Author Topic: Holster Styles & Variations  (Read 100701 times)

Offline Johnny Dingus

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Holster Styles & Variations
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2008, 07:44:58 PM »
Really Nice HorsePen,

The belt looks great too with the small amount of spots looks real clean.

So If'n we just mix a bunch of stain together we get our holsters to look that good.....nah.

You have your own style and it looks great.

Keep showing us more so we can drool at yours like we drool at Chucks.

Thanks

Johnny Dingus
Spittin Lead and Packin Steel

Not Looking for a Fight but not Runnin Either

Shootin 45LC Ruger Vaqueros, 45LC USFA
Sass 70597  Yeah they count that far
Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

Offline Gun Butcher

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2008, 08:22:38 PM »
 :o Horsepen you are the master of the basket stamp. And that color is off the scale man. Truly a work of art.....!!
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Offline HorsePen Henry

• Horse Pen Henry aka M.T. Hulls
  • Top Active Citizen
  • My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys...and Indians.
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2008, 08:27:15 PM »
Marshall, I'm laughing with ya, but yep, that's about it fer the recipe. I am working toward a color which is rich as this color but a bit redder of a brown. Look at the holster in the front cover fold of Packin' Iron and you'll see what I mean. I don't mind this color but eventually I will get that perticular color figgered out. I'll just keep monkeyin' with it.

Johnny and Gun Butcher, those are real compliments right there. Thank ya kindly.

Watchyerhair,

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Advertising

« Reply #63 on: Today at 12:47:55 PM »

Offline Gun Butcher

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2008, 09:18:50 PM »
 ;D I just remembered I have an ol' bottle of fiebings ox blood that has been aging in the glass.. as they say.. for about 10 years I might have to give your well balanced and highly scimantific formula a try with my own little twist. ;)
                Gun Butcher
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Offline Dispatch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2008, 01:10:46 AM »
Ya Done good Little Brother!

Here's a set of skirtless holsters I just re-finished to match the belt......I like the style a lot - sort of a best of both worlds approach - better grip on the belt with less flop than a Slim jim, but the grace and minimalist appeal of the SLim Jim.....

[edit:link to image lost]
This is a fantastic rig!!! I think I've found what I'm looking for. I don't know if this rig was rare or not, but it surely is something I've never seen before. The conchos are an extremely nice touch! PM or e-mail me and we can arrange the details for it's make up.

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2008, 03:04:20 AM »
Email sent Dispatch........
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2008, 10:19:22 AM »
Very nice as usual, HorsePen. Good job.

As to the Gaston mod, fellas, I remember coming across that in a book about military leather etc. from the period. Can't remember now what I was researching at the time, but that's where it was. The book in question belongs to fellow NCOWS'er and shooting pard "GW Schofield" (Steve Coop). Next time I'm over there, I'll see if I can find it again.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2008, 05:19:12 PM »
Thanks, Dave. I appreciate your looking. Don't put yourself out or anything but if it happens along, it would be good to see. I like the idea because I've often thought about making a holster with the flap ( greatly cut-down skirt) folded back and sewn to the holster rather than put a loop on it. It would be nice to have it look historically correct.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

mike highgate

« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2009, 07:04:47 AM »
Will

Thanks for your welcome.

You have a nice holster by Rice of Dodge City that is held to the skirt by rivets. What size of rivet is that? And what size of rivet would be authentic for billet and chape?

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • New Life Church Website
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2009, 09:27:48 AM »
Not sure if X Pen will get to this thread for a while, so maybe someone else could let me know what they do.

He says he lets the holsters soak in the dye after he's stitched them up. Any thoughts on how long, or if he rubs them down real good at first, or if he turns them occasionally?

I'm expermenting with various colors right now, so I will throw a small piece in some dye to see how it compares with just a brisk rub.   

One thing for sure, some of you guys: Chuck B, Will, X Pen, (And others I'm sure) have the dye/finish part of this craft down. It really gives me somthing to shoot for, no pun intended! Thanks, JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2009, 10:42:58 AM »
You have a nice holster by Rice of Dodge City that is held to the skirt by rivets. What size of rivet is that? And what size of rivet would be authentic for billet and chape?
Thanks, Mike. I use #14 copper rivets. I got 3/4" length and after I tap the burr on, I cut them to the right length and set them. I use the same rivets on all stuff on a rig that need them but as to what's historically correct, I really don't know. I just figure that if it looks like the right size, it probably is. Perhaps one of the other pards on this forum will know the answer to that.

JD, I like to turn my piece in the dye occasionally so it doesn't get light spots where it contacts the container. With spirit dyes, it doesn't take much to get the color but on the walnut or pecan dyes, where it needs to be in for a few days. Then I turn it every few hours.

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • New Life Church Website
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2009, 07:10:17 PM »
Thanks for that info Will. I was all set to do some dye testing last week, then I got a request to officiate an out of state funeral. That cost me about 3 days total, and set me back a bit on any hobby time.

I'm casing some leather right now. I want to practice some stamping, then I can see what the dye looks like on stamped as well as untouched leather.

Thanks again, JD

The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2009, 08:35:03 PM »
I'm casing some leather right now. I want to practice some stamping, then I can see what the dye looks like on stamped as well as untouched leather.
That's a good idea. I practice and try out new things on scraps. Then I use the scraps to test my dyes. That way I know how the dye penetrates around the cuts and stamping.

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2009, 01:40:29 AM »
I use #14 copper rivets. .......but as to what's historically correct, I really don't know.
IIRC #14's were what was required by the US Military during the latter half of the 19the Century and is the size I've seen most commonly used on civilian gun leather.
#9 and #12 were common on horse gear and were at times used on gun leather so aren't completely "wrong"

BTW - who are you getting your #14's from Will?
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2009, 01:32:27 PM »
Thanks for the information, Chuck.

I think I got them from J. Leahy Co. I think Will Ghormley steered me to them. I just checked the link I have stored but they don't show #14's listed right now. http://www.rjleahy.com/Store/rivets/crvbl.htm.

mike highgate

« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2009, 02:20:07 PM »
Thanks a whole lot, Will and Chuck, for the info on rivets.

mike highgate

« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2009, 08:45:59 AM »
A question for belt-makers.
There are two types of clipped-corner buckles - those that have angled corners inside the buckle as well, and those that don't. Those with the angled corners inside can chafe the billet; I'd like to get hold of the other sort.
Yes, I know that Tandy do a chap buckle that looks right but for my taste it's a little flimsy, a little underweight.
Do any of you vaqueros out there know of a source for buckles of this type?

May I also say what a pleasure it is to find a forum where so much wonderful work - and advice - is on call.

Offline Noz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2009, 01:49:03 PM »
I'm getting ready to make my variation of the slim jim holster for my 1860 Armys.
If I'm making a mistake someone yell loud.
I plan on the trigger guard being completely exposed with a double welt for the front of the trigger guard to rest on. The leather will then curve up over the cylinder and down in front exposing the hammer.

Next possible mistake. I'm using an 8-9 oz "horse butt" piece of leather and plan on lining it with 3 oz. calf.
What say you all?

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2009, 01:11:42 PM »
Howdy Gents ;D

This is a variation of a Cheyenne holster, it has a 3/4 length skirt, and a longer drop from the belt and a muzzle to the rear cant, and open toe, this was my first try at carving.

The second holsters are also a Cheyenne holsters, these  holsters were dyed in natural walnut die, they have a toe plug, and a muzzle to the rear slight cant.

tEN wOLVES
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2009, 01:19:54 PM »
What great looking carving!!  Be proud!! ;D 
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator