it go . ,,,DT

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:49:37 PM »

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2023, 05:24:05 AM »
experts huh!
of course they made a target version of the 76
whey else would they have made target ammo in 45/75. 
Dusty posted that pic here a couple years ago -----450 grain round nose PP boolit over 90 grains of powder

sent me off on a tangent with my Uberti - I have a 460 grain grease boolit (similar nose profile as the Lyman Postel) that I can get about 80 grains under - single loaded as its way too long for the magazine to feed - rifle was pretty accurate with the normal boolits but this one loaded out to touch the lands is icing on the cake.

only problem with this is once you chamber a round you are kinda committed to firing it - otherwise its a fiddle to get the case rim out from under the extractor to clear the gun.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com